Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Finally Detroit Wins

How Do People Get Front Office Jobs For Nba Teams?

This has been a question that I have been pondering for a year or two now. Google hasn't been much help either, but I found out a degree in Sports Management is a step in the right direction. Anyone know?

Seems like a lot of executives are former players. I'd guess those that aren't start as interns/low-level employees and work their way up similar to what you would have to do in the business world in most instances. Hard to come out of college as a top-level executive.

I would think scouting would be the best way to try to break into that line of work (assuming your aspiration are to one day be the GM of a club)

As for getting that start, I have no idea. Might take an unpaid internship just to get a foot in the door.

I know in the NFL, there are internships offered which is essentially where most people get their foot in the door. When I was coaching, one of our guys got a 6 week internship with the Lions for training camp etc. Those internships can turn into longer term internships, quality control jobs, administrative front office jobs etc. From there its just getting your foot in the door and staying in the building.