Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

khabibul35

Mike Trout 2012 Season Outlook

3,325 posts in this topic

has to be soon, surely. Wells is garbage, and Hunter is average at best. Bourjos is...well, Bourjos. IMO you dump Wells (maybe see if Boston wants him for cheap?) and call the kid up.

Trout is in a really bad situation right now. The Angels have Wells ($24m), Hunter ($18.5), Abreu ($9m) and Bourjos all ahead of him. he can hit .750 in AAA and still - where are they going to put him? This has got to be one of the most poorly configured teams in the majors. Trumbo(no position), Izturis/Callapso/Aybar sharing 2 positions with Trumbo occasionally in the mix, the entire OF mess, three top of the line SP's and NO bullpen....

Unless Bourjos gets injured again, I don't know how much MLB time Trout's gets this season. Maybe if the Angels continue to flounder management will be willing to eat one of those big contracts but so far - not. If he was on any other team - he would be up already.

1 person likes this

Trout is in a really bad situation right now. The Angels have Wells ($24m), Hunter ($18.5), Abreu ($9m) and Bourjos all ahead of him. he can hit .750 in AAA and still - where are they going to put him? This has got to be one of the most poorly configured teams in the majors. Trumbo(no position), Izturis/Callapso/Aybar sharing 2 positions with Trumbo occasionally in the mix, the entire OF mess, three top of the line SP's and NO bullpen....

Unless Bourjos gets injured again, I don't know how much MLB time Trout's gets this season. Maybe if the Angels continue to flounder management will be willing to eat one of those big contracts but so far - not. If he was on any other team - he would be up already.

tbh Abreu's contract really isn't that large comparatively. Could easily eat that (or at least most of it) and bring up Trout. Agree the organization's player pool is jacked up beyond belief, but there ARE ways to get the kid some time. The Angels have enough money as an organization that they could eat one of those contracts and not even bat an eye.

tbh Abreu's contract really isn't that large comparatively. Could easily eat that (or at least most of it) and bring up Trout. Agree the organization's player pool is jacked up beyond belief, but there ARE ways to get the kid some time. The Angels have enough money as an organization that they could eat one of those contracts and not even bat an eye.

It would take more than just eating Abreu's contract. It would also mean benching a guy making $18.5 or $24.5 as well. Bringing Trout up and not giving him 5 starts per week would be a mistake, IMHO. At any rate, they have painted themselves into a corner with this situation and if we know that, certainly all the GM's in baseball know it as well. I hope for Mike's sake, something breaks loose here.

It would take more than just eating Abreu's contract. It would also mean benching a guy making $18.5 or $24.5 as well. Bringing Trout up and not giving him 5 starts per week would be a mistake, IMHO. At any rate, they have painted themselves into a corner with this situation and if we know that, certainly all the GM's in baseball know it as well. I hope for Mike's sake, something breaks loose here.

true, but does anyone honestly believe Bourjos deserves to be on the Major league Roster over Trout? Hell, throw Hunter in CF (he is still an asset defensively, if nothing else) Wells in left and Trout in right. Bourjos goes back down and learns to hit. Then next year maybe you can bring him back up after you're rid of the scourge that is Vernon Wells, and Torii Hunter (correct me if I'm wrong, pretty sure they're both on their last years, no?)

true, but does anyone honestly believe Bourjos deserves to be on the Major league Roster over Trout? Hell, throw Hunter in CF (he is still an asset defensively, if nothing else) Wells in left and Trout in right. Bourjos goes back down and learns to hit. Then next year maybe you can bring him back up after you're rid of the scourge that is Vernon Wells, and Torii Hunter (correct me if I'm wrong, pretty sure they're both on their last years, no?)

Hunter is on his last year but Wells has a ways to go on his contract.

Trout is a plus defender in CF and if they did move Bourjos (doubtful) then Trout would take over CF leaving Hunter in RF.

Hunter is on his last year but Wells has a ways to go on his contract.

Trout is a plus defender in CF and if they did move Bourjos (doubtful) then Trout would take over CF leaving Hunter in RF.

