Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

calzonesays

Byron Buxton - OF MIN

Thinking AA soon. Clearly he's dominating A ball. I'd expect that we may see him in a couple of years. In the meantime he is definitely going to be a top 10-15 prospect by year's end. Anxious to see what happens at higher levels. Somewhat high K's which is a bit concerning, but more walks which shows he's being selective.

10-15? I'd go top 5 easily. Only 19 years old and he looks like he has a very advanced approach. A true 5-tool player. Huge ceiling, unlike Profar, IMO.

^ I agree. Buxton ceiling, especially from a fantasy standpoint, is higher then Profar.

Thinking AA soon. Clearly he's dominating A ball. I'd expect that we may see him in a couple of years. In the meantime he is definitely going to be a top 10-15 prospect by year's end. Anxious to see what happens at higher levels. Somewhat high K's which is a bit concerning, but more walks which shows he's being selective.

18% K-rate? Not really that high at all.

^Nope. That really isn't that bad. For comparison Braun had 20% in single A, and then around 18% in AA. In 120 PA in AAA he really brought that number down, but Buxton could as well.

He'd likely go to High-A next. Most top prospects are less than a year away from the majors went they hit AA. And by top prospects, I'm talking the cream of the crop. Top 5 overall types. We don't really know if Buxton's in that group, but he sure could be. But High-A ball would definitely come next. The only propsect in recent memory I can think that skipped it was Bryce Harper. Also, you'll still likely see Buxton spend a few more months in A-ball first. Maybe a late June/July promotion if he keeps it up.

http://www.milb.com/..._pbp&pid=621439

These stats are just silly. In baseball america chat the other day they said he will probably be a top 5 prospect by the end of the year. He could be the next Andrew McCutchen.

Is there room for him at the MLB level? Aaron Hicks has very been impressive so far.

Hicks is my #1 OF....... in my 250 team league!

If there is an opening in that 250 team league let me know.

I'll let you know ASAP.

If Profar doesn't start to substantially pick it up, it probably won't matter if he's still in the prospect picture. I'm a huge fan of Profar, but Buxton's tools are ridiculous. What Buxton is doing right now is incredible, especially given how he performed last season (which wasn't terrible, but looked like he had some work to do). It's surprising how quickly he's adapted to professional ball.

Remember that Profar is born the same year as Buxton (1993) and is in AAA with major league appearances starting last season (and is up again now). And he plays middle infield. Buxton's good, but what woul dhe be doing now in AAA or MLB?

If Profar doesn't start to substantially pick it up, it probably won't matter if he's still in the prospect picture. I'm a huge fan of Profar, but Buxton's tools are ridiculous. What Buxton is doing right now is incredible, especially given how he performed last season (which wasn't terrible, but looked like he had some work to do). It's surprising how quickly he's adapted to professional ball.

Remember that Profar is born the same year as Buxton (1993) and is in AAA with major league appearances starting last season (and is up again now). And he plays middle infield. Buxton's good, but what woul dhe be doing now in AAA or MLB?

Exactly. If Profar was in single A he would be putting up terrific numbers as well. Honestly, Buxton needs to be promoted to AA. He is just mashing in single A. The stolen base numbers are eye opening as well as the average. He has a developing power tool and great plate discipline (35:39 BB:K). I agree that Buxton has a higher ceiling than Profar though. Both are solid talents, I just see Buxton taking a little longer to develop.

Prospect rankings tend to disregard that type of common sense. Age vs. level seems to matter all the way up until a guy hits the MLB and then the rankings basically say sink or swim. Buxton wouldn't likely be doing much better than Hicks if he was playing in Minnesota. I will say that given his progression in a short amount of minor league time, I have all the belief in his being a good one, but a lot of guys down in A ball flame out by the time they make it up the ladder. His talent seems to great for that to happen though.

Exactly. If Profar was in single A he would be putting up terrific numbers as well. Honestly, Buxton needs to be promoted to AA. He is just mashing in single A. The stolen base numbers are eye opening as well as the average. He has a developing power tool and great plate discipline (35:39 BB:K). I agree that Buxton has a higher ceiling than Profar though. Both are solid talents, I just see Buxton taking a little longer to develop.

