Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AnonymousRob

Official 2012 Buy Low & Sell High Thread

650 posts in this topic

It's never too early to take advantage of nervous owners and/or jump off a sinking ship!

I'll start this off by suggesting buy Ike Davis. It's only 3 games but he's done nothing. Between his 0-fers and Valley Fever, his value is relatively low right now.

2 people like this

Alex Gordon has had an awful start, could spin it saying last year was a fluke or something like that, don't know who would believe it though.

Colby Rasmus is doing terrible and is batting either 8th or 9th in the lineup.

2 people like this

Sell high on Cespedes. I'm not sure why pitchers keep throwing him fastballs down the middle instead of making him chase breaking balls but alas.

Rasmus has me legitimately concerned, as I thought he was a .260-20-20 guy this year. But he can't even make contact, too early to panic, but if Snider rakes in AAA, I could see the Toronto OF being a revolving door until 2 guys can slot in by Bautista. At least Colby has better D than the alternatives, could buy him a longer leash.

Sell high on Cespedes. I'm not sure why pitchers keep throwing him fastballs down the middle instead of making him chase breaking balls but alas.

He looks really good but as a rookie, he will fade as the season progresses.

This. I haven't seen him hit a curve ball out. Reminds me of Matt Kemp when he came up couldnt hit a curve ball to save his life. Zito would destroy him every at bat. I would sell Cespedes.

Austin Jackson for sell high, although I think he puts it together this year and gives a great season.

Keep Austin Jackson. He's only 25 and showing his potential while batting lead off in one of the most lethal lineups.

This. I haven't seen him hit a curve ball out. Reminds me of Matt Kemp when he came up couldnt hit a curve ball to save his life. Zito would destroy him every at bat. I would sell Cespedes.

I'm actually thinking about buying Cespedes. Don't get me wrong - there's no way he's going to keep up the home run pace. But if the owner in my league is determined to 'sell high', he might be giving up on him for lower than he's worth.

1 person likes this

this might sound really dumb but if you can get a good two for one trade maybe miguel cabrera? if someone is willing to give you like a hosmer and carloz gonzalez if you really need to fill a poistion. if you have a good 1b on the bench and need another position or two and someone is willing to give a lot for him maybe you do it.

for instance.....hosmer or teixeira is on your bench. you neeed SP and a SS. if you can get tulowitzki and weaver why not.

How exactly do we, the fantasy community, know that Cespedes can't hit a curveball to save his life? I think I must have missed something along the way if this is fact already.

1 person likes this

Buy low on Jayson Werth.

People kept saying that last year too :P

But yeh, if he continues to struggle, he should be a nice buy low. I still think it's too early for buy lows and sell highs (unless someone believes in Cespedes that much). I know I have to give it about another week for position players before I can possibly buy low on some people.

this might sound really dumb but if you can get a good two for one trade maybe miguel cabrera? if someone is willing to give you like a hosmer and carloz gonzalez if you really need to fill a poistion. if you have a good 1b on the bench and need another position or two and someone is willing to give a lot for him maybe you do it.

for instance.....hosmer or teixeira is on your bench. you neeed SP and a SS. if you can get tulowitzki and weaver why not.

Selling swiggy might make sense for individual teams but in a general sense he fits neither the buy low nor sell high category.

I'm trying to buy low opp on MadBum

1 person likes this

I see one potential buy low, though you will have to wait until his next start. Felix Hernandez, got shelled against Oakland (though the reliever gave up his last two ERs) and is only averaging 91 on his fastball. While there's a risk of injury with any pitcher that has seen a significant drop in his velocity, Felix could still be a very good pitcher if he doesn't reclaim all of his velocity (especially with the benefit of pitching in Safeco). If he gets shelled in his next outing against the Rangers, if might be a good time to float his owner in your league an offer.

I've actually seen Cespedes hammer some breaking balls. Sell high if you want, but the guy has made a believer out of me. He's going to K a lot, but he's also going to hit a TON of homers.

I won't' be taking any chances on Jayson Werth. He just not a very good hitter anymore.

1 person likes this

I'm trying to buy low opp on MadBum

I think there are plenty of good chances to buy low on pitchers. MadBum, Cain, Beckett, CC, Haren, Rivera, Axford, Gio, Latos...the list could go on.

Are people buying or selling Adam laRoches hot start?

Hold. Swing looks good. Turned on a 95 MPH inside fastball from Garza this series. He's always been a slow starter so him starting hot is a good sign.

I guess that makes him a buy, not a hold.

Lincecum. 89 mph fastball, potential inverted W reported. I'm scurred.

the fact that i drafted him for the first time ever already had me scared. i ruined Ichiro's career last season..

is it me or are these early season rotoworld player blurbs being written by an overreactive fantasy owner who i wished was in my league? every guy who had a game so far seems to get mentioned as a potential MVP or heading towards a career year.

i wouldnt trust cespedes..if he keeps hitting, then pitchers will just stop throwing him anything decent to hit, and he's not going to sit there and take walks...plus pitchers havent had an opportunity to get a book on him yet.

Buy Cespedes? For what? He has 3 HR after 1/2 week. What would you pay to get him?