Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

calzonesays

Byron Buxton - OF MIN

I just scored the first pick in my league's mid-season minor league draft, and Buxton is the guy I'm going with. He's starting to look like he could be a crazy elite fantasy prospect, and he's certainly someone to get excited about at this point.

The big question with both Buxton and Sano will be call-up timing. I know the Twins are notoriously slow with calling up their pitching prospects, but they have occasionally shown a willingness to quickly promote hitters that they thought were advanced enough to make it (Mauer and Revere are examples). I just hope they don't leave him on the farm forever is all.

Man, checking out his MILB page brings me back to when I kept checking Trout's. They both played for the same Low A team(Cedar Rapids) and both just tore the league up. Buxton's stats look a lot like Trout's when he played there. He's the next big thing

A call-up to High A to finish out the season will probably happen, and then next year I can see him starting out in AA. Developing power, incredible speed, great eye at the plate. Dude's looking like a monster player

Wish this kid was available in Yahoo, I'd stash him in a nanosecond.

Agreed, I have the no.1 waiver, wish he'd get added in the worst way.

MLB wise when are we talking about a call up?

Cup of coffee in September?

Make the team out of ST next season?

2014 July call up?

No chance he's up this year. This is his first full year in Pro ball and he's in Low A

I'd expect a call-up to High A within the next 30 days or so and he'll finish out the season there most likely. Best case scenario is he gets a midseason call-up next year if he's dominating in AA, or a september call-up next year.

He's a good year and a half away at the very least, and perhaps 2 full years away if he has any struggles in High A/AA

With guys like this, the timeline is very fluid. He could absolutely dominate high A for a month and get his feet wet in AA this fall with an AFL appearance and a Spring Training invite. From there, who knows.

He's clearly a special, special talent, but the Twins are historically very methodical with their prospects, meaning he could spend all of 2014 with High A / AA and not sniff the big club till mid 2015...

well he was over the main page of fantasy baseball espn site. so they casuals know about him.

Also the headliner in a Yahoo article about the Futures game. This guy has "Trout" written all over him.

Quotes that Jason Parks gathered on Buxton

"Buxton is the best player I have ever scouted in the minors.."

"He's Eric Davis with a better bat. It would be great for the game if Buxton becomes Buxton.
"

"We have an internal comp to Mike Trout, but the tools might be even louder at full potential.
"

Just had a guy in our league bid $45 on Buxton in tonights waiver. Am I missing something or is this guy just super stashing him? Like, stashing him possibly a few years? Or is there a call up?

I think people read the ESPN article and got a little too antsy. People that already knew about him know that he wont be up till late 2014 at the earliest. I had a guy in my KEEP 2 league already stash him. He is in last place, but he can keep Myers and Profar for free as it is so I dont really get the move.

My only guess is the ESPN article caused people to jump on him, especailly since the article clearly states "If youre in a keeper league go and pick him up now". I think it depends on how many you keep to be honest. If I were in a 20 team Keep 10 league ya I would probably pick him up. But picking him up in a 10 team, keep 2 league is pretty comical to say the least.

The guy is likely carrying dead weight for a couple of years, but looking back to a few years ago, it probably would have been a wise move to have the dead weight Mike Trout for a year or so before he got called up to cash in on what's happening now.

I wish Yahoo would add him to the player list so I could scoop him up in a keeper league of mine. I know he may not make an impact til mid-2014 but he's too good of a talent to pass up. I got Machado in May of 2012 thinking he wouldn't sniff the majors til July of this season and I won the lottery on that one.

forbin.....in some keeper leagues he will be drafted late in the draft next year the at earliest.

forbin.....in some keeper leagues he will be drafted late in the draft next year the at earliest.

I agree, I dont see the point in grabbing Buxton this early (unless its a dynasty or you have a keeper pool of 150-200+) when he isnt expected to be up till at least 2015 (maybe late 2014, but I think even that is pushing it)

Sano and Bogaerts are a lot closer to the Bigs than Buxton. I can't see him playing for the Twins in 2014 unless it's a very brief cup of coffee in September. I expect him to compete for a job at the start of 2015 but even then I wouldn't be that surprised if he ended up starting in minors in 2015. Obviously a lot depends on how he adjusts to the higher levels but I think late 2014, early 2015 is a very fair projection based on his talent.