Oh, okay. I know Trout has speed, but wasn't sure if he was CF or not. And what's to stop them from moving Bourjos to AAA? the guy's hitting .200, and basically his only redeeming quality is his speed (which Trout can certainly boast as well). Unless he;s out of options, I don't see why they wouldn't seek to do a swap if for no other reason than to see if it benefits them (nota shred of doubt in my mind it would), then you have the option to try to trade bourjos later for bullpen help, or worst case scenario switch him to LF or RF and once Hunter is gone you've got your replacement.

How much is left on Abreu's contract? Is he gone after this year as well?

Oh, okay. I know Trout has speed, but wasn't sure if he was CF or not. And what's to stop them from moving Bourjos to AAA? the guy's hitting .200, and basically his only redeeming quality is his speed (which Trout can certainly boast as well). Unless he;s out of options, I don't see why they wouldn't seek to do a swap if for no other reason than to see if it benefits them (nota shred of doubt in my mind it would), then you have the option to try to trade bourjos later for bullpen help, or worst case scenario switch him to LF or RF and once Hunter is gone you've got your replacement.

How much is left on Abreu's contract? Is he gone after this year as well?

While some may consider Trout to be a plus defender in center and if you are one of those people...fine, but Bourjos is a better defender than him and he more than makes up for the limitations on the corner outfielders of Wells and Hunter. While it might make sense to swap Bourjos for Trout in hopes that Trout's bat will more than cancel out any value they are losing on the defensive end, it's just not a move I believe they will make. First of all, Trout just got hit in the wrist by a pitch last night (they say it was precautionary, but didn't they say the same thing about Lawrie last year and then it came out it was broken a few days later? I may be thinking about when he broke his pinkie though). So even if Trout is okay from that, they will be extremely careful with him. Second of all, it's still too early to give up Bourjos. He made strides at the plate last year and the Angels' offense as a whole is struggling for the most part. You also have to remember that Trout didn't exactly light the world on fire in his first call up last year. Should he be better than that? Yes, but he's still pretty young so you can't write off that he will struggle either.

I would like to see Trout get called up, but with the Indians getting Damon, Abreu isn't going anywhere until teams suffer injuries that would open the door for him to play 4 times a week. The only positive on the Trout front is that if Wells continues to struggle, that they may eat his contract and cut him. It seems unlikely, but the GM has stated multiple times that it didn't happen under his watch and wouldn't feel any great sense of lose if they cut him loose to make the team better.

While some may consider Trout to be a plus defender in center and if you are one of those people...fine, but Bourjos is a better defender than him and he more than makes up for the limitations on the corner outfielders of Wells and Hunter. While it might make sense to swap Bourjos for Trout in hopes that Trout's bat will more than cancel out any value they are losing on the defensive end, it's just not a move I believe they will make. First of all, Trout just got hit in the wrist by a pitch last night (they say it was precautionary, but didn't they say the same thing about Lawrie last year and then it came out it was broken a few days later? I may be thinking about when he broke his pinkie though). So even if Trout is okay from that, they will be extremely careful with him. Second of all, it's still too early to give up Bourjos. He made strides at the plate last year and the Angels' offense as a whole is struggling for the most part. You also have to remember that Trout didn't exactly light the world on fire in his first call up last year. Should he be better than that? Yes, but he's still pretty young so you can't write off that he will struggle either.

I would like to see Trout get called up, but with the Indians getting Damon, Abreu isn't going anywhere until teams suffer injuries that would open the door for him to play 4 times a week. The only positive on the Trout front is that if Wells continues to struggle, that they may eat his contract and cut him. It seems unlikely, but the GM has stated multiple times that it didn't happen under his watch and wouldn't feel any great sense of lose if they cut him loose to make the team better.

Hunter can still play good defense, IMO...but I digress. Ref. Bourjos, he may have made "strides", but .200 isn;t exactly encouraging, rest of the offense struggling or not. I know the guy is great defensively, but again, where do you draw the line? Having a guy with 5-10 feet of extra range in the outfield is a moot point when you can't even push a run across the plate. I guess my only real "argument" is that Trout's bat (should be) enough to warrant consideration. I know he didn;t exactly light the world on fire last year in his callup, but he did better than .200 IIRC. As far as Abreu, I gather you believe he warrants keeping/playing more than Wells? I would think that simply based on how damn much they're paying him that Wells would get to start all year while eating Abreu's contract would be nothing in comparison.

