Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Posting In The Clutch

Matt Davidson - 3B CHW

There is a lot of hype around Nolan Arenado, Anthony Rendon, and Will Middlebrooks, but no one seems to pay much attention to Matt Davidson, a first round pick out of high school in 2009.

BA has had him ranked as a top 100 prospect for the last 2 years. Last season in Advanced-A, he split time at first base and third base and posted a line of .277/.348/.465. As a 20 year old, he hit 20 HRs, 39 doubles, drove in 106 runs, and scored 93 runs in 606 PAs.

This year in AA as a 21-year old, his line is .309/.430/.545 in 123 ABs. He's hit 6 HRs, 11 doubles, driven in 19 runs, and scored 23 runs. Perhaps most significant is his BB/K ratio. In 2009, it was 55/134. In 2010, it was 52/147. This year it stands at 24/27.

He's played every game at 3B so far. If he can stick at 3B, he could have a lot of value in the very near future.

The D-Backs had Goldschmidt skip AAA last year and I would assume Bauer and Skaggs will also skip AAA this year. Why not Davidson as well? Ryan Roberts has been horrible, and Cody Ransom is a 36-year old journeyman who will not come close to sustaining what he's doing right now.

he's one of the more interesting prospects b/c even though he's gotten hype before, he is still behind some of the other 3B prospects. His potential is sky high if he reaches it. I always thought he'd be a Mark Reynolds type player (sans the SB's) but the most encouraging part now is the cut down on K's. Also, I've heard while he's not playing great 3B, he's playing good enough where he might stay there.

I don't know if I'm ready to say he's "better" than Arenado but for a guy that is most likely available in keeper leagues, he's someone that should be nabbed ASAP.

Good find...

2 HRs in his last game, up to 8 on the year.

.318/.434/.583 in AA

Same age as Arenado. Same level. Better.

I wouldn't say he's better than Arenado. Too early to say that.

I wouldn't say he's better than Arenado. Too early to say that.

Most teams like more than 1 HR from there 3B'man.

ETA?

Most likely 2014. But you never know. The D-Backs had Goldschmidt skip AAA and will likely do the same with Bauer and Skaggs. And they do need a third baseman who can hit his own weight right now.

There is a chance he gets called up this year - before September.

Not on the 40 man roster. Won't see him this year unless he hits outta his mind or a slew of injuries

I think 2014 is conservative. I don't see any reason he won't either get a chance at a job in ST 2013 or get a callup for good midseason.

I agree that you won't see him this season.

So Josh Bell is hitting decent in AAA. Is that going to be an obstacle for Davidson or simply a speed bump as Bell has never shown that he can put it all together.

So what do we think about young Matt Davidson? He is doing well in AAA now batting .313 with 3 bombs through 10 games. Ultimately I would like to have an idea of if he will be up by midseason because I am thinking about picking him up and stashing him. Aaron Hill is out 4-6 weeks so Prado should be playing there for awhile. Eric Chavez has been doing absolutely nothing for them at 3B so far and I dont expect him to. The Dbacks arnt real stable at SS either with Pennington and Gregorious so Prado could always move to SS when Hill comes back. I dont see any clear obstacles for Davidson. He has already been in the minors for almost 5 years. I think his time should be soon. Anybody else have any ideas or speculation if he will be up some time this season?

Another 3 hits yesterday. Now hitting .341. Hes always had the power but its good to see him hitting for avg. in his first season in AAA. I really hope they bring this kid up this year.

Another 3 hits yesterday. Now hitting .341. Hes always had the power but its good to see him hitting for avg. in his first season in AAA. I really hope they bring this kid up this year.

Really starting to struggle now over the past two weeks. Down to .259/.333/.383, despite a .383 BABIP. 34% K rate. Guy did have 3 hits yesterday, but he's going to need to start producing more consistently if he wants to get the call up.

With Eric Chavez hurting and there being no timetable for Aaron Hill's comeback, when will this guy get a shot??

Hard to say there is with prado at 3B.. I really like davidson but he might be stuck in the minors for a while. The only option right now would be him taking over 2B, but i highly doubt that happens.

Hard to say there is with prado at 3B.. I really like davidson but he might be stuck in the minors for a while. The only option right now would be him taking over 2B, but i highly doubt that happens.

They have been using Prado at 2B with Chavez at 3B, why couldn't they call up Davidson to take Chavez's spot?

They have been using Prado at 2B with Chavez at 3B, why couldn't they call up Davidson to take Chavez's spot?

They will just slide Prado to 3B full time and put Pennington at 2B for the time being. I think Davidson will be a good player one day, but the Prado contract really delays his ETA

Davidson heating up at the right time. Has 7 hits in his last 3 games 2 doubles a bomb & 4 RBIs. AVG. at .300 right now. Obviously he likes June.

Whats everyones updated thoughts on Davidson?

Current line in the minors: .294 BA / 26 doubles / 16 homers / 107 K's in 96 games.

Was hoping to see a bit more homers since he's playing the PCL this year and is k'ing a bit more than expected but overall line is solid. He's made major strides on defense so it looks like he'll stick at 3b.

I like the fact this kid seems to shine when the lights get brighter. I remember reading he won the league finals MVP last year. This year he won his league's homerun derby and was the futures game MVP.

Also, anyone know why he hasn't played the last 3 games? Injured or being held out for a potential trade? I tried searching for news on the web but couldn't find anything about the recent absence.

Whats everyones updated thoughts on Davidson?

Current line in the minors: .294 BA / 26 doubles / 16 homers / 107 K's in 96 games.

Was hoping to see a bit more homers since he's playing the PCL this year and is k'ing a bit more than expected but overall line is solid. He's made major strides on defense so it looks like he'll stick at 3b.

I like the fact this kid seems to shine when the lights get brighter. I remember reading he won the league finals MVP last year. This year he won his league's homerun derby and was the futures game MVP.

Also, anyone know why he hasn't played the last 3 games? Injured or being held out for a potential trade? I tried searching for news on the web but couldn't find anything about the recent absence.

Matt's grandfather passed. He is with family.

All I know is I'd heard this guy's name tossed around on these boards and other prospect lists.

Last night Skaggs pitched for Reno here in OKC so I checked it out.

On a sharp bouncing ground ball, Davidson seemed indecisive. He backpedaled a step or two, then sort of stabbed at the ball with his glove, but it deflected off of his thigh and continued into left field. I turned to my brother and said "he didn't even get glove on that."

He was charged with an error on that play. I understand errors happen, but I have to wonder how much his defense could limit his potential at this point. He's still young and can improve.

His bat is his main value I understand.