calzonesays

Byron Buxton - OF MIN

422 posts in this topic

Supposed to be one of the real freakish athletes in the draft. Played multiple sports in high school, hit "500 foot homers" and even pitched. Reminds me of an Andrew McCutchen type talent at the very least.

He was drafted as an outfielder, but he can do it all.

1 person likes this

He won't be pitching

yeah I know, I threw it in there for kicks. Given the Twins rotation, maybe theres 00.0001%

He won't be pitching

yeah I know, I threw it in there for kicks. Given the Twins rotation, maybe theres 00.0001%

Theres that same chance that he doesn't sign

Exactly. He's got 80 speed. Has great potential pop and hit tools. He's a cross between the Upton brothers. BJ Speed and Justin's hit. The power is probably between Justin and BJ.

Well now that hes signed.. any thoughts on him?

Edited by The Harsh
Removed BC content.

1/3 with 1single, 1 BB and 2SB leading off in his 1st taste of MLB action. Nice debut kid.

.415/.523/.642 in 15 games with Low-A Cedar Rapids. 6/10 SB's.

Looking more Eric Davis than BJ Upton so far. Twins have to be really excited about this kid.

He will probably be among the top 10 prospects by seasons end. Already showing very good BB:K rates which is impressive for a young hitter of his age. Scouts say he has elite bat speed and it is certainly showing.

Will be an interesting debate going forward regarding whether the Astros made the right choice taking Correa #1. Obviously way too early to tell, and Correa has been great himself, but I thought it was a foregone conclusion leading up to the draft last year that Buxton was the guy.

Will be an interesting debate going forward regarding whether the Astros made the right choice taking Correa #1. Obviously way too early to tell, and Correa has been great himself, but I thought it was a foregone conclusion leading up to the draft last year that Buxton was the guy.

I actually thought Appel wsa generally thought of as the "best". Although there did not seem to be a clear cut guy like when Harper or Strasburg came out.

I actually thought Appel wsa generally thought of as the "best". Although there did not seem to be a clear cut guy like when Harper or Strasburg came out.

You're right. I know that once there were rumblings that the Astros would pass on Appel most thought it would be Buxton. I remember Correa kind of coming out of nowhere. My memory might be failing me, though...

He is one of my favorite prospects right now. Very impressed with his plate discipline at such a young age. 19 BB's to 17 K's is extremely impressive. Will be following him closely as he comes up through the ranks.

http://www.milb.com/..._pbp&pid=621439

These stats are just silly. In baseball america chat the other day they said he will probably be a top 5 prospect by the end of the year. He could be the next Andrew McCutchen.

Is there room for him at the MLB level? Aaron Hicks has very been impressive so far.

1 person likes this

These stats are just silly. In baseball america chat the other day they said he will probably be a top 5 prospect by the end of the year. He could be the next Andrew McCutchen.

Is there room for him at the MLB level? Aaron Hicks has very been impressive so far.

Is this is a joke? Impressive? He's hitting .120, OBP of .230.

Edited by tonguetied89

Yeah, it's a joke man. Cmilne and I always joke around sarcastically.

2 people like this

Yeah, it's a joke man. Cmilne and I always joke around sarcastically.

I'm not joking. He has been impressive. Impressive for my streamers to rack up strikeouts against!

Edited by Cmilne23
1 person likes this

He will probably be among the top 10 prospects by seasons end. Already showing very good BB:K rates which is impressive for a young hitter of his age. Scouts say he has elite bat speed and it is certainly showing.

There's a good chance he's top 5. If Taveras and Profar lose eligibility he may be the top position player prospect in baseball entering next year.

If Profar doesn't start to substantially pick it up, it probably won't matter if he's still in the prospect picture. I'm a huge fan of Profar, but Buxton's tools are ridiculous. What Buxton is doing right now is incredible, especially given how he performed last season (which wasn't terrible, but looked like he had some work to do). It's surprising how quickly he's adapted to professional ball.

Hicks is my #1 OF....... in my 250 team league!

1 person likes this

I can't even imagine who you're #2 would be. Chris Coughlan?

If there is an opening in that 250 team league let me know.

Thinking AA soon. Clearly he's dominating A ball. I'd expect that we may see him in a couple of years. In the meantime he is definitely going to be a top 10-15 prospect by year's end. Anxious to see what happens at higher levels. Somewhat high K's which is a bit concerning, but more walks which shows he's being selective.