Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BIG SKI

Carlos Martinez SP STL

Sorry guys but could not find a thread on him. Off to a good start to the year till good ole shoulder tendinitis has shut him down. Max effort may be his downfall, and may lead to a trip to the bullpen down the road. Not that many 160 lbs guys that throw 95 plus that can withstand the workload of a starter.

Promoted to AA Springfield.

That would be strange since he's been on the DL since the 14th, and still is.

Promoted to AA Springfield.

That would be strange since he's been on the DL since the 14th, and still is.

Hes been promoted if you would of bothered to look it up. Cards wanted him to go ahead and get familiar with his surroundings at AA and he will pitch there when he gets healthy.

6IP 2H, 2BB, 1ER, 3K tonight. Holding his own in AA with a 2.30 ERA and 1.11 WHIP. Only 1 HR allowed in over 60IP. He has been falling in some updated prospect rankings, I still think this guy has ace upside. What does everyone else think?

Ace upside or an elite closer. I'm beginning to think he'll end up in the bullpen.

Why do you think that? He has been able to pitch 6IP in most starts and Cardinals don't exactly have a rotation filled with young guys projected out long term. Its a pretty veteran based staff, Westbrook is going to be 35, Lohse 34 at the end of the season. I guess they have Garcia, Lance Lynn, Wainwright is 30, I'm not sold on Joe Kelly yet. I don't see why they would move him to closer, especially when they figure to have Motte in that role for a very long time.

Small frame and bad mechanics....scouts aren't sure if he can keep it up over the long haul.

add to that the fact that he's already been on the DL a handful of times in his short minor league stint....and there definitely is some worry there.

I'd love to see him be a starter, but I also have my doubts.

Definitely excited about the idea of a rotation that consists of waino, miller, lynn, Martinez, and rosenthal. That's in a perfect world tho.

Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch speculated Monday that the Cardinals might call up Carlos Martinez.

Martinez missed spring training because of visa trouble but has been fast-tracked to Double-A Springfield and could be added to the battered St. Louis bullpen at some point soon if he shows positive signs on the farm. The 21-year-old right-hander has a nasty arsenal of pitches, including an upper-90s fastball, and would likely do well in a setup role. He is ultimately expected to be a starter.

Source: InsideSTL.com

he's still a top 50 prospect isn't he?

Is he on yahoo? I see a marlins rp same name ...

Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch speculated Monday that the Cardinals might call up Carlos Martinez.

Martinez missed spring training because of visa trouble but has been fast-tracked to Double-A Springfield and could be added to the battered St. Louis bullpen at some point soon if he shows positive signs on the farm. The 21-year-old right-hander has a nasty arsenal of pitches, including an upper-90s fastball, and would likely do well in a setup role. He is ultimately expected to be a starter.

Source: InsideSTL.com

he's still a top 50 prospect isn't he?

yes. Most would have him in the 30-40 range, but he's in the discussion for sure.

Almost makes you wonder if the organization is beginning to think his future may be in the pen anyway, and so why wait on making the move if this guy can help them get outs now?

That was the one knock I consistently saw on his prospect profile - concerns about injury / ability to hold up in the rotation due to size and mechanics.

They didn't really hesitate that long in moving Rosenthal to the bullpen... so if there's a chance Martinez could help solidify a pretty shaky group... why not?

Is Martinez poised to join the starting rotation in the near future? I read on CBS that they sent him down in order to convert him to a full-time starter. I assume they want him to join the rotation either this year or next, but there has been speculation that he could be used as a closer. I don't see how that would work though, considering they have Rosenthal and Mujica still at the back of the pen.

Yes. Martinez and Wacha have been in the minors and had their innings limited so they will be fresh in September and October. It would not be a surprise to see Carlos Martinez in the starting rotation in the 2nd half of the season.

I'd actually be disappointed if he weren't called up before August or right at the start

all signs point to him coming up soon, with Kelly going back to the pen. Wacha is being rested as more of insurance for playoffs I guess.

Martinez doing very well in AAA, Kelly not so much in the rotation. Kelly was good in the pen, Martinez top prospect. Wacha pitched pretty well and is being rested in AAA in case they need his innings later. RW writers have said that Martinez would likely get the call over Wacha. Obviously this is still just speculation.