Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rag9876

Shane Victorino 2012 Season Outlook

140 posts in this topic

The Flyin Hawaiian is playin for a new contract this year, and I have a feeling he's going to come out motivated. So what are people's projections and thoughts on him this year?

I'll say .280/100/17/60/25 with 20 HR and 30 SB upside.

the thing i love is he'll properly hit in the #2 hole. i hated see him used all over last year. #5 or 6 batter? get that junk outta here. yes, utley & Ry-Ho won't be there early to knock him in. well, maybe runs more manufacture runs. i love me some SV this year.

ill believe him hitting 2nd when I see it. Charlie has an irrational mancrush on polanco in that spot, and after watching him live in clearwater 4 games last week, polanco finally looks healthy enough to not ground out to short in every single at bat like he did last year.

I still do think victorino has a nice year though. With the injuries he will have to hit somewhere good in the lineup at least until the studs get back.

I would like to see a lineup like victorino polanco rollins pence thome/wigginton (and for god sakes make it thome more often than not) mayberry/nix chooch galvis to start the year, but I doubt we see that. FWIW jimmy did hit 3rd in a few games I went to.

Charlie apparently agrees

Jimmy Rollins will hit third in the Phillies batting order to start the season.

Shane Victorino will likely hit leadoff, following by Placido Polando, as the Phils are having to shuffle things around with both Chase Utley and Ryan Howard on the shelf. Rollins should garner a few more RBI opportunities.

Charlie apparently agrees

Jimmy Rollins will hit third in the Phillies batting order to start the season.

Shane Victorino will likely hit leadoff, following by Placido Polando, as the Phils are having to shuffle things around with both Chase Utley and Ryan Howard on the shelf. Rollins should garner a few more RBI opportunities.

yeah baby *mike myers voice*. the key is he remains up there when people return. CraPolanco does not belong in the #2 hole. but this no doubt helps his overall production imo.

cyberer, i say this out of respect. i hate Shane in real life as a Giant fan. But he is undoubtedly one of the most underrated real life baseball players out there. Dude had a 6 WAR last year despite missing a month. He would fit perfectly in our CF next year.

Any theory as to why Vic's career lead-off numbers aren't so hot? He's been noticeably better as a #2 or #5 hitter. I still love owning this guy -- always provides great relative value when he's healthy. He's a stud in my league (K/BB ratio matters)

the philies have too many injuries to count on any of them to do what they did before. if your in a keeper get rid of halladay and lee while they still have stud value for another stud. halladay is 35. 200 K and low era and whip wont be for too much longer.

the philies have too many injuries to count on any of them to do what they did before. if your in a keeper get rid of halladay and lee while they still have stud value for another stud. halladay is 35. 200 K and low era and whip wont be for too much longer.

People were saying that 5 years ago...

1 person likes this

Back to discussion on Victorino please? This is music to my ears:

Manager Charlie Manuel said he wants to see Victorino run more this season, the Wilmington News Journal reports.

Recommendation: Victorino, who swiped 19 bags last season, was in agreement. "Twenty-two attempts is the part I'm looking at more than anything," Victorino said. "Attempting 22 times in a full season, that was the part that I look back on and there's no way I should only be attempting 22 times a year. That's a part I need to work on and stay focused on and take advantage when it presents itself. I didn't take advantage sometimes." If Victorino can stay healthy, he has the potential to steal more than 30 bases this season.

Any theory as to why Vic's career lead-off numbers aren't so hot? He's been noticeably better as a #2 or #5 hitter. I still love owning this guy -- always provides great relative value when he's healthy. He's a stud in my league (K/BB ratio matters)

so much good news in a 4 day span, it's getting hard not to show my excitement. leadoff? run more? i need baggier pants.

here is my eye based opinion on your question above. When Shane is leadoff, he takes this role that he must see pitches. But I then see the SP just pump over a first pitch strike right down broadway knowing that SV won't swing. if I see this the first couple of weeks, I might body slam someone. take a hack at one of those BP fastballs and then SPs will start throwing rollover curves in the dirt on the first pitch. i just think Shane's struggles at leadoff start with him getting behind in the count based on what the role asks him to do. play whack-a-mole on a few first pitch meatballs.

Back to discussion on Victorino please? This is music to my ears:

Manager Charlie Manuel said he wants to see Victorino run more this season, the Wilmington News Journal reports.

Recommendation: Victorino, who swiped 19 bags last season, was in agreement. "Twenty-two attempts is the part I'm looking at more than anything," Victorino said. "Attempting 22 times in a full season, that was the part that I look back on and there's no way I should only be attempting 22 times a year. That's a part I need to work on and stay focused on and take advantage when it presents itself. I didn't take advantage sometimes." If Victorino can stay healthy, he has the potential to steal more than 30 bases this season.

This is one of the oldest chestnuts in the "spring training news handbook." Right behind (i) so-and-so has put on x pounds of muscle; (ii) so-and-so has dropped y pounds of fat; and (iii) so-and-so has been working on a new pitch in the offseason.

