Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mevins31

Cam Newton 2012 Season Outlook

651 posts in this topic

I started 2011's thread and to keep the MOJO going, I gotta start this one. This is my guy, he's going to be the #1 overall player barring injury this year. Ya digg

1 person likes this

after foster, mccoy, rice, mjd, tron ... insert cam.

i try to wait as long as possible on QB, but between the rushing stats + bad defense that'll force him to keep throwing ... love Cam this year

top fantasy QB 2012

I don't doubt that Cam Newton should be a solid player this year.

I don't think he's guaranteed Elite status yet, however. I think there's about a 50% chance that he regresses, instead of ending up in the Top 5, ends up *just* inside the top 10 (9, or 10th QB overall when the season is over).

Besides Steve Smith (CAR), who does he really have to throw the ball to? I realize he runs some, like Vick, but if they turn up the heat with their ground game (DWill, JStew[if not traded], and now Tolbert), I have a feeling that his TDs (at least rushing, but likely passing too) will decline.

I'd probably rather gamble with Stafford over Newton, unless I could get Newton a round or two later.

I mean, I wouldn't be worried about ending up with Newton, not by any means (though I'd make sure to draft a backup QB that has potential upside as well). But I don't think I would spend a high draft pick (first 2 rounds?) on him.

Cam Newton is worth the pick in the 3rd round. Before is paying too much and after is a steal

This guy is a once every generation type player. His rushing tds will do nothing but go up. Everyone forgets he lead the SEC in rushing. Barring injury he will be the consensus number 1 overall pick in 2013. As far as I'm concerned he's a steal in round 2.

This guy is a once every generation type player. His rushing tds will do nothing but go up. Everyone forgets he lead the SEC in rushing. Barring injury he will be the consensus number 1 overall pick in 2013. As far as I'm concerned he's a steal in round 2.

I am a huge fan of Newton, but it will be very difficult to improve on 14 rushing touchdowns...I'd be happy with around 10...

You realize he set an nfl record for single season rushing tds for a qb last season....

You realize he set an nfl record for single season rushing tds for a qb last season....

I do realize that. He's gonna break it again this year. He'll get 90% of goal line carries. He has won every single place he's been including at Auburn where there couldn't possibly have been more distractions. He's what everyone wants to think Tebow is.

I don't see how he could possibly duplicate last year's rushing TD's, and that was a lot of his value.

I play in a league where all QB TD's are equal and I have him rated high regardless, but I could easily see his passing numbers improving and rushing numbers declining. I don't care that he was a rookie last year, their coach should realize that it makes more sense to use their backs more at the goal line to preserve Newton's season and career.

I would probably take Stafford over Newton but would be looking at each of these guys in the second and third rounds, and would take either depending on the flow of the draft.

He's the only player I've ever seen where people use the argument "he did so well his rookie season, he can't possibly do better next year". I just disagree. Granted, no qb in NFL history has ever had that great of a rookie season. Also keep in mind he had no training camp. I believe he's just scratched the surface of his potential. His senior year at Auburn, he rushed for 1450 yards and 20 tds. This year Richardson went for 1680 and 21. I understand it's a totally different offense but I think he actually has room for improvement both running and throwing.

I just don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for his yardage average to be 250 yds passing and 60 yds rushing per game. That's a guy who would get you 16 points a game BEFORE touchdowns. He had 35 last year. That's aprroximately 2.5 a game which would be an AVERAGE of 30 fantasy points a game. And I can get him in the 2nd round, after I've gotten a stud rb?

I also expect, especially with the addition of Tolbert, for them to use their RB's more near the goal line, which will cause his rushing TDs to slip some. An NFL team will not want to risk their franchise (player) by having him constantly diving into the pile. He'll still get rushing TDs, just not as many. My opinion.

They still have question marks in their passing attack for receivers. Steve Smith is only one man, and Tolbert only helps in the very short area. If they'd upgraded at WR some, I could see a logical reason for assuming his passing stats would increase. But they haven't.

