Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All Knowing

Darren Sproles 2012 Season Outlook

437 posts in this topic

Where u see the all purpose yardage leader going in re-drafts this year?

i'm guessing he'd be a steal around early round 4.

Still would only prefer to have him as an RB2 at best. I'm not in a return yard league. In that kind of league, whole different story.

Man, I wish he was RB/WR eligible like Dexter McCluster, haha.

Personally, I dont like having guys like Best and Sproles on my team since they usually depend on receiving yards and TDs. They rarely go over 80 yards rushing and aren't worth the headache if they cant get break a few tackles after catching the ball. I'd rather someone else waste their draft pick on him, but that's just my take on him.

Had him last year in a .5 ppr league. I kept waiting for him to come back down to earth all season, and it never really happened.

And every time I watched him, he showed me why it wasn't as fluky as I thought at first. I've never seen a player look that explosive so late in the season, after that many touches.

Love this guy. Will reach to have him as my RB2.

I'd love this guy as my RB2 in my ppr league. Even if he doesn't get a bunch of carries in a particular game you know he'll have at least 10+ points simply from receiving #s.

wouldn't mind him as my RB1 in a 12/14 teamer if i end up waiting on RB

always been a great player, finally getting the touches

Absolutely an RB2. Anyone complaining about lack of TDs need to realize that's what separates him from being a RB1. If he can find the endzone even 8 or 9 times, he will carry low-end RB1 #'s.

No one complained about TDs, I would just rather my RBs be running backs and not receiving backs. I think of him as a bye week fill-in or flex player unless of course its a PPR.

No one complained about TDs, I would just rather my RBs be running backs and not receiving backs. I think of him as a bye week fill-in or flex player unless of course its a PPR.

Yeah, most of my leagues are non-PPR (though I did win my first PPR/return yards league last season, just have to understand the rules like anything else), so Sproles value isn't as appealing to me.

You'd better believe that I was offering everything under the sun to the guy that had Sproles in that PPR/return yards league, last season.

wouldn't mind him as my RB1 in a 12/14 teamer if i end up waiting on RB

always been a great player, finally getting the touches

A guy did that last year in my league and it worked out somewhat favorably for him, we were all quite surprised. However, it wasn't a PPR league, so not quite as effective a move as it might have been otherwise.

Even in a PPR league do you think he will be on the field as much without Sean Payton? We all know how he plays and with the Brees dilemma do any of you think we see more running or more Ingram/PT? Just a thought. Still love him in PPR leagues.

He's an awesome weapon for Brees, that's the truth. They're going to let him see as much playing time as he can. There's no way they'd pull back on his use after his performance this past season.

Question, anyone know where I could find some stats for how often Sproles was used to pass-block for Brees last season?

Question, anyone know where I could find some stats for how often Sproles was used to pass-block for Brees last season?

PFF just did an article on pass protection:

http://www.profootba...-running-backs/

Sproles wasn't in the Top-10 or Bottom-10. Not sure if that helps.

Edit: Here's another article that shows Sproles is a proficient route runner for an RB. Not sure if that is related (probably isn't.)

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/11/three-years-of-yards-per-route-run-running-backs/

Yeah, I'm more looking for the volume statistic (the amount of times he was actually used to protect) as opposed to his efficiency as a blocker.

I'm going to guess that he wasn't used very frequently as a true pass-blocker, more as a chip-and-release blocker.

Sproles is an interesting case considering last season he had a short offseason to get ready on the Saints roster and still tore things up. Even with coaches missing he is going to have a better handle on the playbook which didn't appear to hamper him at all last season.

In my 10-team jellybeans league, which is 6-PPTD 1-PPR and 0.04 PPRY, I have Sproles projected 5th among RBs with 291 fantasy points, a 102 VBD which gives him a $200-auction value of $48.8, 7th highest overall in the league. Just in case someone wanted to know how high I'd rank him in return yardage leagues (I'm sure you were all on the edge of your seats for my opinion.)

The thing I love most about Sproles is that he never misses time. You know exactly what you're going to get from him. A really high floor as he's going to be in there for every 3rd down the Saints have at least - and the 2 minute drills. And that's the minimum - Ingram has to be absurdly good to keep him off the field for 1st and 2nd downs.

I agree with the majority though that he's an RB2 in late 3rd/early 4th, I think he's a great target for owners of RB1s who carry risk like Jamaal Charles or Run DMC.

1 person likes this

In every PPR mock that I have done (easily approach 50, perhaps approach 100), he has gone within 2 1/2 rounds. The guy is slump-proof in PPR as long as he's a Saint. In return yardage leagues (like mine), he's a low-end RB1

if in fact you are in a full 1pt ppr league then he's a tail end first round pick....period. The guy finished as the 2nd ranked rb behind only R. Rice. As has been mentioned already; there is no indication he will not be even better in his second year as a Saint and first with a full training camp. I'll take him GLADLY as my RB1 in PPR.

Am I crazy being more than happy to snag Sproles as my RB2 in my non-PPR league though? I just love a guy who has solidified such a significant role in such a high-octane offense. Even with NO probably for a down yr, isn't it possible Brees could depend on Sproles more than ever if they struggle? He's a quick outlet for Brees. It's always tough for me cuz Bradshaw is usually waiting there in the 3rd and 4th rounds too.

1 person likes this

Am I crazy being more than happy to snag Sproles as my RB2 in my non-PPR league though? I just love a guy who has solidified such a significant role in such a high-octane offense. Even with NO probably for a down yr, isn't it possible Brees could depend on Sproles more than ever if they struggle? He's a quick outlet for Brees. It's always tough for me cuz Bradshaw is usually waiting there in the 3rd and 4th rounds too.

No, I'm very high on him again this year. He's built for that offense. Ingram dealing with the injury/recovery as well. I think he has a similar season to last year.

1 person likes this

He seemed very boom-or-bust last year to me. Mind you it was mostly boom. But I would be afraid to watch him because he did nothing until about the 3rd/4th quarter when he would finally get a catch and it would happen to be a 20yd TD or something. I'd be a bit hesistant if he doesn't get as fortunate this year.

No, I'm very high on him again this year. He's built for that offense. Ingram dealing with the injury/recovery as well. I think he has a similar season to last year.

Yes he's a perfect fit.

Ingram cannot stay off the shelf and while P. Thomas racked up 50 rec last season (many forget this) the coaching staff thinks he has a glass jaw as well. Sproles is tough, they're going to use him a ton, again.