But in all seriousness, I think he's right that he should be running more and it's the biggest upside to him leading off (and his health issues likely had a hand in his dropoff there last season). More Flyin' from the Flyin' Hawaiian this season.

To be fair, the first time I heard "Shane Victorino will run more" in the off-season, he went on to swipe 37 bags. I'll put my trust in those numbers, especially for the price tag he's got right now.

Parroting what is already being said in this thread. I see Victorino (and also Pence) stepping up big time to fill in the gaps left by the injury, not to mention his looming free agent status. If you look back to the last couple of years anytime Howard/Rollins/Utley were hurt Victorino stepped it up big time, which is something players tend to do for Manuel.

Would love to see him hit with a little more power but who knows on that. One of my all time favorite baseball moments is when he hit a grand slam off C.C. Sabathia in the 2008 NLDS.

Shane gets my early vote as player of the day. He has beat the crud out of lefties recently and a declining Bedard is a nice below average opening day starter to pick on.

This is one of the oldest chestnuts in the "spring training news handbook." Right behind (i) so-and-so has put on x pounds of muscle; (ii) so-and-so has dropped y pounds of fat; and (iii) so-and-so has been working on a new pitch in the offseason.

But in all seriousness, I think he's right that he should be running more and it's the biggest upside to him leading off (and his health issues likely had a hand in his dropoff there last season). More Flyin' from the Flyin' Hawaiian this season.

Didn't take long for 1..bring on the rest!

Didn't take long for 1..bring on the rest!

against a lefty even. he's such gold in my league with Ks and OBP.

I love the Flying Hawaiian, dude is soo under appreciated. There are not many players like him in the MLB. Above average walk rate, well above average contact rate, above average power, well above average speed. I usually wait on OF and take him as my #1 in most leagues this season.

has hit leadoff, 2nd and 5th so far lol. ol charlie at it again. anyways, the phillies O looks so bad after losing howard,utley, ibanez and werth from it. almost as pathetic as my giants lineup. and despite reports, im not even sure when big ryan and chase will be back and up to their old tricks. just saying howard/chase will be back on so and so doesnt mean theyll be all star productive right from the get go.

phillies announcers talking now about charlie moving rollins back to leadoff. what about shane as the #3 hitter haha? this musical chairs looks like fun. lets see if we can move around below avg hitters (polanco, rollins, pierre. etc) and make them good?

I just hope they realize Shane's value and stick him at leadoff or 2nd for the majority of the season. He gets on base at an excellent clip, has elite speed/steals ability, and can even give a little pop. That's exactly what you want out of someone hitting 1st or 2nd. I have no doubt that batting in one of those spots he'd put up at least 90 runs, 15+ homers, and 30+ steals.

so much good news in a 4 day span, it's getting hard not to show my excitement. leadoff? run more? i need baggier pants.

here is my eye based opinion on your question above. When Shane is leadoff, he takes this role that he must see pitches. But I then see the SP just pump over a first pitch strike right down broadway knowing that SV won't swing. if I see this the first couple of weeks, I might body slam someone. take a hack at one of those BP fastballs and then SPs will start throwing rollover curves in the dirt on the first pitch. i just think Shane's struggles at leadoff start with him getting behind in the count based on what the role asks him to do. play whack-a-mole on a few first pitch meatballs.

that leadoff stuff lasted one day lol, but 2 more swipes today. hawaiian is flyin'

Have I ever mentioned how much I love 9th inning hits where the other team isn't concerned with holding on runners? That's SB #6 for Sugar Shane, it looks like he will return to his 30+ SB ways.

How does 100 20 70 35 .300 upside sound? Assuming he can avoid those pesky muscle strains he seems prone too.

Have I ever mentioned how much I love 9th inning hits where the other team isn't concerned with holding on runners? That's SB #6 for Sugar Shane, it looks like he will return to his 30+ SB ways.

How does 100 20 70 35 .300 upside sound? Assuming he can avoid those pesky muscle strains he seems prone too.

It sounds unrealistic in that lineup. He won't approach 100 runs without Utley and Howard. The SBs will be nice this year, though. And considering he's never hit 20 HRs before, I don't see it happening at 31. He also hit .269 the last two seasons if you combine them, so .300 is out of the question.

I'm thinking we're looking at a line of .280/15/60/85/30

And that's just about his ceiling. Not quite, but almost.

I did specify barring no injuries which if he didn't have the past two season he would have hit 20 HR and approached 100 runs. He has never had a xBA lower than .277 over the past 5 seasons, so assuming normal BABIP luck for a player with his speed/power/batted ball splits and his elite contact rates I don't think .300 is out of the question, I'll settle for .290 though.

You'll settle for .290 from a career .279 hitter.

Be realistic, sir. Your projections would have looked good 2 or 3 years ago.