If they keep DeAngelo Williams, Jonathan Stewart, and Mike Tolbert on the roster, why would they consistently use their QB at the goal line to punch it in? That's more of my point.

I like his upside, I just don't want to go overboard.

In 2010 Mike Vick averaged 251 yds passing, 56 yds rushing and 2.6 tds per game. Prominent experts were saying things like "barring injury, if Vick is on your team, you win your league. Simple as that". Last year Newton averaged 253 yds passing, 45 yds rushing and 2.2 tds as a rookie and people are saying let's not go overboard and pick him in the 2nd round? I don't get it...

... this guy was made for fantasy football. I didnt think hed completely dominate the way he did, but i knew his rush yards/TDs and garbage time stats would lead to solid fantasy production (understatement of the year).

he's "risky" tho, make sure you take a "safe" first rounder ... i love when people in my leagues play it safe. it pushes down a lot of talent ...

his talent is off the charts. hes got 1 of the best receivers in football, 2 good backs, a solid receiving TE, and a defense that sucks enough to keep him throwing all game ... but he might get hurt or something

It will take defenses a bit of time to figure him out. He could easily have another huge year. He is so effective at the goal line that it's impossible to imagine a sane coaching staff not using him there. Points wise, he can do what Rodgers can.

DeAngelo and Jonathan Stewart averaged well over 5 yards per carry, so their effectiveness isn't worth questioning either, even though that was never entirely apparent in fantasy football. It's a terrific running game, probably the best in the NFL. Teams won't know what they are in for. Three, possibly four running backs that could absolutely smash you in the end zone.

Not the best scenario from a fantasy point of view, but it still makes sense to own Newton. Their O line is the best it has been in a long time, and Tolbert is a perfect addition, IMO. If Carolina make some upgrades to that OL during off-season, look out. I will let everybody splash the cash on Rodgers, Brees, Brady, etc. and take this guy.

Still no talk from the supporters about his WR cast, which is a bit strange considering he's a QB.

He did fairly well with the wrs he had last year. Now they can actually practice with him this off-season. Yeah maybe Steve Smith is a year older. My point is if the only two arguments you can have against a qb are his wrs are lackluster (even though he destroyed rookie records with them last year) and he'll probably have a sophomore slump then he is as close to a sure thing as you are likely to find in ff. Is it possibly he regresses? Sure it is, but nothing in his past indicates that he will do anything except get better. If his wrs scare you, I'll be ecstatic to get him in the second round.

I honestly think that the reason people are still doubting him is because if you didn't buy Sunday Ticket you probably didn't see him play much last year. I've watched essentially every snap he's played the last 2 years and in every single game I have thought to myself "I've never seen anything like this. Ever.".

1 person likes this

I'm more worried about teams rolling a little extra coverage Steve Smith's way, and his other WR's not having the talent to get open when that happens. Not so much about Newton's skillset, but the fact that his supporting cast failing at their job can have an adverse affect on him for fantasy purposes.

he threw for 4000 and scored 30+ TDs with this supporting cast

gotta assume they add a weapon or 2 in the draft ... but olsen/smith are a nice pair to start with

queue "defenses are gonna watch film. they know who he is now" i love that argument

you can't just "gameplan" for this

I watch almost every single Panthers game last year. Cam Newton far surpassed my expectations. He was a better passer than initially believed. His WRs aren't great, but it will do especially with that rushing attack. S.Smith is still there. People are forgetting about Gettis, and LaFell developed well with Newton there. And let's not forget the TEs. Newton has good enough weapons on the offensive end.

Having a weaker group of receivers makes him even more attractive from a fantasy point of view. He will be forced to throw more often and gain more rushing yards.

I don't really see how having a weak group of WR's makes him a better fantasy QB. Just like every other team, he still only gets 4 downs (3, usually) to move the chains. Having a weak group of WR's can hurt drives, even if his legs are more useful than other QB's.

Not saying it spells doomsday for him, but I certainly don't think that it HELPS his value.

you could do a lot worse than smith/lafell/gettis/olsen/stewart/williams

and this draft is loaded with WR talent

and he's already proven his stud potential with his "weak WRs"