Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Timmah!

DeSean Jackson 2012 Outlook

97 posts in this topic

So you won't draft him? If he falls late into the draft, you would pass on him....come on, be real. I get the guy is a diva and doesn't seem like a real good human being.....but many guys in the nfl aren't the best people. Djax has the ability to be a top 10 WR.....he has been before when he had a contract. I have no idea if he will return to form but the potential is there for him to significantly outperform his draft position....if he falls in draft. And in the end, since none of these clowns are buddies of mine or people I have any relationship with...if he can help me win my fantasy league, I will certainly roll the dice on him if he slips in any draft I am part of.

The last sentence of my post: "Based on what it would take to get him, someone else can take that gamble."

It's not a matter of him falling, it's that I am realistic enough to know that he will not fall far enough for me to be interested.

I wouldn't want to be in a position to count on him as my #1 or #2 WR and he won't be there for me when I am looking to draft my third WR.

Does he have upside? Sure.

Someone else can cash in.

OK, you did qualify your "will not draft him" comments with where you would have to draft him. But I think all the hating on him has went overboard and I think because of it, he will fall much farther in some drafts then people think. I absolutely agree, I would not want him as my #1 WR. BUT Seriously, you wouldn't want him as your #2 either??? If passing on WR early to get a stud RB or QB and knowing I could get him a round or two later then his production would suggest.....I would gladly take him as my #2 WR. The guy is a total headache, I have hated him for a long time as a person...and as a fantasy player on many weeks too....But its hard to get WRs who truly are capable of putting up WR 1 type numbers....and because of his skills and the offense he is in....He is capable of it. I don't expect it, but I can live with #2 type production and hope for more.

Never drafted Desean because of his inconsistency, but he has major talent enough to have Britt/Harvin Like Games. I have him on my radar as my top choice for WR3 if he falls that low due to his waffling last year. He has his money now so he WILL perform.

2 people like this

He was playing for a contract last year and sandbagged. The years previous, he had a contract and had big years so not sure you can draw any conclusions on history. I can't stand the guy but I think he will be back in the discussion as a top 10 TYPE fantasy WR. His talent is obviously off the charts so its just a matter of motivation. He isn't a big guy and with his concussion history, I am sure he was playing not to get hurt until he got paid. Not saying its right, but now that he has some financial security, I could see him returning to his old form. He is still only 25 years old, many big years ahead if he stays healthy.

The year's previous(2010) he was playing on his rookie contract, not a big contract. His motivation early in his career was obviously get paid(like all players). But then in his contract year he quits. The guy seems like a total dbag and I would never take him in the top 15 WRs but if you feel like the upside is worth it more power to you. I think there's plenty of upside in the top 15 without the headaches he brings.

Maybe I am being picky, but I just don't think he's as good as the hype...

The occasional monster play doesn't do much for me.

For all the talk of him quitting last season, his stats were not that far off from his average years:

2011: 58-961-4 (15 games)

2010: 47-1056-7 (14 games)

2009: 62-1156-9 (16 games)

2008: 62-912-2 (16 games, rookie season)

He is what he is...

Throwing in the fact that I actually like Maclin more also feeds my limited interest.

We can go back and forth all day with most points being valid, but let's just respect that we disagree on DJax's value..

This is why you have a draft.

If we were in the same league, he would be on your team and we'd both be comfortable with that.

1 person likes this

Personally, I think we're going to see DJax have a monster (at least, career) year, so long as Vick stays healthy. I've got a good feeling about it, and that's usually what I rely on for drafting. I should probably note, I think that good feeling comes primarily from his potential upside.

he was still the 26th ranked WR this year, despite sucking

i hate the guy ... but if he drops enough, worth the risk . finished top 10 the 2 years prior [we reward kick return TDs and bonus' for long TDs .. so his value increases]

Draft Antonio Brown instead, you'll be alot happier.

DeSean Jackson - WR - Eagles

The Eagles can get out of DeSean Jackson's five-year, $47 million contract relatively pain free following the 2013 season.

Jackson's deal contains $15 million guaranteed, $14.75 million of which are paid in the first two seasons. He received a $10 million signing bonus and base salaries of $750,000 and $6.75 million in 2012 and 2013, respectively. In 2014, Jackson's base salary leaps to $10.25 million, and only $250K of that number is guaranteed for both skill and injury. So, essentially, Jackson's deal can be reduced to a two-year, $17.9 million commitment.

