Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

abrunn11

Nick Markakis 2012 Season Outlook

100 posts in this topic

I believe Markakis (ADP 133 overall, 33 OF) can have a great return on investment this year, especially in roto formats.

Markakis is not going to wow you in any one category, but he can provide helpful numbers in every category. I am projecting; .289/15/78/80/9 SB, which will not hurt you in any category.

Another way that Markakis contributes, especially in deeper leagues, is the fact that he plays nearly every day. He has played in at least 157 games the past 5 seasons.

Now that most of the luster is gone from his ’08 season where he put up .306/20/87/106, his price tag has dramatically reduced. I think he's being forgotten about by a lot of people, even though he is only 29 years old.

i've already lost my league by opening this thread

So much negativity... If Markakis puts up his career averages he at least produces his draft value. How can you not like that?...

I think a lot of the disdain for him stems from people over-valuing him in years past. He always seamed to have been on the cusp elite OF1, but has never reached that status. All I am saying is that he is great "glue" guy that will help your team, his price is at an all time low and he will not hurt you in any category.

Per Rotoworld.....

"Markakis had been 2-for-11 since returning to the lineup after abdominal surgery. Still the Orioles' No. 3 hitter despite his struggles the last couple of years, he has plenty of fantasy upside and is being undervalued in mixed leagues"

Huh?? What am I missing here? Dude's stats have been on a HEAVY decline almost every year now. Does rotoworld think he is slipping through the later rounds and might have more value than where he is being drafted or what? No way this guy wakes up and smacks 20 HR with anywhere close to 100 RBI. People still love this guy, and unless I get him for $8-10 in my 12 AL league, will not be touching him.

Per Rotoworld.....

"Markakis had been 2-for-11 since returning to the lineup after abdominal surgery. Still the Orioles' No. 3 hitter despite his struggles the last couple of years, he has plenty of fantasy upside and is being undervalued in mixed leagues"

Huh?? What am I missing here? Dude's stats have been on a HEAVY decline almost every year now. Does rotoworld think he is slipping through the later rounds and might have more value than where he is being drafted or what? No way this guy wakes up and smacks 20 HR with anywhere close to 100 RBI. People still love this guy, and unless I get him for $8-10 in my 12 AL league, will not be touching him.

he was a high end prospect and has an excellent hit tool. i don't think that he's a bad player to grab if you can get him in round 12 or so. his floor is pretty high and he should easily out-produce his adp. if he starts to show some pop again then he can easily produce 6th round value. he should be coming into him "power prime" and the lineup is improving. he produced 6th round value in 2009, 4th round value in 2008 and 3rd round value in 2006. that's pretty good upside for a 12th+ rounder...

Markakis is in his prime years (he's 28) where players tend to have career years and breakout years.

Markakis' early breakout, had a lot to do with a healthy brian roberts and a strong lineup. the past 2 years, the orioles have been pretty terrible and have dealt with injuries.

however, this year, i think the orioles offense improves. adam jones will have a career year, which will benefit everyone. wieters hits 25-30HR's. chris davis finally breaks out and stays in the majors. and if brian roberts returns sometime this year, that'll only be another positive.

i think markakis will hit 20HR's and his counting stats will improve. .300/20HR/90RBI/85R/12SB with tons of hits (around 190). he is a very underrated positive batting average contributor. he could easily be a 200 hits guy if his average creeps over .300

and you know he'll rarely ever miss a game. as durable as they come. besides last year and his rookie season, his OPS has been above .800 every year.

markakis is ridiculously underrated. we've seen what he can do before (2007: .300/23HR/112RBI/97R/18SB) and that was when he was 23.

as ive said with andre ethier in another post.....players should not decline in their prime years. Markakis has not lived up to the hype and i cant see a breakout coming.

i could be totally wrong but i would expect that he will see a slight bump from last year but nothing major..im saying .290/17hrs/80/80/13sb.

still a quality OF to have at his current price tag.

he's off to a good start as he hit a 2-run shot in his first ab. gotta love bounce back guys like dunn and markakis playing well on opening day!

markakis with a triple. he's now got the following line- 2/2, 1 hr, 1 3b, 2 r's, 3 rbi's

markakis with a triple. he's now got the following line- 2/2, 1 hr, 1 3b, 2 r's, 3 rbi's

may be some home cooking scoring involved in that 2nd hit. watching the game, could've been scored an E9, too.

he was good for a few years. then the last few he really didnt do nothing but give you average. I was done with him. refused to draft him. now I am thinking the last week that he could have his best season.

may be some home cooking scoring involved in that 2nd hit. watching the game, could've been scored an E9, too.

Yea Doumit was running circles in RF and couldn't figure out how to block the sun and crashed against the wall. Legit distance and power to make him run to the wall but any average RF makes that play. Doumit and Willingham in LF and RF? Gonna be a long year for Twins SP's....

Woot, 2 HRs in 2 days!

One the First things Duquette said when he got to the Orioles was commenting on how he needed to hit more HRs.

By golly it looks like hes actually trying too...

I traded him in a dynasty but he's probably my favorite Oriole right now. Hope he stays healthy and wins a gold glove and a sliver slugger this year.

Couple of Notes

• Markakis Hasn't hit more than 2 HRs in the Entire Month of April since 2008 (5).
  • He had a grad total of 4 Extra base Hits all April in 2011. (Has 3 already)
  • First Opposite HR Since 2008.
  • 2008, and 2007 Are Only times he hit more than 2 HRs in the First Month
  • They Lowered the Right Field Fence (Where Nick Pulls the Ball, Signifcance is TBD)
  • He Did his Normal Weightlifting in Febuary insted of December(had to do with his Injury in the Offseason)
  • He says said he will Stick with One Batting stance and Grow on It, Insted of changing it a bunch of times like has said he did in the past

1 person likes this

Nick "I'd rather watch paint dry" Markakis. Guy is soooooo boring. But pretty solid. Won't hurt you anywhere. Just no real upside. Legit 3-4 OF. Just been down this road so many times I'm taking 2012 off.