Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FouLLine

Javier Baez - SS CHC

This kid's power/bat speed is unreal. Gonna be a stud, mark my words.

Things Javier Baez has homered over so far: Kane County videoboard, KC batters eye, both Beloit scoreboards.

I want to make a tumblr called "Thing Javier Baez has homered over" now :D

Got a chance to see him in person in Peoria. Wow. Kid is a natural hitter. Definitely got a little of Sheffield in his swing. Fun to watch. He's very aggressive at the plate, but the patience should come with age.

Between Castro, Rizzo, and Baez the Cubs should have a pretty awesome infield for years. I would imagine Baez will move to third if he can't cut it at short.

The word for a long time (was)... Marco Hernandez is viewed as the potential SS of the future for the Cubs, with Castro sliding to 3rd. That has been mentioned a few times. I admittedly am unsure how Hernandez is doing, but I know they like his glove a lot.

People figure it'll be a matter of time before Baez outgrows his position. 3B and the OF were mentioned as the two most likely slots for him to slide. Junior Lake was another guy that could have possibly slid into SS discussion, but he will likely outgrow SS as well. Castro and Lake are friends, and Castro had joked that he could be the one to force him to another position. I'm pretty sure it's just a joke...

This being said, Hernandez was only 19 heading into this season. Another thing to note-- while Baez started in extended spring training, the 19-year-old Hernandez started at Peoria Class A. Something to think about. Now Baez is the superior prospect, that goes without saying- but there may have definitely been some attitude issues early in the year that were mentioned on page 1.

Another interesting thing is all estimates have Hernandez arriving in the MLB around 2014-15, right when everyone anticipates the Cubs will be competing again. He'd be around 22, Castro 25 I think. By then the Cubs will have either done something with Castro or will know where he's going to play.

3B Baez, SS Hernandez, 2B Castro, 1B Rizzo? Junior Lake..? I question where Castro fits in sometimes. I do hope he sticks with the org, but it becomes more evident as to why they may be willing to move him now.

I know they were very high on Marco Hernandez (not to hijack the Baez thread).... and he is probably going to be the best fielding SS out of the bunch.

Not to hijack the Javier Baez thread. but I just wanted to chime in on the subject of position players for the Cubs potentially moving around the diamond.

--

I really am happy to see all of the news on Baez.... when he was picked, I (and many others) were upset to see Lindor go one pick (I think one pick..) before Baez.

Things Javier Baez has homered over: Kane County videoboard, KC batters eye, both Beloit scoreboards.

Agreed. He definitely passes the eye test.

My brother actually ripped a hole through the KC batters eye taking bp the other day.

Who's your brother, so we can keep an eye on him?

Things Javier Baez has homered over: Kane County videoboard, KC batters eye, both Beloit scoreboards.

Agreed. He definitely passes the eye test.

My brother actually ripped a hole through the KC batters eye taking bp the other day.

Who's your brother, so we can keep an eye on him?

Zach Borenstein

Kid is definitely a stud. His ceiling is crazy high. One of the only good things Jim Hendry did for that organization in the last few years was drafting Baez.

Kid is definitely a stud. His ceiling is crazy high. One of the only good things Jim Hendry did for that organization in the last few years was drafting Baez.

Jim Hendry had almost nothing to do with the draft the last couple years. It was really all Tim Wilken.

Kid has otherworldly bat speed. Through 2 ABs tonight he's hit a HR(9) and a 2B which boosts his OPS to just over 1.000.

When he gets the call what position is he going to play?

He will probably end up at 3rd.

When he gets the call what position is he going to play?

It won't matter. You're going to want the bat.

Goldstein's midseason top 50 has Baez in at #15. The kid just keeps raking and he's starting to take more walks as well. He's also performing better at SS then many thought he would. Now scouts are saying there's at least a decent chance he sticks at SS. If he gets promoted to Daytona soon and continues there, I wont be at all surprised if he finishes top 10.

It also sounds like people are growing more and more confident in his ability to stick at SS. I wont be shocked if he finishes the year as a top 10 prospect in the game.

It also sounds like people are growing more and more confident in his ability to stick at SS. I wont be shocked if he finishes the year as a top 10 prospect in the game.

I like Baez a lot but no way he makes it into the top 10 with all the talent in the minors right now.

Goldstein already had Baez at 15 in his midseason top 50. If Baez continues to rake at A+ I don't see why he couldn't creep up a bit.

Goldstein already had Baez at 15 in his midseason top 50. If Baez continues to rake at A+ I don't see why he couldn't creep up a bit.

Just a heads up, Goldstein in particular has a ton of movement from his midseason top 50 to his top 100 after the season. Last year he had L. Martin as #35 mid season and I don't know if he even made his post-season top 100.

I put the chances of Baez being top 100 at < 5%.

I'll take that bet.

Meant top 10, not top 100. He'll definitely be top 30 or so.

Thought I'd bump this thread - Baez's stats for the Cubs this Spring:

17 G 47 AB

AVG .298 OBP .313 SLG .596

4 HR 10 RBI 2 2B 1 SB

Baez will start the year in AA with Soler, definitely will be keeping track of his progression this season.

17 G 47 AB

4 HR 10 RBI 2 2B 1 SB

Baez will start the year in AA with Soler, definitely will be keeping track of his progression this season.

He hit .188 in 80 AB's last year in High A and now they are going to jump him to AA. Stupid

17 G 47 AB

4 HR 10 RBI 2 2B 1 SB

He hit .188 in 80 AB's last year in High A and now they are going to jump him to AA. Stupid

FWIW he was much better in the AFL - which seems to correspond with high-A/AA talent. I suspect it's partly why they are being aggessive here. Without that success, I suspect they wouldn't have advanced him (I think he needs 1.5 - 2 seasons minimum FWIW).

http://chicago.sbnation.com/chicago-cubs/2012/10/26/3561276/chicago-cubs-javier-baez-afl

What are the odds Baez makes it up this year? If he starts in AA, is a September call up the likely result this year?

What are the odds Baez makes it up this year? If he starts in AA, is a September call up the likely result this year?

Slim to none - he won't be up for the next few years, unless they decide to change him to a 3rd baseman or they trade Castro.

Epstein has said to want prospects to have 500+ AB in AAA. He'll be up in 2014 or 2015.