Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RotoRaysfan

Week 1-2 WW Touts (April 4-15)

75 posts in this topic

A reminder for all on how it works - a weekly thread will be posted and pinned, for all of you who need to *already* find replacements (DOH). Each week, the old thread will be de-pinned, and a new thread (Week 2, Week 3, etc.) to keep the touts current, given how the guys that are likely to be found on the WW changes from week to week and given the popularity of weekly H2H matchups.

A reminder that this is meant to tout players you may find on the WW that you feel other owners should consider - but it's not meant for Bench Coach discussion (who to drop for 'em, owner's lineup decisions, etc. - that's for the Bench Coach Forum), as per the FBB Posting Rules. So, please no BC questions - if it provides general information that all can use, it's fair game. Again, this isn't a thread to ask about players in your league - it's to tout potential WW players. If you believe a guy is worth *consideration*, post away.

As for your touts, there are no specifics - but as a guide, as we're talking the WW, feel free to look at the CBS/Yahoo/ESPN ownership rates - it will give a great idea if a guy is really a WW tout or not. As the WW varies, if you have deep league touts, feel free to post - qualifying them for deep leagues has helped in the past. Also, you can stipulate if you think it's a great 1-week play, a streamer, a great long-term play, or whatever.

With the short Week 1, we'll combine 2 weeks into 1 before moving on...

OK, it's back for 2012, so I'll start it off (assuming anyone who hasn't been living under a rock is already on top of the usual new closer suspects....):

Cody Ross, OF, BOS - with Crawford's injury, he's got full-time AB's, so it takes him from the wrong side of a platoon in RF with Crawford in LF to a spot in a still potent BOS lineup.

Kyle Seagar, SS/3B, SEA - with Mike Carp on the DL, a sneaky MI play. Not a long-term bet, but if you have MI needs, a decent short term play.

Zack Cozart, SS, CIN - in deep leagues, he's not on the WW - but anyone who plays half their games in CIN deserves a spot as a SS. Potential 20/10 ceiling, even if the .avg won't play in 2012.

As for the sleeper saves guys who aren't the obvious suspects (Aceves/Melancon, Peralta, Broxton/Holland, and the temporary WAS situation):

Glen Perkins, RP, MIN - mentioned in the Closers thread - but anyone with Matt Capps on their team has to be concerned. Perkins is a great handcuff or speculation flyer to stash.

Fernando Rodney, RP, TB - I hold my nose as I type this - but just in case Joel Peralta doesn't run with the opportunity, Rodney is the guy with "experience" - and while Joe Maddon is more wont to play matchups, well, saves are saves.

OK, that's all, great time to be touting, with regular season finally here! B)

Dayan Viciedo- The guy is a powerful hitter. I think there's a lot of potential his his bat. He's getting close to zero attention.

Chone Figgins- He is what he is, but I think the Mariners are going to score more runs this year. He's at the top of the lineup and I expect some good steals, runs and a rebound in the average department.

Jason Bourgeois- A guy to monitor. Rumors are that he could get some time at 2B. 40+ steal potential from a middle infielder could be very valuable.

Willin Rosario- Young catcher with a big bat that made the big club for Colorado. I saw him hit a BOMB the other day in spring. Lots of potential here.

Edinson Volquez- Opening Day starter for San Diego. He hasn't been healthy. In the past, he has had one of the best changeups in baseball...I'm talking Cole Hamels, Buggs Bunny, make you screw yourself into the dirt, pull the string, CHANGEUP. Playing in SD, he should be pretty good. He's had a lack of command, but I think he's only going to improve as he regains feel....post Tommy John guy.

Addison Reed- He's the best pitcher in the Chi-Sox's bullpen. It's America, Jack! That's gotta mean something. I'm a fan.

chris capuano. Owned in 1% of ESPN leagues. at San Diego.

Phil Humber- owned in .8% ESPN leagues. at Cleveland.

I like them as back end guys in h2h beyond week one.

chris capuano. Owned in 1% of ESPN leagues. at San Diego.

Phil Humber- owned in .8% ESPN leagues. at Cleveland.

I like them as back end guys in h2h beyond week one.

Billingsley and Harang are both getting SD starts, as well...though they are probably a little less likely than Capuano to be available (Bills based on name recognition and Harang based on his Petco season last year.)

Juan Pierre - Never thought he'd be anything more than a 4th or 5th outfielder in Philly, but Charlie Manuel seems to be very serious about considering him for the Phillies' lead-off hitter spot. I wouldn't be surprised if Pierre's career was revived a bit. If he has a nice day, he might targeted, so if you have a "nobody" on your roster you're planning on dropping, there might be some potential on the waiver wire in Pierre (deep leagues).

