Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

natti

Brett Anderson 2012 Season Outlook

196 posts in this topic

I got him stashed, but i'd need to see some fairly dominant starts before i trust him in roto or in the h2h playoffs.

Who are the going to replace in the rotation. Their rotation has been very strong this year. Now with Anderson and McCarthy coming back there are a lot of questions. Parker and Milone are safe. Colon should be safe as long as they don't trade him. That would leave Griffin and Blackley as the 2 left out. Unless they go 6 man rotation and take out Blackley.

What are your guys thoughts on him for the rest of the season? Mid 3 ERA w/ 1.35 Whip? 60 Ks?

If he has a 1.35 WHIP there is nothing to get excited about.

I just know that command can be an issue when pitchers come back from Tommy John.

Looks like he's been limited to 75 pitches his first 3 rehab starts. His numbers aren't exactly impressive so I'm guessing he'll get at least 2 full starts before the call up. Could be a very nice addition for the playoff stretch for Oakland as well as fantasy owners.

I read he's 2 more rehab starts away from returning. So it'll probably be about a week and a half.

His last one was solid.

6 shutout innings, 3 hits, 1 BB, 4 Ks

Is he gonna knock Straily out of the rotation? Or are they gonna move to a 6 man?

Don't know, but Straily will knock himself out of the rotation if he struggles against the Royals and the Twins.

1 person likes this

Is he gonna knock Straily out of the rotation? Or are they gonna move to a 6 man?

Posting in the Clutch is right. A lot of things can happen before Anderson is due back. An injury might take place or more likely someone will pitch themselves out of a job. I'd either stash Anderson now or squeeze him onto your roster before he makes his official return. Ugly schedule so it depends on your league and who is available, of course. But he does have nice potential.

Posting in the Clutch is right. A lot of things can happen before Anderson is due back. An injury might take place or more likely someone will pitch themselves out of a job. I'd either stash Anderson now or squeeze him onto your roster before he makes his official return. Ugly schedule so it depends on your league and who is available, of course. But he does have nice potential.

I think he takes Parker's spot and they shut Parker down for the season with an innings limit

any update on what their plan for him is? Susan Slusser laid out about 3 or 4 different possibilities today on MLBN...but didn't give anything definitive really...

any update on what their plan for him is? Susan Slusser laid out about 3 or 4 different possibilities today on MLBN...but didn't give anything definitive really...

Susan Slusser is about as great a source you can find on all things A's related. Nothing is definitive at this time.

1 person likes this

I'm keeping him stashed and hoping for some quality starts once our playoffs begin. Being a Lynn and J Mac owner, I need a bit of help.

I'm keeping him stashed and hoping for some quality starts once our playoffs begin. Being a Lynn and J Mac owner, I need a bit of help.

Hey he's a crap shoot at this point. Why not go for it? Worse comes to worst you drop him. Big deal you picked him up in the later half of August and DLed him for a week+...

He was great 2 years ago. TJ doesn't mean a regression, so I think he'll be a nice surprise for all of us. Just give him a few starts. As long as he's ready come playoff games ;)

Not a bad upcoming schedule:

MIN

@CLE

BOS

@SEA

Yeah that's pretty money. If he looks good vs. MIN I'm adding him

wonder what this does to their rotation...and who may get cut from it...

Straily, I suppose

Already 155 innings this season (160.2 last year)

How's the velocity? Is Anderson a solid add right now or are most people going to wait and see what he does Tuesday vs the Twins?

How's the velocity? Is Anderson a solid add right now or are most people going to wait and see what he does Tuesday vs the Twins?

I would add him and bench him for his 1st start. He always had elite potential - he's just injury prone

I'd say Parker, he threw 135 last year coming off TJ surgery, this year he is up to 150. I would think they'd want to get Straily up to at least 180-200 this season.

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/index.php/brett-anderson-close-to-return/

Anderson has been clocked at 93 mph during his rehab stint, which is normal for him. In 2011, his fastball averaged about 91.5 mph, but in the two years prior, his fastball was about 92.6 mph. He’s also reportedly been able to throw his breaking pitches.

The other question is how well Anderson will perform if he’s thrust back into a starting role. Anderson has been pretty average on his rehab assignment. In five Triple-A starts, Anderson’s 4.63 ERA matches his 4.66 FIP. Home runs have been a problem for Anderson during those starts. His 1.54 HR/9 is much higher than his 0.82 career rate. The good thing is that his peripherals have been pretty solid. Anderson has struck out 18.2% of batters in Triple-A, which is slightly better than his rates in the majors the last two seasons. That’s good, since his strikeout rate could drop slightly once he faces major league hitters. The other promising factor is his walk rate. Anderson has always had strong walk rates, and that seems to be the case again this season. Anderson has walked just 5.1% of hitters in his Triple-A starts.

1 person likes this

Ahh yes, good info and thank you. Not as easy for me to research as much since I'm at my new job, lol!

I'm going to make this add, just gotta figure out who to drop...

This guy sounds like his era will drop over a few starts, and he will be good for my ratios. I doubt they let him pitch deep into games, but otherwise he seems like he could help a lot when it really matters, playoffs!