Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chowder35

Will Middlebrooks 3B BOS

Will Middlebrooks is raking in AAA to start the season.

.379/.406/1.148 7 HR, 22 RBI, 2 SB.

With Youkilis struggling mightily, could we see this 23 yr-old slugger called up? The power is legit. He hit 23 HR across 3 levels last year while slugging .508.

What do the masses say?

Youkilis also left yesterday's game in the 4th inning withsome sort of injury. He was hit by a pitch on the hip but he stayed in the game and scored from 2nd on a single but he was wincing noticeably as he was crossing home plate. Who knows if it was even related to the HBP, it's always something with this guy. I think the way thing are going in Boston this year Middoebrooks has a real shot to get called up this week.

Just added him. Now I wait and hope he is called up. With Youkilis injury and with middlebrook mashing in minors....add in Boston struggling ....everything seems to be in place for him being called up. Power this guy could have is sure enticing.

Last 4 games for Middlebrooks at AAA Pawtucket:

3/4 with a HR and 1 RBI

2/5 with a HR and 4 RBI

2/4 with a HR and 4 RBI

2/5 with a HR and 2 RBI

Now hitting .379 with 7 Homers and 22 RBI on the season.

When (not if) Youkilis hits the DL, this kid figures to get a good look with the big club. I really wish they'd find a way to call him up earlier (moving Youk to LF?) but it's quite a logjam in the infield, and as far as I know, Middlebrooks doesn't play any other positions (nor would they want to mess with their top prospect).

Had my eye on this kid season the season started. I just took a flier on him and hoping for the best.

The main concern is his very high K rate. He's not your usually Sox prospect that takes a lot of pitches, he's a free swinger. Hopefully he can learn to be more patient as it will help him once he hits the big leagues.

He hit another three run homer last night in the second game of the double-header.

He's up to 8 HR, 25 RBI with a .371/.413/.757 line. WOW.

1 for 2 with a triple last night. Even more positive is he took 2 BB's. He's striking out a lot less lately, but a lot of that has to do with him hitting everything out of the park. I want to see what he does when he hits a cold streak.

But overall, very impressed so far.

so what is the situation here? will he get called up soon or does he need some seasoning. maybe worth an add in a keeper league. and what happens if get called up and youk is healthy later. send down then again? or will he stay.

I am a fan of the guy, he has legit power but the big question is will he hit for a decent average and cut down on the k's. He has a nice glove at third so he truly is the thirdbaseman of the future, at least until Xander Bogarts comes up.

Another home run this afternoon, 6 in his last 8 games and 9 overall. Is he pickup worthy in a 10 team mixed keeper league? I have Beltre, Bautista, and Bonifacio that qualify at 3rd, but with his power potential I can stash him in a utility spot.

With Boston struggling and questions with their bullpen, I think they need to move Youkilis for relief pitching help and give this kid a chance. Besides 9 HRs in the minors does nothing for my fantasy team!!

I think for those expecting or wanting a call up for a full time gig are crazy.

Redsox never rush their prospects. It will take a serious injury to Agon or Youk for managment to consider brining Middlebrooks up.

Youk is not going to be traded for bullpen help. Even if sox wanted to, there probably isn't a team willing to take on his contract (final year plus buyout option).

I think for those expecting or wanting a call up for a full time gig are crazy.

Redsox never rush their prospects. It will take a serious injury to Agon or Youk for managment to consider brining Middlebrooks up.

Youk is not going to be traded for bullpen help. Even if sox wanted to, there probably isn't a team willing to take on his contract (final year plus buyout option).

I dont think that if they moved him up that would be considered "rushing him", I think hes 23 now and spent half the season at AAA last year. With his hot start I think they would bring him up with a Youk injury.

I dont think that if they moved him up that would be considered "rushing him", I think hes 23 now and spent half the season at AAA last year. With his hot start I think they would bring him up with a Youk injury.

I agree, it's probably going to take an injury to Youk, Gonzalez, or Ortiz.

Youk injury: Middlebrooks fills in at 3B

AGonz injury: Youk shifts to 1B, Middlebrooks fills in at 3B

Ortiz injury: Youk/Middlebrooks split time at DH/3B

That's how I see it anyway. As a Sox fan I don't want to see Gonzalez or Ortiz out of the lineup, and a Youkilis injury is pretty much a foregone conclusion, so I'll just wait for that.

hasn't Youk played some OF before? then playing middlebrooks at 3rd.

The progression is really nice to see, but his BB/K rate suggest that he'd be vulnerable to MLB-caliber pitching right now.

No doubt, if Youk gets hurt, or A-Gonz/Papi, then he's there ready to help - but like most rookies, an adjustment phase would be even more likely.

Given that he'd be joining a BOS lineup that still is very potent, and would play in Fenway, the reason to speculate on him in redraft leagues as lightning-in-a-WW-bottle/stash is justified - but unlike guys like Jennings or Lawrie, he's not as close to a finished product - so keep that in mind for his initial debut.

Don't get me wrong, he's done a LOT to raise his stock, and he's showing long-term his ceiling is rising, but as with most rookies with eye/contact issues, those get exploited in the Big Show. Power for sure, and loads of potential, but keep expectations in check until the eye/contact issues improve.

wouldn't we say even though it is an extremely small sample size that his eye has in fact actually gotten better this season? it seems like it has....reason for optimism anyway....

With Crawford out, why not Middlebrooks play LF?? The guy is putting up video game numbers and he's not even playing in the PCL

Why? Because BOS envisions Middlebrooks as their future 3b. He has a good glove, why stunt his defensive progress?

yeah no way they push him to outfield...

CBS reporting that Middlebrooks would have been called up if he had not injured his thumb over the weekend. Hopefully it was minor.

I don't know anything about this guy but i'm a Youk owner so I need to learn fast.

What kind of player does project to be in the majors? I see he had pretty good power numbers in AA last year and struggled when he moved to AAA.

Come on Boston... call him up... Let's see what he's got for the big stage!