Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PhillyQ99

Ernesto Frieri 2012 Season Outlook

107 posts in this topic

Just curious about everyone's opinion on this guy. Literally no one is talking about him. My hunch is because hes presumed to be behind Andrew Cashner and maybe others in the bullpen pecking order. But he did have a great K rate last year and so far this year he has been lights out with 15 K in 8 IP. Anyone else think he has an outside shot to take the closer's job in SD at any point. Cashner is still raw and walking a batter an inning so far

Last year he was similar to Romo in that he was used as an elite ROOGY, he really struggled with his control v lefties and got hit pretty hard. This season he is just killing lefties although its a very small sample. It usually takes managers awhile to change their initial impressions of a player so while he is gold for your K/9 and ratios I think Cashner is still the man to own for saves if something happens to Street.

Call me crazy but I can see him taking the closer's role and running away with it. Provided he gets that opportunity. Never know with Scioscia.

1 person likes this

Call me crazy but I can see him taking the closer's role and running away with it. Provided he gets that opportunity. Never know with Scioscia.

Scioscia said the other day that he planned to use him late in games with the lead, which at the time inferred 7th or setup man. They've got confidence in him. I think they'd be crazy not to at least try him out considering the shape their bullpen is in right now.

Worth a speculative add In 12 teams and up IMO. They traded this guy because he had the skills, wanted him to pitch in the 8th for a while until he was ready for the job. Downs was probably a temporary closer anyway being a lefty. They could always go back to Walden, but his control is all over the place.

A little off topic, but Frieri is one of those players who demonstrates how different it is being in a league with aggressive, savvy owners. I'm in 4 leagues, all 12 teamers with just about the same settings for pitchers in all them. In the two casual leagues I grabbed Frieri as soon as Downs hurt himself. He's still only 5% owned in Yahoo leagues, so I expected him to be available or that someone might beat me by a few minutes. In my two competitive leagues, however, he was picked up as a speculative add a few days ago. That surprised me because he wasn't on my radar at all until today.

This is turning out to be a wildly frustrating and chaotic season so far. Sluggers underperforming or not performing at all. 1st round draft picks who are worse than scrubs after a full month, and lots of high-profile injuries. The closer carousel has been pure lunacy so far. Even though filling the gaps has been a challenge, this season is turning out to be a blast, and I'm learning a lot from some managers who clearly know more about FBB than I do.

4 people like this

with Latroy Hawkins possibly out for some time due to a fractured right finger...and scott downs potentially lost for the season to a torn ACL or at least a DL stint due to some sort of knee sprain, could the Angels name Frieri the closer as soon as Monday? i'm wondering if i should pick up Frieri in every league i'm in

walden has the velocity and stuff to be a closer but again, as everyone is mentioning, his command is horrific. until he can pitch his slider for strikes, i don't think he'll be the closer any time soon. every single hitter knows to look for Walden's straight-arrow fastball. and if it's a slider, just layoff since it'll be in the dirt.

I dropped downs for him... hoping he can take it and roll!

Just did the same thing. Was thinking about just dropping Downs for Walden because eventually I think he'll get the job back..but then I ran into this Frieri kid and am really liking what Im hearing about him.

I'm in same boat with most guys, trying to decide if Frieri can do something for the Angels. I really like his K/BB rate, and could be a useful guy if given the chance....

Thinking about dropping Trout for him but wanna hear some opinions?

Slow down. People need to wait and hear the status of Downs before doing anything, if that's possible. I think we're getting ahead of ourselves. Something needs to come out stating Downs is hurt and will be out for some time IMO.

NO!!!!!

Perhaps Scios stating the Frieri could get save opps might be an indication that he anticipates Downs missing some time? Thats what I'm taking from his statement.

FISH ON!!

Just one man's opinion, but Trout's upside seems more valuable than an iffy closer situation... At least get the scoop on Downs first...?

Right-handed reliever Ernesto Frieri, acquired Thursday from the San Diego Padres, pitched well in the ninth inning of Saturday's 6-2 victory over the Toronto Blue Jays and again in the seventh inning of Sunday's victory, allowing no hits and no runs while walking two batters and striking out four.

Frieri, who has been locating his 90-95 mph fastballs well, could get consideration as the closer depending on "where our bullpen settles," said Scioscia, who had to deal with Sunday's injuries to Downs and Hawkins.

"He's got a really live arm, the velocity and deception," Scioscia said. "The ball is sneaky, and he got some fastballs by some pretty good fastball hitters last night (Saturday)."

Perhaps Scios stating the Frieri could get save opps might be an indication that he anticipates Downs missing some time? Thats what I'm taking from his statement.

FISH ON!!

I jumped the gun and picked him up for downs mainly because I feel he has more typically closer stuff then Downs. Downs was only supposed to be temporary anyway, Frieri, IMO, won't be a temporary closer if he gets the jobs and succeeds early

FISH ON!!

I posted that information last night.

Here's the article: http://www.ocregister.com/sports/scioscia-352933-bourjos-sunday.html

Frieri, who has been locating his 90-95 mph fastballs well, could get consideration as the closer depending on "where our bullpen settles," said Scioscia,

I added him as well. If he does get a shot, I see him holding it ROS with his stuff. But my point was Scios naming him as a potential closer yesterday after the injuries indicates that he does anticipate Downs being down for a few, if not longer.

FISH ON!!

If Downs is only out for a few days, what happens? How serious is Downs injury? Downs is flying with the team, expected to be evaluated in Minnesota. Hawkins was evaluated yesterday when the Angels were at home. What does that tell you? I just hope people don't jump the gun and do something foolish. Downs may be out just a few days and he may be out for several months, we just don't know right now.

i dropped storen for him. storen is just wasting away on my bench.

what fun is fantasy baseball anyways if you're not always movin and shakin?