Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BIG SKI

George Springer - OF HOU

Maxwell coming back from the DL as a corner outfielder because Brandon Barnes is playing center field is code for George springer is right around the corner IMO so Justin may as well get used to the corner spot now

Maxwell coming back from the DL as a corner outfielder because Brandon Barnes is playing center field is code for George springer is right around the corner IMO so Justin may as well get used to the corner spot now

Not sure how the bellow quote is code for that. Although I wish.

"Porter said. "Brandon Barnes has done a great job there. He will warrant some continued playing time. That's why we've had Maxwell play some places beside center field [during his rehab assignment]"

Has Brandon Barnes play stuck out to you? Have you even heard of him before that quote? You've got a guy in the minors that is a 40/40 candidate this season in double A that plays a stud centerfield. You're moving your best major league center fielder off the position that some no name has stolen it from him because of injury? Its because Brandon Barnes is not the future there and neither is maxwell so why not take the opportunity to move him off it now while you have an excuse so it clears the way for a five cat stud. I'm sure I'm reading to much into though.

Assuming you're right H1, when do you see GS getting the call? I need a shot in the arm in one of my leagues and I think GS could be it.

It's still a possibility he doesn't even get the call no matter how well he plays in AA?

Yeah you are right he may not even get the call. I could have just been wishful thinking. But if I'm the stros I promote both springer and singleton within the week to trip A hope they mash for a month bringem up before august. Obviously best case scenario. Worst case neither come up even for a September call up. I just think Brandon Barnes playing center is less of a road block than maxwell was and maxwell is part of the future same as springer and Singleton. But I would have bet will myers would have been up before half the guys getting the call the last couple weeks.

He's still striking out too much. Someone upthread pointed out that the K rate is decreasing monthly, which is a really great sign and I hope it continues, but I want to see him south of 30% for a sustained period. I just see a kid who is still too raw. Best case scenario in my book is a promotion to AAA shortly after ASB, and a strong performance there for the second half of the season, making him MLB-bound after super-2 in 2014. I think it's more a matter of whether he's one of those guys that is forcing a callup next season, rather than a guy who will be promoted and stick in 2013.

So for this year there is nothing to be gained from a baseball growth perspective by being in the minors versus the majors?

His development into a star MLB baseball player (assuming that happens) is being delayed by him not getting ABs at the MLB level this year? GS is not honing his skills faster in AA than what would happen at the MLB level.

George Springer - OF - Astros

The Astros have promoted OF George Springer to Triple-A Oklahoma City.

Springer dominated at Double-A Corpus Christi, batting .299/.402/.575 with 18 home runs and 23 stolen bases. With the current state of the Astros' outfield, the 2011 first-round pick should eventually be an option at the major league level this season.

Source: Brian McTaggart on Twitter

Jun 23 - 10:03 PM

George Springer - OF - Astros

The Astros have promoted OF George Springer to Triple-A Oklahoma City.

Springer dominated at Double-A Corpus Christi, batting .299/.402/.575 with 18 home runs and 23 stolen bases. With the current state of the Astros' outfield, the 2011 first-round pick should eventually be an option at the major league level this season.

Source: Brian McTaggart on Twitter

Jun 23 - 10:03 PM

I'd like to add he hit a HR in his final game at AA so it's 19 HR so far this year.

But my god, his K rate is crazy....18 in the last 10 games. It doesn't matter how long they keep springer in the minors, K's are gonna be part of his game. But the power/speed combo should make him a very fantasy friendly player.

I'd say September is likely assuming his K rate doesn't get even worse and he keeps hitting well

If his K rate is that crazy are we looking at another Chris Carter?! My gosh...isn't one Chris Carter enough on a team?!

Not sure how he'll transition, but even with the high k rate, kid is still hitting right around .300 this season, and he takes walks, 42 in 273AB's, ops over .900. Last year, he K'ed 156 times in 506abs but still hit .302.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=543807

Perhaps the MLB coaches can help cut the K rate, but if he can maintain the decent BA, while stealing bases and providing the power he's displaying, he'll be helpful, especially playing in Hou's bandbox.

George Springer of the @cchooks goes deep for the second time tonight, this time to left field with a two-run shot. 6-0 South B8

George Springer of the @cchooks goes deep for the second time tonight, this time to left field with a two-run shot. 6-0 South B8

Didn't realize it was the all star game.

2/3 with 2 HR's, 1 BB, 0 k's and a SB to top it off. Clearly the star of the all star game.

all the tools on display tonight. power speed and the eye....

Justin Maxwell Possibly hurt. Maybe a call up or not?

If his K rate is that crazy are we looking at another Chris Carter?! My gosh...isn't one Chris Carter enough on a team?!

He has speed that Carter doesn't. He's probably more like a better version of Drew Stubbs.

He has speed that Carter doesn't. He's probably more like a better version of Drew Stubbs.

stubbs never put up a good average in the minors. the closest comparison I've been able to draw for this guy is curtis granderson. The Ks , the power, the speed. Even the body type, they're all very close.

yep first trip a bomb in game number two