Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emtall

Kyle Drabek 2012 Season Outlook

65 posts in this topic

Drabek surprised a lot of people by winning a rotation spot in the spring. I thought for sure after his horrible stint in the majors last year, he would wind back up in AAA to start the season. Now he has a second chance to pitch well and stay in the majors permanently. He was at one time a highly regarded prospect. What is everyone expecting to see for his first start tonight against the Red Sox?

What is everyone expecting to see for his first start tonight against the Red Sox?

a lot of crooked numbers on the scoreboard

a lot of crooked numbers on the scoreboard

He's going against Bard tonight...

So Pitchers Duel right? ;)

Make all the jokes you want, I'll project the following line

5.2 IP, 4 H 2 ER 7 K 3 BB, no decision

Quick 1-2-3 inning to start the game. Haters are silent

this guy has to be a troll

He struck out Ortiz on a nasty FB inside, but seemed to get shaken after leaving one up to Youk. It was a rough inning overall. Couldn't throw a strike to save his life at one point. But down 3-0 to Cody Ross, he bounced back nicely with two fastballs, then struck him out with another. Struck out Salty with a FB too. His FB has good movement and velocity he just needs to locate it. I like the way he persevered that inning and hopefully his command improves as the game goes on.

1 person likes this

Another strong inning. Showing a good changeup now to go with his sinker, inducing grounders

1 person likes this

Drabek is looking real good out there. Hopefully his work on his delivery in the offseason pays off!

i have him & Ross Detwiler starting tonight and i am very happy with their performance.

of course as soon as i say this Drabek gives up a walk & a double.

Yeah he really lost his command this inning. I think he's improved over last year, but he has a lot of work to do. Was pitching from behind in the count way too often throughout the game.

Yeah he really lost his command this inning. I think he's improved over last year, but he has a lot of work to do. Was pitching from behind in the count way too often throughout the game.

True, but still a much nicer start that another hyped bust last year (Matusz) I'm long on Drabek.

Still doesn't look like the former "untouchable" prospect in the Phils farm system.....

Still doesn't look like the former "untouchable" prospect in the Phils farm system.....

5.1 3 1 1 3 4 0 1.12 1.69

That line against Boston gives hope he may one day be what he was thought to be.

Man this kid was nasty tonight but he just lost it in the 6th. His new 2 seamer has tons of movement..Very encouraging start

Encouraging debut vs a tough lineup. He lost it in the 6th, but the 1 walk through 5 prior to that was really good to see

From what I've read, Drabek has worked on mental issues during his pitching outings. Seems more relaxed, another year more mature, and if he can keep his emotions in check when he starts to run into trouble, he could turn in a real nice season for the Jays. Here's hoping anyway. B)

Anyone else considering trotting him out there vs Bal @ home tomorrow?

I just picked him up specifically for his start tomorrow followed by his start @ KC. He looked solid vs. Boston last week. He's still got work to do, but I think he can put up solid, if not great, lines this week.

No Reynolds, Reimold, Wieters and Hardy. If he can't put up good numbers today then he never will.