Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rollobobo

Jorge Soler - OF CHC

253 posts in this topic

So he was officially declared a free agent today. He's been linked to the Cubs through out most of Spring Training. Anyone have any insight or feelings on where he may sign?

I feel like the Cubs are probably the favorite to sign him. Theo really likes him and it was rumored they like Soler more then Cespedes.

From MLBTRadeRumors:

"The Indians, Red Sox, Phillies, Yankees, Marlins, Blue Jays, and Astros are said to have interest in Soler, and I'm sure many other clubs will get involved as well. Back in March we heard bogus reports that the Cubs had agreed to a contract with the outfielder. Two GMs speculated that the bidding would exceed five years and $15-20MM back in February."

Oh, nevermind, question answered above. We shouldn't expect to see him until next year the earliest right?

Is he better than Cespedes?

Personally, I think I'd rather have Soler...Big kid, massive power potential.

That description also describes Cespedes :)

Who know

Well, he's about 6 years younger so he'll have a chance to actually develop through a teams farm system. Cespedes, at his age, had to play in the bigs now for any team to get any value out of him. He has more potential due to the fact that he's much younger and has room for growth

1 person likes this

That description also describes Cespedes :)

Yeah, I guess you're right. :lol:

I play in a dynasty, and am dominating this year, so the fact that he is 6-7 years younger probably adds to my preference of Soler. Soler also could fill out even more. I think they are both great options to have.

Everything I see, which obviously isn't a lot, says he'd be 2-3 years away. I think theo gets this done (if he hasn't already).

Here's the latest...

Cuban outfielder Jorge Soler's agents have asked teams to submit bids for their client by June 7.

Soler, 20, received interest from multiple teams this offseason, but had his free agency delayed due to residency issues in the Dominican Republic. Now that he's been granted free agency by MLB, he's expected to make a decision shortly on his future. Soler is expected to be seeking a deal in the range of Yoenis Cespedes' four-year, $36 million contract, though $25-$35 million seems more realistic. The Cubs and Red Sox are considered the favorites to sign him, though the Orioles, Astros, Phillies, White Sox and Indians have all been previously linked as landing spots.

You don't pay a guy 30 million dollars to play in the minors. Unless there is some sort of clause in the contract that says he starts getting the big money when he gets called up to MLB, than I think it stands to reason we will see him in the majors sooner than later. Would be a great steal in keeper leagues. I just wish Cbssports would add him.

Latest:

The Cubs were among those that attended Cuban outfielder Jorge Soler's workout Wednesday.

No surprise there, as many are viewing the Cubs as the team to beat for the 20-year-old. The Red Sox, Pirates, Orioles, Phillies, and White Sox have all been linked as possible landing spots, as well. Soler's agents have asked teams to submit bids for their client by June 7, though it's not clear when he'll make a decision.

I'd find it hard to believe if he did not take the highest offer. Cubs have had a jones for him for a couple years, and will offer the 30+ mil it will take

Buster Olney of ESPN.com reports that the Cubs, Yankees, Braves and Dodgers have been the most aggressive in bidding on Cuban outfielder Jorge Soler.

The first round of bids for the Cuban defector were submitted earlier this week, and the second round of bids are due this weekend. Soler is expected to receive at least $25 million and should make a decision before long. The Red Sox, Pirates, Orioles, Phillies, and White Sox have also been mentioned as possible landing spots.

Awesome to see the dodgers in the mix! McCourt reign of terror is really over!

I know very little about this guy... hes a big power guy I hear. Does he offer anything else? Any thoughts on how long it would take him to get to the majors after he signs?

Soler is considered to have five-tool potential. At 6'3" and 200 pounds, Soler likely projects as a right fielder with considerable power, a strong accurate throwing arm, and speed to burn on the basepaths.

I got the above from bleacher reports. I also read from somewhere else that it will probably take a couple of years for the kid to arrive in the bigs.

Awesome to see the dodgers in the mix! McCourt reign of terror is really over!

Yeah, I figured with new ownership and the glaring hole in LF, they'd likely make a bid.

I am thrilled the Braves are at least involved in this... Lately they've been allocating a lot of their resources to international signings as opposed to the draft. Considering the dearth of impact bats in their system, this would be a huge signing for me, and Chipper's pending retirement has Prado heading back to 3B and a nice-sized hole Soler could fill in late 2013 or 2014.

Make it happen Frank Wren!

Tweet from the Braves beat writer:

@ajcbraves: Interest legit, I'm told by someone on periphery. Agent, team tight-lipped RT @Scott_St_Lifer: @ajcbraves How serious are #Braves for Soler?

Yankees may lose Cuban player Soler to Cubs

Though the Yankees have an interest in Cuban Jorge Soler, sources suggest the Cubs will land the 20-year-old outfielder, who was recently declared a free agent.

“They have spent a lot of time with him,’’ the source said of the Cubs. The Pirates also have been linked to Soler.

Soler, who projects as a right fielder, has some scouts believing he is a better investment than the four-year, $36 million the A’s gave Yoenis Cespedes, who will be 27 in October.

Soler’s agents want bids submitted Thursday, and the terms floating around baseball Wednesday were four years at $20 million.

If recent history repeats, the Yankees won’t outbid all the other teams. They didn’t win the bidding process for Yu Darvish last year and didn’t get in the game for C.J. Wilson or Cespedes.

And with an eye toward 2014 when Hal Steinbrenner has vowed to keep the payroll below $189 million to avoid a major bill, a contract beyond 2013 may not fit the Yankees’ budget.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/ ... z1xLEOPL12

He's making his decision today. This is a must have Theo, don't fail me.

1 person likes this

Latest...

George A. King III and Mike Puma of the New York Post report that Cuban outfielder Jorge Soler is expected to sign a four-year deal with someone before Monday.

ESPN's Buster Olney essentially confirmed the report by saying that Soler's representatives have called teams to ask if their bids are final. Olney notes that the Yankees "bid heavy" on the 20-year-old, but other teams are viewing the Cubs as the favorites to sign him. The Braves and Dodgers also reportedly are after him hard, with a handful of other teams lurking in the background.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE to the Cubs.