Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FouLLine

Javier Baez - SS CHC

After a really poor first month or so Baez is rebounding nicely. He's 5/5 so far tonight with 3 2B and his 9th HR pushing his OPS up to .840. He and Soler both seem likely to see AA in the not to distant future.

2 HR so far tonight brings him up to 11 on the year and an .872 OPS. Even if he can't stick at SS that bat is going to be able to play anywhere.

What are the chances he stays at SS? With the Cubs drafting Kris Byrant, it seems 3B would be out of the question. Would be a waste if he gets moved to the OF. Starlin Castro trade?

What are the chances he stays at SS? With the Cubs drafting Kris Byrant, it seems 3B would be out of the question. Would be a waste if he gets moved to the OF. Starlin Castro trade?

2B is most likely. An infield of Rizzo, Baez, Castro and Bryant sounds rather nice.

2B is most likely. An infield of Rizzo, Baez, Castro and Bryant sounds rather nice.

I have always thought Castro would be a great CF. He is too careless in the infield. Maybe they move him soon if the errors keep piling up...

Make it 4 HRs tonight and 13 on the year.

EDIT: Just noticed he made his 26th error of the night. Yikes! That bat is for real though

EDIT: Just noticed he made his 26th error of the night. Yikes! That bat is for real though

I'm not going to defend Baez too much, but his 1B Geiger is just atrocious defensively. Give him a remotely capable 1B and you probably remove at least half a dozen of those. Even so, he's not going to stick at SS, but 3B/2B are still likely.

5th highest OPS in the FSL now. Not bad for a guy who is likely to be able to stick up the middle. AA is imminent.

EDIT: 26th error of the night. Yikes!

Yikes is right. That's a lot of errors for one night!!

What's really encouraging is that strikeout rate drop the past month.

My guess if Castro doesn't get traded, Baez goes to outfield. Alcantara is my bet to replace Barney at second. You'll see him on lots of top 100 prospect lists after the season.

He has big-time bat speed, but I think he is going to be in for a huge adjustment when he gets to the majors. He has 25 BBs in 589 minor league PAs. Having read scouting reports on him, the dude swings at everything. It will be interesting to see how he adjusts as he reaches AA and higher. Guys like Baez, who really like to swing it, will continually be tested as they face more advanced pitching.

Just another HR for Baez. That gives him 16 and ties him for the league lead with recently promoted Miguel Sano. Even better news is that he's taking a lot more walks lately.

This kid is a beast...So excited for the Cubs future.

Promoted to AA.

If he does well in AA, he might have a shot at making the team out of Spring Training. I hope the Cubs call him up at some point next year.

can't believe this guy plays SS. I'm in love.