As has been said, it's incredible whne you actually look at the LAA organization, and how poorly they've managed their roster. Guess it goes to show that having essentially bottomless pockets can lead to some really, really dumb roster moves.

I thought they are keep him down to control him longer...if thats true wouldnt that be June?

Early July, to be exact. While they are a big market club where service time/money isn't a huge deal, it's still smart of them to secure another year of service time for Trout

As far as him having no spot right now, I wouldn't be so sure. Bourjos looks terrible at the plate right now and if he continues this, I wouldn't be surprised if he is sent down and Trout replaces him

Hunter can still play good defense, IMO...but I digress. Ref. Bourjos, he may have made "strides", but .200 isn;t exactly encouraging, rest of the offense struggling or not. I know the guy is great defensively, but again, where do you draw the line? Having a guy with 5-10 feet of extra range in the outfield is a moot point when you can't even push a run across the plate. I guess my only real "argument" is that Trout's bat (should be) enough to warrant consideration. I know he didn;t exactly light the world on fire last year in his callup, but he did better than .200 IIRC. As far as Abreu, I gather you believe he warrants keeping/playing more than Wells? I would think that simply based on how damn much they're paying him that Wells would get to start all year while eating Abreu's contract would be nothing in comparison.

As has been said, it's incredible whne you actually look at the LAA organization, and how poorly they've managed their roster. Guess it goes to show that having essentially bottomless pockets can lead to some really, really dumb roster moves.

Not at all actually. Wells can play a lot better defense than Abreu can at this point in his career. I think the Angels are holding out hope that Abreu can show something in his limited at bats and a team will be willing to trade for him later in the season when injuries set in and teams need a left handed bat off the bench or as a part time DH. There's no hope of that with Wells.

If Bourjos continues to struggle, Trout continues to light it up in Triple A and the Angels continue to struggle, I'm sure enough people in the organization will try to force the issue. The extra year of service time is big for a team regardless of whether they are a big or small market team. But in this case, if they feel Trout is going to make their team much better than the spackle job they currently have...then he will get called up.

1 person likes this

my 2 cents on the Angels situation:

1) cut Abreu

2) callup Trout, put him in LF and batting leadoff, move to CF vs LHP

3) Wells to the bench as 4th OF vs RHP, start in LF vs LHP, occasional start for Hunter

4) Bourjos starting CF vs RHP, bench vs LHP

5) move Aybar to the 2 spot and only bunt when Trout is on base

6) move Kendrick to the 6 spot

7) hit 100+ grounders to Trumbo at 3B pregame everyday and twice on Sundays

8) Morales at cleanup for 90% of their games

9) rotate Trumbo, Callaspo and Izturis at 3B until Trumbo is at least adaquate

A plus to the above would be to trade Abreu for bullpen but I doubt they'll find a trade partner for this to occur.

1 person likes this

Not at all actually. Wells can play a lot better defense than Abreu can at this point in his career. I think the Angels are holding out hope that Abreu can show something in his limited at bats and a team will be willing to trade for him later in the season when injuries set in and teams need a left handed bat off the bench or as a part time DH. There's no hope of that with Wells.

If Bourjos continues to struggle, Trout continues to light it up in Triple A and the Angels continue to struggle, I'm sure enough people in the organization will try to force the issue. The extra year of service time is big for a team regardless of whether they are a big or small market team. But in this case, if they feel Trout is going to make their team much better than the spackle job they currently have...then he will get called up.

agree with the entirety of this post. Sucks they got duped into Wells, but oh well. Inb4 Pooholes ends up being Wells 2.0 :P

my 2 cents on the Angels situation:

1) cut Abreu

2) callup Trout, put him in LF and batting leadoff, move to CF vs LHP

3) Wells to the bench as 4th OF vs RHP, start in LF vs LHP, occasional start for Hunter

4) Bourjos starting CF vs RHP, bench vs LHP

5) move Aybar to the 2 spot and only bunt when Trout is on base

6) move Kendrick to the 6 spot

7) hit 100+ grounders to Trumbo at 3B pregame everyday and twice on Sundays

8) Morales at cleanup for 90% of their games

9) rotate Trumbo, Callaspo and Izturis at 3B until Trumbo is at least adaquate

A plus to the above would be to trade Abreu for bullpen but I doubt they'll find a trade partner for this to occur.