Vinnie Pestano if he is available in your league.

Vargas is looking like a decent stream option tomorrow @OAK

I've always thought about this but never put it into action. Prior to Mondays and Thursdays I'm always scouring the WW looking for good match-ups to fill in for my regulars. some of these may be too shallow but I'll kick it off:

C - Iannetta (hits LHP well and Chen is one of the worst SP going tomorrow), Doumit (Arrieta hasn't developed)

1B - Helton (didn't see much at 1B but he hits LHP reasonably well and Wandy isn't one of the better SP tomorrow)

2B - Altuve (Guthrie is mediocre and Altuve could swipe a bag)

3B - Morel (hitting second @TEX)

SS - Furcal (don't love it vs. Gallardo but SS is shallow), Scutaro

OF - Wells (hits LHP well and Chen sucks), Venable (should start, good speed)

typically there might only be one or two gems per Mon/Thurs (or any other day).

I'm not big on historical hitter vs. pitcher data but in some instances that could be helpful for finding good match-ups as well.

EDIT: Merged into WW Touts - as it's streaming touts.

Thought I had a good one for today. Ryan Hanigan hits well against lefties, at home, and during the day. Didn't work out so well.

Thought I had a good one for today. Ryan Hanigan hits well against lefties, at home, and during the day. Didn't work out so well.

rolled out Hanigan too. Eric Thames was my other (Masterson struggles vs. lefties). sounds like we're on the same page though. I hope we can keep this thread active throughout the year.

SS - Furcal (don't love it vs. Gallardo).

Well you should love it.

In 12 career ABs against Gallardo, Furcal has 5 hits including 2 homers (both solo shots) which is huge for a guy that offers little to now regular power. He's also been walked 4 times by Gallardo and has an average of .471, OBP .563, SLG .914 and OPS 1.479.

I streamed Raffy tomorrow because of his consistent numbers against YG.

Now watch him go 0-4.

Well you should love it.

In 12 career ABs against Gallardo, Furcal has 5 hits including 2 homers (both solo shots) which is huge for a guy that offers little to now regular power. He's also been walked 4 times by Gallardo and has an average of .471, OBP .563, SLG .914 and OPS 1.479.

I streamed Raffy tomorrow because of his consistent numbers against YG.

Now watch him go 0-4.

Or not.

For deep leagues, Juan Rivera. Hit 5th last night, and 4th between Kemp and Ethier tonight. If he stays healthy, it wouldn't surprise me if he duplicates/exceeds his 2009 numbers (25 HR, 90 rbi, 70 runs, .285 avg).

1 person likes this

For holds leagues, Rex Brothers. Dude was throwing some crazy heat tonight and locating really well. He's worth a watch list add in most other leagues. If Betancourt falters he'll be a must-add. The 13 K/9 in 2011 doesn't hurt, either.

1 person likes this

For holds leagues, Rex Brothers. Dude was throwing some crazy heat tonight and locating really well. He's worth a watch list add in most other leagues. If Betancourt falters he'll be a must-add. The 13 K/9 in 2011 doesn't hurt, either.

He should already be owned in a holds league. He ranks in the Top 15 setup men to start the year and will finish in the Top 10.

He should already be owned in a holds league. He ranks in the Top 15 setup men to start the year and will finish in the Top 10.

I just picked him up last night and he's only 3% owned in Yahoo (don't know how many Yahoo leagues play holds, though). But after seeing that display yesterday, I agree!

For those of you in Deep leagues. Might I intrest you in some Mark Ellis?

2B Hitting right infront of Matt Kemp. Already got 3 runs..

any of you guys stashing trevor bauer on the bench, anticipating a call up?

Drafted him in both of my leagues. He's worth the stash, IMO.

any of you guys stashing trevor bauer on the bench, anticipating a call up?

To replace whom?

drop alex rios possibly, got lorenzo cain on my bench, or possibly go without a catcher in wilson ramos, because i have jesus montero on the bench as well, waiting for eligibility.

Sorry, I meant who would Bauer replace? Just not sure how soon a call up will happen without an injury.

well my league allows for 9 starts a week, i have 8 SPs and Aroldis Chapman who I was hoping to start, so when he gets the call up he would potentially just be added to the rotation, or if chapman is starting by then I would potentially have more options.

Sorry, I meant who would Bauer replace? Just not sure how soon a call up will happen without an injury.

Collmenter, if he pitches like he did during the spring, or Saunders. Both of whom are placeholders for Bauer and Skaggs.