Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cavalier

Christian Yelich OF MIA

201 posts in this topic

20 year old that I've heard is one of the Top 5 pure hitting prospects in baseball. Anyone know how he's been playing this year?

Thanks, but I was kinda looking for some insight from someone who follows the minor leagues or has seen him play a few times. Just wanted to know if he's been playing 1B or if they moved him to the OF. But nevermind I found some recent info on him and he's been playing center. Batting .310/.406/.586 in 101 ABs with 8 SBs and a couple homers in a pitcher's league. I don't think it'll take him more than 2 years to see the bigs.

9 homers actually...read the stat wrong

Not the only thing you read wrong. He has played 148 minor league games, 146 in the OF and 2 at DH. Where did you come up with the 1B ?

Not the only thing you read wrong. He has played 148 minor league games, 146 in the OF and 2 at DH. Where did you come up with the 1B ?

Lol. That's what he's listed as on ESPN.

The most likely reason why ESPN lists him as a 1B, is that he was drafted as a High School first basemen. They moved him to the outfield once he started playing in their minor league system.

9 homers actually...read the stat wrong

You're still reading the wrong stats...

He has 5hr, 9 rbi, and 9 steals.

I haven't followed Yelich to much. What kind of player does this kid project to be?

In his 2 years in the minors, he's put up stats of:

2011 - 15 homers, 77 rbi's, and 32 steals with a .312 average.

2012 - 12 homers, 40 rbi's, and 20 steals with a .330 average.

Overall, he has average power and plus speed. In terms of ceiling and floor:

Ceiling - The power develops as it is supposed to as players mature and he becomes a complete player with his speed and ends up being consistent and producing every year. I'd say 20/30 hitter with a .300+ average.

Floor - The power either doesn't develop or does develop but takes away the speed from his game. Without the speed, he just becomes another 1B, but speed comes from very few players there, so losing that aspect knocks his pedigree down. There's also always the high chance with minor league players that they struggle to adapt to major league pitching. I'd say 10/15 with a low average of .250 or so.

I believe he will fall more into a 15/20 type of player that is very valuable in leagues. As for his average? That al depends on his adjustments. A lot of top prospects have high averages in the minors (that's what makes them noteworthy), so it'll either stick around .300 or maybe drop to around .280ish depending on majors pitching.

Also, in terms of when he comes up, I'm thinking the ETA is maybe September this year or mid-season 2014, assuming he doesn't have a drop off.

1 person likes this

Given Miami's firesale this offseason, there's a decent chance he plays a significant number of games with the fish this year. If not, next year at the latest. He profiles as a plus power hitter for average with speed.

I haven't followed Yelich to much. What kind of player does this kid project to be?

Without the speed, he just becomes another 1B,

Apparently he might stick in CF, so a move to 1B in the near future is unlikely. I think it's reasonable to think he'll put up numbers similar to Choo's best years for fantasy purposes, with a chance to be better.

profiles a lot like john olerud......

In his 2 years in the minors, he's put up stats of:

2011 - 15 homers, 77 rbi's, and 32 steals with a .312 average.

2012 - 12 homers, 40 rbi's, and 20 steals with a .330 average.

Overall, he has average power and plus speed. In terms of ceiling and floor:

Ceiling - The power develops as it is supposed to as players mature and he becomes a complete player with his speed and ends up being consistent and producing every year. I'd say 20/30 hitter with a .300+ average.

Floor - The power either doesn't develop or does develop but takes away the speed from his game. Without the speed, he just becomes another 1B, but speed comes from very few players there, so losing that aspect knocks his pedigree down. There's also always the high chance with minor league players that they struggle to adapt to major league pitching. I'd say 10/15 with a low average of .250 or so.

I believe he will fall more into a 15/20 type of player that is very valuable in leagues. As for his average? That al depends on his adjustments. A lot of top prospects have high averages in the minors (that's what makes them noteworthy), so it'll either stick around .300 or maybe drop to around .280ish depending on majors pitching.

Also, in terms of when he comes up, I'm thinking the ETA is maybe September this year or mid-season 2014, assuming he doesn't have a drop off.

Any chance this kid makes the team?

Any chance this kid makes the team?

This year? Maybe. He was reassigned to minor league camp a week ago. I expect he'll be in AA for most of the year.

This is Loria's team. Whatever is cheapest, will be. Really kills me that this is what the Expos franchise has devolved to.

Translation = no incentive to call him up before July 2013 to delay service time. The longer we see him sit after July - the more likely they could do the exact same routine....for 2014 (3 month delay).

This kid should be playing everyday for the Marlins. He tore up spring training this year. Lets hope he gets called up soon.

This is Loria's team. Whatever is cheapest, will be. Really kills me that this is what the Expos franchise has devolved to.

O_o...the Marlins were an expansion team...the Expos became the Nationals, and it may just be me, but I think that franchise is doing a pretty decent job.

O_o...the Marlins were an expansion team...the Expos became the Nationals, and it may just be me, but I think that franchise is doing a pretty decent job.

The Nats don't have the same owner that the Expos had though. THAT'S what the Expos and the current Marlins have in common: Loria

The Nats don't have the same owner that the Expos had though. THAT'S what the Expos and the current Marlins have in common: Loria

Thx for correction - brain cramped that Loria got another franchise.... and yes the Loria connection is the common thread.....

Back to Yelich - given the Loria ownership, hard to see anything but the cheapest method for service time manipulation being used here, since the likelihood they can get marquee FA's is right about nil after last year, and they clearly have not put competing as a priority (yes it sounds severe, but if the shoe fits....).