Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rperricone

Ozzie Guillen

69 posts in this topic

Marlins suspended manager Ozzie Guillen for five games for his recent comments regarding Fidel Castro.

The Marlins levied the suspension after Guillen recently told Time magazine he loves Castro and respects the Cuban dictator for staying in power so long. Guillen has already apologized for his comments, but will do so again at a press conference in Miami on Tuesday at 10:30 a.m. ET. MLB is reportedly looking into the situation, but it's not known if Guillen will face further punishment.

So much for freedom of speech

Its just Ozzie being Ozzie. He's like a cat in that respect in that he often washes his feet with his mouth.

It had to be done. I love Ozzie and all but the guy is a serious lunatic. Can't be saying stuff to upset your already meager fanbase, a portion of it of Cuban ethnicity.

I support Freedom of Speech, but also understand it comes with consequences. Specially when employed, and the major source of income for your Employer is the Cuban-American Community. Actually, the same people that pushed for a new stadium in Little Havana, then you turn around and slap them in the face.

This isn't anything different than Rush Limbaugh's comment, or the ***** in the Armor headline.

They should have fired that POS.

Congratulations to the Miami front office and ownership, they should also be suspended for hiring him. You live in the bed that you make.

I support Freedom of Speech, but also understand it comes with consequences. Specially when employed, and the major source of income for your Employer is the Cuban-American Community. Actually, the same people that pushed for a new stadium in Little Havana, then you turn around and slap them in the face.

This isn't anything different than Rush Limbaugh's comment, or the ***** in the Armor headline.

They should have fired that POS.

Yes it is, those are media people who get paid to talk and write. This is a baseball manager. He should be allowed to speak his opinion. As long as it doesn't spark any riots.

This was dumb, even by Ozzie standards. Probably the worst possible scenario for ownership. Being controversial is one thing. That they can deal with. Pouring salt in the wounds of your fanbase is what makes people not support a manager and club. How the heck do you sour a fanbase and city so quickly? Wow. All that good will from the new stadium, players, and manager could be gone just like that. I can't even think of something worse that a manager could do and still keep his job.

Yes it is, those are media people who get paid to talk and write. This is a baseball manager. He should be allowed to speak his opinion. As long as it doesn't spark any riots.

Praising Castro can be pretty incendiary in certain populations...

Although the comment wasnt in good taste, its true that you have to give some sort of respect to leaders like Fidel, ONLY based on the fact that he was able to stay in power for so long. nothing more. nothing less. Same can be said for people like Stalin, Hitler, etc. not many people can rally a country like they did, even if they did kill millions of innocent peoples, they are still probably one of the greatest leaders the world has ever seen along with Castro. Evil bunch of people, but great leaders nonetheless.

regardless, i agree with the previous posters who mentioned that there is a huge cuban fan base. some of those people might be calling for Ozzie's head hahaha. but thats just Ozzie. the idiot doesnt think before he speaks.

Think of all the things Ozzie has said over the years... maybe it's all just finaly catching up with him. I do hate the fact that people get so offended over a crazy man's words. Develop some perspective for God's sake. :wacko:

Freedom of speech loses some of its teeth when you work for a private entity, the employer has a product and brand to protect and that comes before all else and its been upheld time and again and its been upheld through the courts, that speech is not protected from disciplinary action in the private sector.

Call it Ozzie being Ozzie, I call it being stupid. Theres a huge Cuban-American population in the Miami area, one that stridently opposes Castro and for Ozzie to be so clueless when he made those comments that it might be offensive to a large part of the Marlins fan base is inexcusable. Even if he claims to be misquoted or misunderstood, hes got to know better than that. This isnt being controversial, its being an idiot whos has no awareness and who put the team and ownership group in an awful position. Hes lucky they dont can him.

Marlins suspended manager Ozzie Guillen for five games for his recent comments regarding Fidel Castro.

The Marlins levied the suspension after Guillen recently told Time magazine he loves Castro and respects the Cuban dictator for staying in power so long. Guillen has already apologized for his comments, but will do so again at a press conference in Miami on Tuesday at 10:30 a.m. ET. MLB is reportedly looking into the situation, but it's not known if Guillen will face further punishment.

Also, the freedom of speech allows you to say what you want (which Ozzie is welcome to do). It doesn't mean you're allowed to say anything without consequences. You can insult your boss to his face, but the freedom of speech doesn't mean he can't fire you...

edit: basically what dzemens said but it also does apply to the public sector too. I'm pretty sure public school teachers have been fired for things they have said. (Although I could definitely be wrong as I'm no lawyer).

Also, the freedom of speech allows you to say what you want (which Ozzie is welcome to do). It doesn't mean you're allowed to say anything without consequences. You can insult your boss to his face, but the freedom of speech doesn't mean he can't fire you...

Agreed. I would have less of a problem if they had fired him. I just don't get the suspension

That's just it though, this might actually have that effect. There are numerous protests planned outside of the stadium. The suspension and apology is to try and defuse the situation, but Ozzie really screwed up on this one.

I'm all for freedom of speech, but you have to know who your audience is and who is paying the bills. You don't offend your customers and those that pay your salary. It's bad for business.

Really bad answer from Ozzie. He does have the right to free speech but under the 1st Amendment that means he can't be censored by the federal and state government. He can however be fired because his employer doesn't like it. Ozzie might need one of those personality partners like Josh Hamilton has...

People should be able to voice their opinions without fear of reprimand. What happened to free speech rights? Its not like he's advocating killing or hurting people or anything. I find the fact that he was suspended by the team shocking to the conscience.

Ozzie represents the Marlins, Ozzie made statements that are harmful to the organizations ability to operate. Hes allowed to speak all he wants, but the organization has every right to punish him for comments like that. Needless to say this is going to lead to protests, maybe not riots but its not just going to go away with his wishy-washy apology and 5 game suspension. This is a big deal in that area and is likely to linger.

Its a headache the Marlins dont need now, and based on how this plays out, perhaps the same can be said for Ozzie.

People should be able to voice their opinions without fear of reprimand. What happened to free speech rights? Its not like he's advocating killing or hurting people or anything. I find the fact that he was suspended by the team shocking to the conscience.

The fact that Castro has a direct role in killing and hurting people is the reason he was reprimanded...

Praising Castro is akin to praising Saddam Hussein, Adolph Hitler, or Kim Jong Il. Ozzie's comments put up a barrier to casual fans. In any other profession, he would have been fired (and rightfully so). This is going to cost the Marlins big time IMO.

Has a sports figure ever been suspended for something that they have said in public? I can't think of anyone

Again, the courts have established that speech is not protected from disciplinary action in the private sector. Employers have every right to discipline employees who make comments that are harmful to the organization and what Ozzie did is clearly detrimental to the organization.