Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ajthurb23

Does the NBA play too many games?

With all the injuries this season I think this can be proof that the NBA plays too many games. I have felt this way for a while that they should cut it down to 65 and give the players more time to rest. I think that it would cut down on alot of the small nagging injuries and help the older players recover and not miss games. Keep the season length the same just spread out the games so TV can still get there money. What do you guys think?

Nice question, but I want to expand outside the realm of the regular season.

When the "best" players of the NBA are selected and agree to compete in offseason Olympic tourneys such as FIBA, the added grind can be detrimental to a players' health once the actual NBA season begins. No matter how invincibile those players look on the court, they're just as susceptible to injury as the next guy. And when you have athletes playing 20-plus games at a competitive level against quality international teams--when they should be recovering from the previous NBA season--their bodies are likely to deteriorate and break down.

Look at Pau Gasol, broken foot in the competition last summer that kept him sidelined for weeks. Or Elton Brand, another FIBA player who's obviously slowed down this season since his dominating performance in the NBA a year ago. Other players who competed this summer in FIBA and sustained major injuries in the current NBA season include Joe Johnson, LeBron James, Dwayne Wade, Chris Paul, Chris Bosh, Antawn Jamison, and Brad Miller. Even Carmelo Anthony and Kirk Hinrich have had their fair share of nagging injuries this season too.

I realize that it's important to be patriotic and somewhat nationalistic, but is it worth the long-term effects sustained by the NBA's elite players?

Nice question, but I want to expand outside the realm of the regular season.

When the "best" players of the NBA are selected and agree to compete in offseason Olympic tourneys such as FIBA, the added grind can be detrimental to a players' health once the actual NBA season begins. No matter how invincibile those players look on the court, they're just as susceptible to injury as the next guy. And when you have athletes playing 20-plus games at a competitive level against quality international teams--when they should be recovering from the previous NBA season--their bodies are likely to deteriorate and break down.

Look at Pau Gasol, broken foot in the competition last summer that kept him sidelined for weeks. Or Elton Brand, another FIBA player who's obviously slowed down this season since his dominating performance in the NBA a year ago. Other players who competed this summer in FIBA and sustained major injuries in the current NBA season include Joe Johnson, LeBron James, Dwayne Wade, Chris Paul, Chris Bosh, Antawn Jamison, and Brad Miller. Even Carmelo Anthony and Kirk Hinrich have had their fair share of nagging injuries this season too.

I realize that it's important to be patriotic and somewhat nationalistic, but is it worth the long-term effects sustained by the NBA's elite players?

So what do you do for International play?? Take a bunch of college guys and D-league players to get run? We would get killed by the International pros.

I would send the worst NBA team (Grizzlies) to play in international tournaments.

the 82 games are fine. hockey players have the same amount of games in a much much more physical game.

You have to give something to get something. Look at this way. If you look at all the international rosters, there are probably less than 5 players per team that are NBA super stars, maybe even less then 1. You look at the USA team, their roster can be made up of all stars. If you do that, you will run the risk of wearing down all the super stars and if they sustain an injury in international play, they dont have enough time to heal before the season starts. You want LESS injuries in the NBA, well play LESS games elsewhere. This is probably the ONLY sport where players can play basketball all year round. Look at hockey, there are no summer leagues, they are officially done at the end of the championship rounds and that is why there is so much conterversy in using NHL players for the olympics, teams do not want their plays worn out before the second half of the season begins. Look at the NFL, there is a break after the Super Bowl, baseball is done in October. NBA is the ONLY major sport out there where players can still play into the summer months. Even if you shorten the season, there is no gurantee a player will not jump into international play, sustain an injury and have to be out pass the NBA opening day. Shortening the season seems the perfect idea but it isn't. It means lost revenue for teams, it is by no means a STOP method for people to participate in international play. If you want to limit injuries, stop creating a team full of Super Stars for Team USA. Use lesser talent, HELP them develop their game thus helping a team if the succumb to injury, having a deeper bench. It doesn't help anyone if Team USA contains Wade, Byrant, James, KG and who ever you can think of, they do not need more help in their game and if they get injuried that means the respective NBA team gets destroyed. Sure you want to win at an international level but you can't have your cake and eat it too. Thats my two cents. I could care less if you win at the international level, there is no extra glory, no big payoff, just bragging rights. Team USA hasn't won in international plays in a while and its time to use less super stars and help build the lesser talent. It would be better overall for the NBA and the teams.

The novelty of having pros in the olympics and world champs has completely and totally worn off (remember when we considered them "Dream Teams"?).

I say go back to the college players. We will get to see them play against stiff competition; for example, I would love to see Durant & Oden play against other national teams, for example.

We won't win, you say? So what? We aren't winning now with pros, so we're not sacrificing anything.

You have to give something to get something. Look at this way. If you look at all the international rosters, there are probably less than 5 players per team that are NBA super stars, maybe even less then 1. You look at the USA team, their roster can be made up of all stars. If you do that, you will run the risk of wearing down all the super stars and if they sustain an injury in international play, they dont have enough time to heal before the season starts. You want LESS injuries in the NBA, well play LESS games elsewhere. This is probably the ONLY sport where players can play basketball all year round. Look at hockey, there are no summer leagues, they are officially done at the end of the championship rounds and that is why there is so much conterversy in using NHL players for the olympics, teams do not want their plays worn out before the second half of the season begins. Look at the NFL, there is a break after the Super Bowl, baseball is done in October. NBA is the ONLY major sport out there where players can still play into the summer months. Even if you shorten the season, there is no gurantee a player will not jump into international play, sustain an injury and have to be out pass the NBA opening day. Shortening the season seems the perfect idea but it isn't. It means lost revenue for teams, it is by no means a STOP method for people to participate in international play. If you want to limit injuries, stop creating a team full of Super Stars for Team USA. Use lesser talent, HELP them develop their game thus helping a team if the succumb to injury, having a deeper bench. It doesn't help anyone if Team USA contains Wade, Byrant, James, KG and who ever you can think of, they do not need more help in their game and if they get injuried that means the respective NBA team gets destroyed. Sure you want to win at an international level but you can't have your cake and eat it too. Thats my two cents. I could care less if you win at the international level, there is no extra glory, no big payoff, just bragging rights. Team USA hasn't won in international plays in a while and its time to use less super stars and help build the lesser talent. It would be better overall for the NBA and the teams.

i disagree with your opinion about basketball being the only sport where the players can play all yr round. Quite a few MLB players play in the winter leagues. Mostly position players tho.

Not buying this.... NBA players have played internationally for how many years now ? More than a decade, and there was never such an injury problem before. Check out the other thread (Catastrophic injuries...) for some other speculations. As for playing NCAA players, Spain or Greece would run them by forty points, and nobody but the Spaniards and the Greeks wants to see that. B)

i disagree with your opinion about basketball being the only sport where the players can play all yr round. Quite a few MLB players play in the winter leagues. Mostly position players tho.

Well, look at baseball's roster. Loosing ONE star player doesn't effect you too much unless its a pitcher. Usually there are enough people in the farm and on the team to fill in the void. If you look at basketball's rosters, if you loose your star player, who do you turn to, to fill in the needed stats? Basketball is the only sport where players play year round because they are called upon to carry a team in the NBA and international play. In baseball, you are not called upon to do anything. You can show up and stink and they will not do anything with you seeing as there are about 3-4 guys who can replace you. Much harder to do in basketball.