Source: ESPN.com

Apr 15 - 9:17 PM

I think people are glazing over his talent by putting way too much weight behind his contract stuff. Why would I want Antonio Brown if Mike Wallace is there?

I think people are glazing over his talent by putting way too much weight behind his contract stuff. Why would I want Antonio Brown if Mike Wallace is there?

Because Brown is better?

Jackson has Maclin, and yes, Brown has Wallace, whats your point ? Yes, I prefer Brown, yeah, I said it.

Is Brown better than Jackson, in my opinion, yes, he is. Is Brown better than Wallace, not yet, but he is

getting there. The Steelers won't lose any sleep if Wallace holds out. In fact, I think they would take a

1st rounder if someone wants to sign him.

I think Wallace has a very good connection with Big Ben, and that's why I'd be comfortable taking him around the same time I'd take DJax. I'm not saying Brown isn't good, I'm just saying I'd rather have the #1 WR on a team than the #2.

I'm betting that DJax outperforms Maclin this season.

Brown will have more FF points this year than Wallace imo. Especially if you get pts for kick pt return yds. I'll never draft DJax too much knucklehead factor for me.

i'll take desean jackson in the 4-5th round , in my 14 team 3wr league, but he wont be there so i wont bother

Brown and Demaryious Thomas are at the top of my WR wish lists ... i plan on waiting on WR unless megatron falls into my lap

Turns out DJax is using some of that new money to enjoy himself a bit this offseason. He's actually started his own record/production label (music):

http://fauxjohnmadden.lockerdome.com/media/98735036

I think the important quote to take away from this is,

"I mean, people can say they hate the music, people can say oh he's terrible, whatever it is, but at the end of the day I'm doing what I want to do, and I'm doing what I love to do. So uh, people can say whatever they want, I'm gonna still get it out and let it be heard."

I think we're now starting to see a guy that is less concerned off the field about the limits of his finances, and I think that's going to translate into a more balanced person overall, on the field and off the field.

Off the field, if there were things during previous seasons he'd want to be doing in his downtime (as a superstar), there will be less frustration because (like this music thing) he now has plenty of money to go out and do them.

I think a lot of his dispute with the Eagles honestly is now water under the bridge. He's gotten paid, now I think he's ready to enjoy his life and simply go out and put on a big show during gamedays. I don't think his "flashy" side is going to be any real detriment to his playing ability - I'd say that emotion that he lets loose on the field is what makes him the player he is.

Maclin > Jackson

and easier to root for

And Maclin isn't on my all time Do Not Draft List.

whoop whoop i got dat $$$ now i'ma just ball out and be a mo' complete playa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60w_ut-Zol4

nevermind

The only thing I've learned from plays like this is that if you're the commentator and this happens just don't say anything because you are more than likely going to sound stupid.

It's effin' football, sh*t happens. I doubt he's going to be crying about that hit in three more years, millions and millions of dollars later.

What, is he going to wear a super high tech HUD screen on his helmet's visor that replays that scene every time he steps out on the field?

Doubt it.

It's effin' football, sh*t happens. I doubt he's going to be crying about that hit in three more years, millions and millions of dollars later.

What, is he going to wear a super high tech HUD screen on his helmet's visor that replays that scene every time he steps out on the field?

Doubt it.

Consciously crying about it and unconsciously hearing footsteps are two different things. He's not exactly what anyone would consider mentally tough either.

Everytime Vick scrambles around there's potential for a long bomb with D-JAX behind the secondary. Vick stays healthy, I can see 5-8 of those plays this year as a floor. You'd assume each one of those plays are a 40+ yard touchdown. If that happens, D-JAX going to have weeks he wins us fantasy games. Especially if we get lucky for a punt return or two.

Although, one concern is that D-JAX tears up the cowboys twice a year... and now they have claiborne to stay on him or carr. That could stop about 250-300 yards and 2 td's a year if they can actually shut him down. But I think regardless of the corner... vick scrambling will get him open deep.

1 person likes this

I know, I don't like Desean Jackson either. He's a punk, and he left a bad tast in all of our mouths last year. But the fact of the matter is he's still a number one WR and he is going ridiculously low in drafts this year...like as in you could be getting this guy as your WR3 or even on your bench!

Even going this low, I still have my doubts, but with Desean being so cheap is he worth taking a chance on?

Taking DJax off punt returns hurts his potential high fantasy ceiling, imo.

I think I will try to take him as my third WR, as he's been falling that far in mocks considering I should have two WR's drafted after round 4. He'd be a good flex play as someone who still has potential to go off and win you a week with his big plays.