Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lawilt

Sleepers For 2012

34 posts in this topic

does anyone have some idp sleepers for 2012 that could be steals at the end of the draft

k.j.wright, sea, lb

kelvin sheppard, buf, lb

jasper brinkley, min, lb

is there any websites that show what percentage of tackles for a defense go to each position on that team because ive noticed OLB don't provide anywhere near the same value as an ILB

it's not that simple

a lot has to do with scheme

head to footballguys.com if you want deeeeeeeep IDP analysis

always

you must be new

you must not know much about fantasy football....what OLB besides james anderson finished in the top 10 for standard espn scoring

I think Wheaterspoon for ATL finished top 10? maybe not. I would say N. Bowman for SF if you can consider him a sleeper. I still believe people will overlook him for Willis.

he was around 15 and people would be foolish to sleep on bowman

Agreed. Doesn't mean they won't though.

what OLB besides james anderson finished in the top 10 for standard espn scoring

Nick Barnett finished in the top 10 in most scoring systems last season, and Chad Greenway was likely just outside the top-10. Both were OLBs the entire season. What matters here is not position, per se, but rather who gets the snaps in the nickel subpackages. For example, Kelvin Sheppard, who was mentioned as a sleeper earlier in this thread, will be the Bills MLB. However, Dave Wannstedt has gone on record saying that Sheppard will come off the field in the nickel, while Barnett will stay on the field. The same thing will happen in Minnesota, with Brinkley coming off the field in the nickel.

In both cases, it's simple math from here. More time on the field = more opportunity to score fantasy points. So the real key to finding value at LB in your IDP leagues is paying close attention to who gets those all-important nickel snaps. And I can tell you one LB who almost certainly will not get those snaps this season - James Anderson.

thats also proving my point, 2 OLB in the top ten and maybe 4 or 5 in the top 20 shows that ILB have more value. part of it is getting more playing time but the other part is they also have more opportunities to get tackles by being responsible for the middle of the field

I prefer not to generalize because of guys like Donald Brown, Dan Connor or Sheppard. All of these guys play on the inside, but none got nickel snaps last season. This really limited their fantasy value. While Brown did put up very good numbers, his value was capped at about an LB2 ceiling in a two-down role.

The point here, is that we need to be ahead of the curve if we want to dominate our league. One way we can really get an edge on the other owners in our league if we're aware of who gets those all-important nickel snaps.

you def know your s--- so i appreciate the insight....on a side note what are your thoughts on jerod mayo this year. i have an idp league and i know im keeping 4 lbs as my 4 keepers for it but im trying to choose between colin macarthy and mayo for the last spot. since they switched to the 4-3 it seems like mayo just hasnt been the same with spikes moving inside and with the addition of hightower i feel like mayo could be on the field fewer snaps now. my other three lbs are derrick johnson, timmons, and james laurinaitis. but there also a lot of lbs people will be sleeping on this year as well

No problem man, and thanks for the compliment. I like Mayo as a solid LB2 option this season and currently have him ranked as my 19th LB. But to me, it's not close between him and McCarthy. I have McCarthy ranked 8th for 2012, and 4th in dynasty formats. You have a nice corps of LBs there with Johnson, Laurinaitis, and McCarthy all projecting as LB1s for 2012 and beyond.

The real question you have is between Timmons and Mayo. I have Timmons ranked two spots ahead of Mayo at 17 for 2012, but they have flip-flopped in the various versions of my rankings this off-season. Right now, I lean Timmons because I see a return to his 2010 form this season, as he hopefully will not be called to fill in for injured OLBs like he was last season. I would give him the slight edge in dynasty formats as well. Regarding snaps, I think we still see Mayo in an every down role, but his declining tackle production last season gives me pause. It could certainly have been a product of his injury issues, but for now I'm tempering my expectations and doubt we see him as an LB1 this season.

yeah man that's they way im feeling about mayo but its hard for me to let him go after the 2010 season he had and i thought they might switch back to a 3-4 with the DE they took in first round. he was a 3 down lb last year so i just didnt see how he had such a drop off and when he was healthy he still couldnt get more then 6-8 tackles in a game. i have a feeling theyll keep dropping him to coverage more and use spikes and hightower more in run support.

im curious what you think of perry riley of washington, im expecting big things from him this year, i think he could become this years pat angerer.

im curious what you think of perry riley of washington, im expecting big things from him this year, i think he could become this years pat angerer.

Riley is in a great situation to make the leap into fantasy relevance this season. I had him as a solid LB2 before Fletcher resigned, but with the old man back, I think we see Riley put up LB3 numbers in an every-down role. He comes with a nice ceiling though, especially long-tem, and is an excellent target for dynasty owners.

In terms of the Angerer comparison, I don't know as I go that far. Angerer was thrust into an every down role and had little competition for tackles last season, whereas Riley has one of the most prolific tacklers in the league's history playing right beside him. One thing that Riley and Angerer have in common is that their home stat crews were among the league's highest in terms of awarding assisted tackles last season. From an IDP standpoint, this is not a good thing. Under the new tackle recording model, tackles that used to be recorded as shared solos now default to assisted tackles. Simply put, this means less fantasy points from our LBs, especially from those with stat crews like Indy and Washington who tend to award more shared/assisted tackles than other stat crews.

idk riley did put up impressive numbers last year for only have a season of work with fletcher on the field....whats your email? i tried sending u a message on here but it wouldnt let me

A closer look at his numbers shows that a lot of those tackles are assists and not solos, so I'm still hesitant to put Riley in that upside LB2 tier. I don't have a RotoWorld email address yet (and don't think I'm going to get one), so just hit me up on Twitter.

i dont use twitter....i was going to see if your intersted in a dynasty league thats starting up

i dont use twitter....i was going to see if your intersted in a dynasty league thats starting up

You're really missing out. There's a tremendous football community on Twitter. It's a resource that can really give you an edge on your league mates. As for the dynasty start up, I appreciate the invite, but I'm going to have to pass. I really have my hands full with leagues right now, and if I join any more, I think my wife will kill me. But if you're interested in taking a look, here are two startup IDP dynasty leagues I'm currently drafting in: PFF Staff Dynasty League and the Full Impact IDP League, which was put together by the guys over at the Huddle.

what websites are using that new talking model and where did u see that

Was this directed at me? If so, I don't follow.

i like him just bc he played at nc state and i graduated from there but as far as a fantasy stand point i wouldnt draft him, i think hell be available on waivers since hes the backup mlb right now

I got it straight from Cecil Lammey that Irving has yet to really impress the coaching staff. Looks like we'll see Mays again on running downs, with him rotating out in nickel situations. For now, Irving is only a dynasty stash and a guy you keep a close eye on for your redraft waiver wires.