Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BIG SKI

George Springer - OF HOU

Nice Start last night. 2 nice catches and 2-4 with HR (grandslam) 5 RBI's

Came up with the bases loaded took 2 monster swings that he almost fell down on, 1st one ball was in the dirt, second one ball was head high. Then worked the count and hit a BOMB over the centerfield fence.

Springer seems to be underrated to me. He was a beast in college and I could easily see him make the top 30 on most prospect lists next season with all his tools.

Yeah nice speed power combo, if he can make enough contact. Off to a 4-8 start with 2 K's

Funny how my only real concern with him is the fact that the Astros drafted him. They pretty much have the worst scouts ever. Springer is an intriguing player, though.

0-5 with 5 K's OUCH

Tough to see a college kid have problems like that in High A

0-5 with 5 K's OUCH

Tough to see a college kid have problems like that in High A

Everyone knew he had contact problems even in college. We just have to see if he can get better as a pro.

Then he goes off. 4-4 R (2)3B (3)RBI

Good to see he didn't mope

Homered in 4 straight AB's. Last AB in game 1 and all 3 AB's in game 2. Wonder what the record is?

This is extremely premature, but I have heard comparisons to kemp in terms of tools...I believe his batting average is the biggest concern in that comparison.

This is extremely premature, but I have heard comparisons to kemp in terms of tools...I believe his batting average is the biggest concern in that comparison.

He's at .310, but 11/44 BB/K rate is not gonna cut it.

Maybe Chris Young is a more fair comparison.

Thats what i was thinking

At 20 years old and in A+ ball, Kemp had a ratio of 25/92 (bb/k)... almost 1/4, which is the same as Springer is currently. Obvious difference is the age, as Springer is 22. In Kemp's age 21 season, he drastically cut down his K's to less than 1/2 ratio when he played in both AA and AAA ball, so there was a significant improvement. I think that Springer's current bb/k rate would imply a poorer average in the future if he can not improve this ratio as he advances.

So this guy is a definite keeper in a 12 team dynasty then? Is it too premature for a September call up this year?

too premature....seriously doubt a callup will happen....Houston doesn't have strong organizational depth, which could help him reach the majors sooner than later so long as he continues to improve.

Went 1-2 B4 getting HBP and leaving the game. Looks like a bean brawl with all the HBP'S.

He's having a heck of a year (Even though he's 22 in A+ Ball) and hes hitting .333 with around 20 HR's and 25 steals. definitely looking like a five tool player. I only hope his strikeouts do not get to him. he has strook out over 100 times this year.

Two BOMBS in ST today. Any chance we see him early this season?

That Astro OF is really a mess so we could, but I think he will at least be up in Sept.

Struggled mightily in AA last year. I'd expect him to go back there to start the season. If he rakes, I could see him up by July/August

Saw a lot of him here in CT. Kid has a special talent....but he also misses the baseball quite a bit. He has enormous upside, but I think he needs to spend at least the first half of the year in AA to see how he reacts to better breaking pitches. I want to think he's going to be up soon....but I'm very worried about the contact rate declining badly.

even if he has a bad contact rate....will he be an everyday player in HOU in the future?

Not for the first half of the year....but I have a feeling he's going to really struggle for a while. Expectations need to be tempered with him. He's going to hit for power, and punish mistakes. He's also going to be able to steal some bases. But he's going to struggle getting on base at times.