Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

calzonesays

Byron Buxton - OF MIN

Hype train officially in full swing.

“I am positive he’s the best prospect I’ve seen in (more than a decade) of full-time scouting,” a pro scout for a National League club said. “It’s not even close. Tools, athleticism, feel and vision. Time will tell what kind of major league player he becomes, but the sky is the limit."

“Joe Mauer, Prince Fielder, Albert Pujols, that’s the grouping I have him in as far as pure hitting approach,” said the scout, who saw all three of those future big league stars come through the MWL."

http://www.baseballa...n-cedar-rapids/

Sano and Bogaerts are a lot closer to the Bigs than Buxton. I can't see him playing for the Twins in 2014 unless it's a very brief cup of coffee in September. I expect him to compete for a job at the start of 2015 but even then I wouldn't be that surprised if he ended up starting in minors in 2015. Obviously a lot depends on how he adjusts to the higher levels but I think late 2014, early 2015 is a very fair projection based on his talent.

I definitely agree both Sano and especially Xander are closer to the Majors than Buxton is. And yes it all depends on how he adjust to the higher levels but I really believe the Twins have a once in a lifetime player with Buxton provided he remains healthy.

If only the Twins could get a few decent arms for their rotation, they could be pretty formidable over the next few years with guys like Buxton and Sano.

Dollars to donuts that Terry Ryan ends up trading this kid for a arm, ala Shields/Myers. Their pitching is feces and not much waiting in the wings. If not Buxton then Sano.

Dollars to donuts that Terry Ryan ends up trading this kid for a arm, ala Shields/Myers. Their pitching is feces and not much waiting in the wings. If not Buxton then Sano.

I think Buxton and Sano will be untouchable. Morneau, on the other hand, will be on the move.

From everything Ive read about this guy is he is a very special player. A talent that doesn't come around very often. I would say there is about a 1% chance he gets called up this season, but I thought the same about Machado last season and missed out on him. I think back now and would love to have someone like Trout or even Harper ride my bench for a year plus while they're in the minors just to own them now in a keeper league. I added Buxton in my 12 team keep 10 and it will cost me a bench spot and keeper spot for probably a year or so. Everything I've gathered on Buxton is players with his skill set and ceiling that will be worth the wait.

Jesus Montero was supposed to be Miggy Cabrera.

True, but the Yankees are also notorious for hyping up their prospects and then usually not delivering the goods.

And Montero is woefully lacking in tools whereas Buxton is not. They're two completely different prospects in terms of talent.

No way man, are you really saying that a highly rated prospect could turn out to be a bust. That's unheard of.

For every high rated prospect who lives up to expectations there are many more who don't. That is not ground breaking info.

No way man, are you really saying that a highly rated prospect could turn out to be a bust. That's unheard of.

For every high rated prospect who lives up to expectations there are many more who don't. That is not ground breaking info.

Yeah... you can't just throw out the name of a prospect who did not live up to expectations. That clearly happens a lot in baseball. Buxton is completely different than both players so no reason behind even mentioning Montero.

A two year stash is pretty extreme for your average keeper leagues but with rookies snatching all the headlines the last couple of years you may see people reaching earlier than they probably should.

Yeah, and his stock will only skyrocket that much more when he's the consensus top prospect in MLB after this year. At the very worst, he'll be in the top 5 on pretty much every major prospect list

How good is buxton suppose to be? Is he the next Puig or Trout or Bryce Harper ?

I think Buxton and Sano will be untouchable. Morneau, on the other hand, will be on the move.

Not so sure. Terry Ryan's pedigree, and Twins baseball in general, is about pitching and defense. It's been that way for 25 years, and a pitcher-friendly ballpark just lends to that. With that said, I wouldn't be surprised if either Buxton or Sano was moved before they even get a MLB taste. If they can get someone like KC did with James Shields for Wil Myers, and a favorable contract to boot, it's very possible. It would be different if they didn't need pitching in the worst way.

The Twins are no where near the Royals. To compare Terry Ryan to Dayton Moore is pure blasphemy. Buxton, Sano, Arcia, Rosario, Kepler, etc. are going to be playing together for awhile. You trade veterans for prospect pitchers. Not prospect hitters for veteran pitchers. That Shields-Myers trade is a perfect example of why the Rays are the Rays and the Royals are the Royals. /rantoff

Not so sure. Terry Ryan's pedigree, and Twins baseball in general, is about pitching and defense. It's been that way for 25 years, and a pitcher-friendly ballpark just lends to that. With that said, I wouldn't be surprised if either Buxton or Sano was moved before they even get a MLB taste. If they can get someone like KC did with James Shields for Wil Myers, and a favorable contract to boot, it's very possible. It would be different if they didn't need pitching in the worst way.

They're too talented to move for pitching. Buxton is arguably the top prospect in all of baseball. Sano isn't that far behind him. You don't move prospects like that. Shields is a good pitcher, but I'm betting Dayton Moore will wind up regretting that trade.

They're too talented to move for pitching. Buxton is arguably the top prospect in all of baseball. Sano isn't that far behind him. You don't move prospects like that. Shields is a good pitcher, but I'm betting Dayton Moore will wind up regretting that trade.

I think they are also different types of prospects as well. Myers was an mlb ready prospect that, IMO, does not have the ceiling of Sano or Buxton. I agree that these two are way too talented to move right now. Why would they? Even if they get a great pitcher back this team still can not contend right now.

If Minnesota was close to contention, they could trade Buxton or Sano for a big name expiring player. Obviously they're not close and trading Buxton or Sano would be a total waste. I think we will see all these guys as Twins. They aren't going to deal them for pennies on the dollar they are just going to use their team control and go from there.

If Minnesota was close to contention, they could trade Buxton or Sano for a big name expiring player. Obviously they're not close and trading Buxton or Sano would be a total waste. I think we will see all these guys as Twins. They aren't going to deal them for pennies on the dollar they are just going to use their team control and go from there.

Buxton's value far exceeds that of a rental player. If Buxton is traded it would be for a good player with several years team control left.

Morneau wont bring much more than a 5th starter at this point