Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emtall

Jose Fernandez SP MIA

25K 6BB 2.12 ERA in 17 IP in A-ball this year

Scouting report from before the draft:

http://www.bbprospec...ernandez-report

ABILITIES: Big strong right-handed thrower, FB 90-94, probably capable of 94-96, might be more of a Francisco Cordero bad body, power arm Latin closer type.

WEAKNESSES: Not cut out to be a starter, lacks looseness and stamina, too much of a max effort huffer and puffer for that role.

SUMMARY: Big South Florida power arm stuff and presence profile best for ML closer role. Cordero or Valverde type.

But John Sickels thinks he can be a top of the rotation starter. If he can stick as a starter he looks like a really good prospect that went under the radar before the season.

GBO SAL 7 0 1.59 14 14 0 0 0 79.0 51 16 14 2 18 99 0.98

absolutely dominating A ball after 14 starts so far this year

99Ks in 79IP, 1.59 ERA opponents batting .189 against him.

Last year's draft class has a chance to be one for the ages and this guy is a big part of it. Very impressive twp pitch mix so far.

His changeup is way behind his other two pitches so some have questioned his ceiling.

His changeup is way behind his other two pitches so some have questioned his ceiling.

Ever watched him pitch? The kid is only 19, nobody expects him to have a great changeup yet. And his FB is so good that he's been able to get by on it so far. I've been following the minor leagues for a long time and I'm not worried. He has an ace ceiling.

Ever watched him pitch? The kid is only 19, nobody expects him to have a great changeup yet. And his FB is so good that he's been able to get by on it so far. I've been following the minor leagues for a long time and I'm not worried. He has an ace ceiling.

I'm not saying I was worried, all I said was that's what some say. He won't be able to get by with just his fastball as climbs the minor league ladder.

Baseball America has Fernandez ranked as the #8 prospect in all of baseball in their revised mid-season rankings.

quite a jump - is he for real? How long to the majors - hes real young....

He's come back to earth a little bit there, with an ERA over 6.00 and a K/9 under 9, but it's only 2 games. Looking forward to seeing how he adjusts.

he was promoted out of greensboro, but that is low A, the grasshoppers page lists him @ jupiter

Hidden

he was promoted out of greensboro, but that is low A, the grasshoppers page lists him @ jupiter

yep. my bad. apologies

This guy is the best unknown pitching prospect to me right now.

I don't know how unknown he is...he's considered a top 10 prospect by many going into next year.

He's anything but an "unknown" - 1st round pick in 2011, midseason top 25 prospect.....

He's anything but an "unknown" - 1st round pick in 2011, midseason top 25 prospect.....

Maybe he meant "unknown" to him.

Edit: Just realized this was my 5000th post..."Hall of Famer" status. :D

Any chances of this kid getting to the bigs for anything more than a cup of coffee in 2013?

(I think he was mostly unknown or not hyped compared to Bundy, Cole, Walker, etc.)

Any chances of this kid getting to the bigs for anything more than a cup of coffee in 2013?

(I think he was mostly unknown or not hyped compared to Bundy, Cole, Walker, etc.)

I wouldn't rule it out. The Marlins are going to be pretty bad this year, so I can see them bringing him up to see what he can do.

I have been reading lots of articles that share a similar sentiment

http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2013/03/10/miami-marlins-jose-fernandez-begins-fast-track-to-the-majors-with-spring-debut/

He doesn't have AA experience yet so it seems highly unlikely he would break spring training with the big club. He is only 20 years old so I would think that he would get a crack in 2015, maybe 2014 if he is lights out in AA a la Drew Smyly.

Only threw 134 innings last year, so pretty sure they will cap him in the 160 range. So maybe a Sept callup to pitch an inning or 2 this year. He should start the year in Double A though

Pretty stupid by the Marlins to bring him up this early and lose years of control, especially since he'll be pitching for a team right now that will be epically bad.

Pretty stupid by the Marlins to bring him up this early and lose years of control, especially since he'll be pitching for a team right now that will be epically bad.

Obviously plans can change, but he appears to be no more than an injury fill in right now. Its far from certain he stays up the entirer year. Also still a big of a head scratcher given his lack of upper level experience. With nothing to play for, it seems reasonable to err on the side of caution.