It doesn't really matter what Buxton would be doing in the MLB right now...that's not how prospect rankings work. If that were the case the prospect rankings would be loaded with AAA players. It's all about projections. Buxton just has better tools, significantly more power and speed. Buxton is no slouch in the field either. Profar's hit tool is much better. And due to the fact that he's a MI, it tends to lead to an increase in value. As I said before, I'm a huge fan of Profar, but Buxton's tools are a pretty unique skill set. It wasn't as much a knock on Profar as it was a statement about Buxton's projection value.

It doesn't really matter what Buxton would be doing in the MLB right now...that's not how prospect rankings work. If that were the case the prospect rankings would be loaded with AAA players. It's all about projections. Buxton just has better tools, significantly more power and speed. Buxton is no slouch in the field either. Profar's hit tool is much better. And due to the fact that he's a MI, it tends to lead to an increase in value. As I said before, I'm a huge fan of Profar, but Buxton's tools are a pretty unique skill set. It wasn't as much a knock on Profar as it was a statement about Buxton's projection value.

I get what you're saying. But it does kind of matter what Buxton could do in the Majors right now. Because Profar is and they're born the same year. So if you expect Buxton to improve, so should Profar. but yeah, Buxton is pretty special too...

Had to stash him now in my 10 player keeper with that article out, was gonna wait for a promotion to high A or AA but I got excited

I get what you're saying. But it does kind of matter what Buxton could do in the Majors right now. Because Profar is and they're born the same year. So if you expect Buxton to improve, so should Profar. but yeah, Buxton is pretty special too...

I get your point. I just disagree with punishing a guy for not having the opportunity to play in the minors. Buxton finished high school and is now tearing it up in his first professional season. I think the point would be different if we were talking about a college player.

In last prospect hot sheet chat from BA, Ben Badler was asked his opinion of Sano vs Buxton.

He said he would pick Sano and "He might be the best prospect in baseball by the end of the year."

In last prospect hot sheet chat from BA, Ben Badler was asked his opinion of Sano vs Buxton.

He said he would pick Sano and "He might be the best prospect in baseball by the end of the year."

Well, I would say both of them do different things, but pretty equally. Sano is more of the power hitter with speed and Buxton is speedy with power. They are both hitting solid average for their levels (.339 for Sano in A+ and .337 for Buxton in A). In terms of sheer volume of numbers I think Buxton has the advantage, he seems like a 20/40 type player and Sano seems more 30/15, but power is the skill that seems to develop most as players grow older, so that projection might be low. That being said I think both are extremely talented and in addition to Hicks and their pitching prospects the Twins look like a team that will contend in the future. I just don't know if I can say one prospect is easily better than the other.

So neither will be up this year. Any chance they start the season next year with the Twins?

In addition to Hicks and their pitching prospects

And that's what I'm hoping with Terry Ryan back is that it goes full circle, because for once in many years the Twins have better bats than arms in their system right now. Sano/Buxton 1-2 is pretty serious.

My bad...he stated he would pick Buxton

Buxton is the no brainer over Sano. Buxton has speed, power, defense. Sano has power, he doesn't have great speed, and his defense -- while its been good, his body will probably grow and make him a liability in the field as he matures.

Buxton has a 1:1 K:BB ratio, and his OBP is 100 points higher than his average. For a young player like that, that is almost unheard of. Usually patience and strike zone judgments are one of the last things that young players develop. This guy seems more mature beyond his years, will be interesting to see how his numbers vary when he is challenged at a new level.

chances that bux makes the club out of ST next year?

I'd like to say yes, but I think they give him some time in AA before promoting him to the majors. It would be an awfully difficult transition to go from A to the majors with nothing in between. If he does well there, which I bet he does, I would expect him up sometime near the middle of next season.

chances that bux makes the club out of ST next year?

These are the Twins we're talking about....them and the Rays are notoriously slow for promoting prospects...I would be surprised if he were up at all next year, and then it would be halfway through 2015 before he surpasses super 2 status...just a prediction, and not a reflection if he could handle the jump or not.

any talk of him getting bumped to high A? he's 50+ games in, and carrying an OPS near 1.000, as well as numerous other impressive numbers that have been mentioned here.