Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big Tuna

Max Scherzer 2012 Season Outlook

512 posts in this topic

Didnt see a thread on Mad Max....is this the year he finally puts it together? Ks are there but what about the rest? Looked good in ST so far,,,,any thoughts and predictions?

Didnt see a thread on Mad Max....is this the year he finally puts it together? Ks are there but what about the rest? Looked good in ST so far,,,,any thoughts and predictions?

I have ended up with this guy in just about every draft so far this year.

He had a pretty mediocre first half but a much better second half in 2011. With the Tigers offense behind him I think he'll win 15+ games again this year and he is a good bet to finish with a 3.70ish ERA, a 1.30 WHIP and 180+ Ks. I could see him puttting it all together and surpassing all of those numbers pretty easily too. He has great stuff and is entering his prime.

Even though his K's were down his 2011 was not nearly as bad as it seems, I think, if you simply look at his xFIP and see it's almost identical to his 2010. I think most singificantly he cut his BB% way down from the year before. He has a great arsenal. I would totaly give him a shot this year as a 3rd or 4th pitcher.

CNNSI is predicting a breakout season of CY Young calibre. Grab him if you can. He seems to be going about the 13-17th round.

good stuff...went for $12 in my $260 draft after being $20 last year so thought it was good value.....keep thinking he'll put it together one of these years and be a top 20 SP.

CNNSI is predicting a breakout season of CY Young calibre. Grab him if you can. He seems to be going about the 13-17th round.

Wow - what are they basing that on? He is going pretty late considering the possible upside IMO

What kind of numbers do we expect this year? A good source of K's and Wins but can he get his whip & era down?

4 walks, 10 hits, 7 earned on 4 and 1/3 today ... way to instill confidence before we get rolling

Might be the first to notice that his name is spelt wrong anyways- career against Boston: 3 starts, 0-2, 9.45 ERA, 2.03 WHIP, .386. I'm leaving him on my bench tomorrow and hoping he pleasently surprises me- I suggest others consider the same.

Might be the first to notice that his name is spelt wrong anyways- career against Boston: 3 starts, 0-2, 9.45 ERA, 2.03 WHIP, .386. I'm leaving him on my bench tomorrow and hoping he pleasently surprises me- I suggest others consider the same.

Fixed it!

Man, he can be really hard to watch. 50+ pitches through 2 IP. I'll chalk this one up to early-season struggles, but he simply cannot find the plate sometimes.

Man, he can be really hard to watch. 50+ pitches through 2 IP. I'll chalk this one up to early-season struggles, but he simply cannot find the plate sometimes.

Brutal splits against BOS as well. After how beat up my pitching has gotten this first week I sat out this one. He can be a good asset, but he is inconsistent which can lead to some really frustrating viewing.

I've got him in one league and he's in there killing my team. I don't have the stats in front of my, but I remember from past years that these tend not to be isolated blowups. When he's off, he's really off for awhile. Maybe I'm just stuck on the time he got sent down to work on his mechanics after a horrid stretch, and then came back very strong?

I'll have to look up past trends, but right now he's one of the few pitchers I have who I'd probably bench until I can see some improvement.

I wish I read this thread before starting him today after seeing those splits vs the Sox lol. Luckly I got to trade him away just before today's game. I'm really just not that confident in him this year

I've got him in one league and he's in there killing my team. I don't have the stats in front of my, but I remember from past years that these tend not to be isolated blowups. When he's off, he's really off for awhile. Maybe I'm just stuck on the time he got sent down to work on his mechanics after a horrid stretch, and then came back very strong?

I'll have to look up past trends, but right now he's one of the few pitchers I have who I'd probably bench until I can see some improvement.

The model of inconsistency last year with his game log and his month to month splits show the same issues you just never know which guy is going to show up but more often than not its the one that pitches like this it seems. I recall last year over a stretch of about 10 games he was putting up something in the neighborhood of a 1.5 whip for one of my teams, with an ERA you would expect to go along with it. Hes always so tempting with his K potential and Win potential but its a real roller coaster.

That said his splits against Boston just screamed stay away, even with the small sample size of three starts, he was rocking a 9.45ERA and 2.03WHIP with a 5/5 K/BB rate in 13.1IP. They really have his number and its essentially the same team thats gotten to him every time.

1 person likes this

What's even more telling is that the Red Sox had their "JV" lineup in today and he still got shelled. If he can't succeed against a lineup that contains Nick Punto, Darnell McDonald, Kelly Shoppach, Ryan Sweeney, and Mike Aviles, what is he going to do against the Yankees, Rays, and Angels?

Starts like this make me wish I would have passed on him. I have a bit of drafters remorse.

he's been my phantosy kryptonite for too long ... enough ... just can't deal with him going stretches where he's out of wack and not getting on top of the ball ... i think the deal is his mechanics are just too erratic to find consistency ... this is just the ongoing story of his career and there's no end in site

his mechanics are just too erratic to find consistency

Bingo. In 2010 and 2011 there were issues with his mechanics, and he was horrible. After he came back up to Detroit in 2010, we all saw what he can do with consistent mechanics. Last year, he didn't quite put everything together. He could be a really good #2, but his inconsistency really hinders his ability to fully realize his potential.

Bingo. In 2010 and 2011 there were issues with his mechanics, and he was horrible. After he came back up to Detroit in 2010, we all saw what he can do with consistent mechanics. Last year, he didn't quite put everything together. He could be a really good #2, but his inconsistency really hinders his ability to fully realize his potential.

Seems like a guy to me that shares a lot of parallels with Jonathan Sanchez, both have great stuff and can be dominant at times but struggle with consistency as a result of poor mechanics. I hate to say it as a Tigers fan, but at this point I think Scherzer might just be what he is, much like Sanchez. If the mechanical issues haven't been refined yet at this point in his career I just dont know if the propsects are good that they will ever fix them.

Anyone throwing him out there today? His splits vs CHW are probably the best you will get out of him. Last outing doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence though.

Anyone throwing him out there today? His splits vs CHW are probably the best you will get out of him. Last outing doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence though.

I really don't have a choice. I have to sink or swim with him almost every start.

A fastball pitcher against a fastball-hitting team playing in a bandbox stadium with wind speeds ranging from 13-25mph? Firmly on my bench.

Now watch him throw a 2-hitter.

1 person likes this

I went to panic start him only to have my lineup locked so I'm thinking that the baseball gods were looking out for me. That being said, I hope he has a good start so I can have confidence to put him in my lineup for him to get shelled next start (can you tell how much I love owning him)