Wells would be a DAMN expensive 4th outfielder. Can't really disagree with the rest. Can't necessarily agree either ;)

Absolutely Trout will get called up. End of May is my gut feeling.

The way Bourjos is hitting and the bullpen is pitching, I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see them trade Bourjos to the Nationals for one of their top CF prospects and 2 bullpen arms. This would also clear a spot for Trout, at least we hope it would. Knowing Scosia he'd probably stick Izturis out there.

The way Bourjos is hitting and the bullpen is pitching, I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see them trade Bourjos to the Nationals for one of their top CF prospects and 2 bullpen arms. This would also clear a spot for Trout, at least we hope it would. Knowing Scosia he'd probably stick Izturis out there.

Why would they do such a stupid thing when Abreu and Hunter are FA's after this year? Who's going to play in the outfield with Trout next year?

Why would they do such a stupid thing when Abreu and Hunter are FA's after this year? Who's going to play in the outfield with Trout next year?

They are in the same log jam next year. Wells is still there. They need a place for Trumbo AND Morales. Trumbo has at least shown he's half competent in LF.

Trumbo-Trout-Wells with Morales at DH looks a lot better than the line-up they are throwing out now. Then instead of Izzy and Hawkins in the Pen, they can have much better bullpen arms. Other than defense Bourjos hasn't exactly done anything great in the big leagues than his final two months last year and you should never judge a player by what he does in September.

They are in the same log jam next year. Wells is still there. They need a place for Trumbo AND Morales. Trumbo has at least shown he's half competent in LF.

Trumbo-Trout-Wells with Morales at DH looks a lot better than the line-up they are throwing out now. Then instead of Izzy and Hawkins in the Pen, they can have much better bullpen arms. Other than defense Bourjos hasn't exactly done anything great in the big leagues than his final two months last year and you should never judge a player by what he does in September.

Morales is NOT playing in the outfield. His outfield defense was always panned in the minors and now with his leg injury its just not going to happen.

Wells has been so bad that the Angels are not going to be eager to pencil him into a full-time spot in the outfield any time soon.

The outfield will likely be Trumbo/Bourjos/Trout with Wells and Morales sharing the DH Spot, and Wells taking some AB's from Trumbo in the outfield as well.(Assuming no FA/Trades, which is a strong assumption)

You can really tell how sharp someone is by how much they overrate Mark Trumbo. Funny thing is, he's so similar to Bourjos its not even funny. They both have trouble walking, they both strike out a lot, and thus their OBP leaves a lot to be desired. Trumbo has a lot more power but Bourjos has more speed. And Bourjos has way more defensive value. Bourjos is the more valuable player here, hands down, and the Angels aren't going to keep him over Mark Trumbo.

.254/.291.477 .327 wOBA

.271/.327/.438 .336 wOBA

These are their two lines from last year. They both had around 550 AB's. Can you tell me which one is which?

Gray at Razzball has boldly predicted he's in the Majors by the end of May?

Anyone want to put in their 2 cents?

Wells, Bourjos, Abreu and Hunter. Trout is a better option than all four and he is in the minors. Go figure.

1 person likes this

LF - Trout

CF - Bourjos

RF - Hunter

DH - Morales

with that lineup, i'll take Trumbo's defensive deficiencies at third base. Trumbo's offense will offset his bad defense enough to warrant playing him at 3rd every day. I can't stand Alberto Callaspo's horrific rally-killing offense.

This is the lineup i'm hoping for...

SS Aybar

2B Kendrick

1B Pujols

DH Morales

RF Hunter

3B Trumbo

LF Trout

C Iannetta

CF Bourjos

what to do with wells and abreu? who cares...let them sit on the bench for pinch hitting duties and spelling trout/bourjos/hunter when they need a day off to rest. with wells and abreu...we'd have one of the better pinch hitting benches in the league.

if the angels wanna win this year and the next and so on..., then they need to promote trout ASAP. if they wait till mid-season, then we'll have lost too many games (like we already have). at least give Trout time to develop/improve at the major league level and get better so that he'll be a huge offensive threat when we really need him later in the year and during the playoffs.

Trumbo's offense absolutely will NOT offset his deficincies on defense. The guy simply cannot play 3B(right now) and with him being a low OBP% guy, his offensive value isn't as high as it should be for a guy who can crank 30 HR's

1 person likes this