Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DWright5

Jordan Schafer 2012 Season Outlook

85 posts in this topic

Schafer is 3-4 with 3 SB so far tonight. He bats leadoff for the Houston Astros and is only 25 years old. He might be a good post hype sleeper to watch.

I think he'll be a solid source of SBs in deeper leagues (maybe around 30+) but other than that I'm not sure what to expect. Hit well in ST though.

I can pick him up tonight while my league mates are asleep. Does everyone think he can hit around .260?? Also, how many SB are we looking at?? Does he have elite speed or just get good jumps? I know he didn't steal a lot in the minors, so I'm just wondering what we can expect from him.

I just picked this guy up, had a couple good games, smacked a homerun, 3 sb's in one game, sounds like a solid add, anyone have more info on this guy?

This is from ESPN.

He expects to be OK moving forward, while the Houston Chronicle reports that Schafer's stock his risen this spring. "He's got power," general manager Jeff Luhnow said. "He's got speed. He's got plus instincts and skills in the outfield. I don't want to throw comps out there that aren't realistic, but he's definitely a guy you can dream on becoming a Jacoby Ellsbury-type player a guy who can hit home runs, steal bases and play good defense. He's been a highly touted prospect for a lot of years who hasn't really blossomed as much people thought or as quickly. But I think his time is now." Once hailed as an elite five-tool prospect, Schafer has been derailed by injuries and a couple of off-field issues, but it sounds like he'll get a long look as the regular center fielder in Houston.

Hopefully this is true, this would be a huge add for me because SB's are my weakest link.

This is from ESPN.

He expects to be OK moving forward, while the Houston Chronicle reports that Schafer's stock his risen this spring. "He's got power," general manager Jeff Luhnow said. "He's got speed. He's got plus instincts and skills in the outfield. I don't want to throw comps out there that aren't realistic, but he's definitely a guy you can dream on becoming a Jacoby Ellsbury-type player a guy who can hit home runs, steal bases and play good defense. He's been a highly touted prospect for a lot of years who hasn't really blossomed as much people thought or as quickly. But I think his time is now." Once hailed as an elite five-tool prospect, Schafer has been derailed by injuries and a couple of off-field issues, but it sounds like he'll get a long look as the regular center fielder in Houston.

Hopefully this is true, this would be a huge add for me because SB's are my weakest link.

This seems a bit extreme. I'd love for him to breakout this year, but comparing him to Ells? How often does that happen? Schafer's minor league numbers weren't anything great either.

I'm intrigued. I'm looking at Schafer or De Aza for SB help. Both are off to great starts this year. Schafer was supposed to be the next big OF talent but things always seemed to get derailed by injury.

Schafer got a walk to start the game and then followed it with a SB. A single brought him home. Atta boy Jordan! I hope we have a breakout.

Schafer with his 4th and 5th SB tonight. He's helping me run away with that cat in my NL roto. Houston seems pretty committed to running so I think he's going to rack up the SBs. He even stole 3rd on a double steal with two outs. Even though I think that's a moronic move in real life, I give it a major thumbs up for fantasy.

I hope we have a breakout.

I'm definitely intrigued. Astros have nothing to slow his playing time and as k.k. pointed out, he was supposed to be great at one time.

Must add in all leagues? Name some players you'd drop for him.

I dropped belt in one league and raburn in another league for him.

i'd drop ellsbury into the dl slot for him :)

I dropped Jose Tabata for him.

Schafer almost gave us a HR last night. In the top of the 11th he hit a ball that Bonifacio caught 1 step from the wall out in the corner in dead center around the 418 marker. I am really starting to hate this Marlins ballpark. I don't know if anyone will hit a HR there unless its pulled down the LF or RF line.

Schafer almost gave us a HR last night. In the top of the 11th he hit a ball that Bonifacio caught 1 step from the wall out in the corner in dead center around the 418 marker. I am really starting to hate this Marlins ballpark. I don't know if anyone will hit a HR there unless its pulled down the LF or RF line.

Yea, I was watching parts of the game yesterday and there were a couple of at bats by Carlos Lee and Chris Johnson that were very loud hits and would have been HR's in the majority of parks. Instead, they were warning track fly outs to deep left-center.

Wow, this kid has 3 walks in tonight's game. He is really showing good patience at the plate so far this year.