Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BIG SKI

George Springer - OF HOU

Springer has been on fire so far this season playing in the Double A Texas League. His numbers so far through 24 games.

2013 AA Stats:

G 24

AB 89

AVG. 303

R 19

2B 8

3B 0

HR 8

RBI 20

BB 14

SO 30

SB 4

His strikeout to walk ratio is pretty good as well which leads me to believe he has improved his plate discipline. Hes 23 and I think he should be called up by at least mid season. In his last 10 games he only gone hitless in 1 game. With the Astros always in need of offense I cant see a reason to hold him down much longer. Keep an eye on him. I think he'll be up sooner than later with the Stros not in contention.

Springer has been on fire so far this season playing in the Double A Texas League. His numbers so far through 24 games.

2013 AA Stats:

G 24

AB 89

AVG. 303

R 19

2B 8

3B 0

HR 8

RBI 20

BB 14

SO 30

SB 4

His strikeout to walk ratio is pretty good as well which leads me to believe he has improved his plate discipline. Hes 23 and I think he should be called up by at least mid season. In his last 10 games he only gone hitless in 1 game. With the Astros always in need of offense I cant see a reason to hold him down much longer. Keep an eye on him. I think he'll be up sooner than later with the Stros not in contention.

His walk rate is up a little from his overall season last year, but so is his strikeout rate. The guy strikes out close to 30% of the time in the minors, it's going to be brutal for his batting average. He should be good for some homers and some steals when he eventually gets the call, but there's no drastic change in his strikeout rate to believe he will be an asset in average.

Almost forgot about this guy, probably as good a time as any to add him. Maxwells out for awhile and Grossman looks overmatched so far, maybe they turn to Springer next.

2013 AA Stats:

G 24

AB 89

AVG. 303

R 19

2B 8

3B 0

HR 8

RBI 20

BB 14

SO 30

SB 4

His walk rate is up a little from his overall season last year, but so is his strikeout rate. The guy strikes out close to 30% of the time in the minors, it's going to be brutal for his batting average. He should be good for some homers and some steals when he eventually gets the call, but there's no drastic change in his strikeout rate to believe he will be an asset in average.

As far as the strikeouts go he would fit right in with the Astros lineup. ;)

With ankiel and Martinez dfa'd yesterday how much longer for this 4 and a half cat stud? 11 bombs 7 steals so far at double A.

Im sure he will be promoted to AAA soon. Definately at least a Sept. call up at this point.

The combination of power and speed is amazing. But GM Jeff Luhnow has been adamant about bringing along the prospects slowly which puts a damper on a mid season call up. I'm sure the Stros really want to continue to have work Springer work on his pitch recognition so he can lower his K rate. Most likely is a Sept call up so Springer will most likely be useless in redraft leagues.

But I'm really hoping Springer goes on an even hotter streak, lowers his K rate some, and gets the call. The fact he's 23 doesn't hurt as that's when most prospects can their first extended look in the bigs.

Had a couple of bad games may 09 and 10 going 0-5 with 5 k's, but back on track.

3-4 with a homer on saturday and 1-1 so far today with another HR. Up to 13 HR's on the season to go along with 9 SB's.

On a side note regarding the HOU outfield situation:

Astros manager Bo Porter said J.D. Martinez, Robbie Grossman and Jimmy Paredes will receive "the bulk of the playing time" in the outfield.

That's probably the crappiest starting OF I've seen in some time. Springer isn't going to be rushed, but one's gotta think if he continues to mash, he could get a call prior to the normal Sept type cup of coffee.

I don't know how this guy can't get a call up this year at the ASB (at the latest). Who is holding him back from the starting lineup? They got no one, and if he continues to mash, last 10 games: .333, 5 HR's, 11 RBI's, 3 BB, 13 SO, 5 SB, .395 OBP, .769 SLG I don't see why you wouldn't.

So the Astros got a new President in Reid Ryan (son of Nolan) who was previously running the AA and AAA teams. Do we think this changes the timetable for Springer and maybe gets him called up sooner rather than later?

So the Astros got a new President in Reid Ryan (son of Nolan) who was previously running the AA and AAA teams. Do we think this changes the timetable for Springer and maybe gets him called up sooner rather than later?

God I hope so!

That's exactly what I was thinking. I think that is a great sign for Springer. Honestly, if he was brought up now he would be the best OF on the team and I think Ryan knows that, especially after watching him tear it up in AAA. I say he gets called up before the end of the season.

I'd actually be dissapointed with a September call up. I'm hoping more along the lines of mid to late June.

Got my eye on this guy big time. Really has a shot to get AB soon with the awful lineup. Could come up next month.

My outfield could use him now with no doubt

I've seen Springer a few times during his career at UConn, and was always overly impressed with him. all of the tools are there for him to be a fantastic player. however, that Herculean K ratio has me very worried about his ability to make contact consistently at the big league level. His K rate is 35.4% this year....which is obscenely high....and though it's at a career high clip, he's been over 30% throughout the minor leagues so far. I know I'm not reinventing the wheel here, but I am certainly concerned about his ability to hit when he gets called up. When he hits, it'll still be hard. When he gets on, he'll steal bases. we'll see.

I've seen Springer a few times during his career at UConn, and was always overly impressed with him. all of the tools are there for him to be a fantastic player. however, that Herculean K ratio has me very worried about his ability to make contact consistently at the big league level. His K rate is 35.4% this year....which is obscenely high....and though it's at a career high clip, he's been over 30% throughout the minor leagues so far. I know I'm not reinventing the wheel here, but I am certainly concerned about his ability to hit when he gets called up. When he hits, it'll still be hard. When he gets on, he'll steal bases. we'll see.

On a positive note, the kid knows how to take a walk. Last 10 games he has 13 walks but also has 12 K's.

If he continues on his current path, he'll probably end up like Drew Stubbs that walks more.

But I'm hoping he pans out like Dunn with less power but with speed!

I can see him batting 240ish but with enough steals and hrs to be a solid contributor

Another 2 homers today. With Grossman going down and that OF looking absolutely horrible, how long until we see Springer come up?

Another 2 homers today. With Grossman going down and that OF looking absolutely horrible, how long until we see Springer come up?

has to be right after 6/10 i'd think

I think Chris Young/B.J. Upton is his floor. Grady Sizemore is his ceiling. I like how everyone is undervaluing him based on his Ks. I'll be pouncing on him when he gets the call.

has to be right after 6/10 i'd think

After 6/10 is it safe to say he will be up this year?

I think it is. June optimistic September for sure.