Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Patrick Bateman

Movie Thread

Almost 6 months since the last post in this thread. Been a weak year in movies. My three favorite films this year are easily "Birdman", "Boyhood", and "Nightcrawler". Can't wait to see "Inherent Vice". "Boyhood" and "Birdman" are two great films in a sea of garbage this year, while Jake Gyllenhaal absolutely carries "Nightcrawler" with his performance.

Anyone here into the Criterion Collection? I've started to really get into it and I'm watching a lot of foreign films. Man, there are so many great foreign films a lot of people won't watch because they don't enjoy reading subtitles. The Criterion Collection is a great resource for film buffs, stock up on them when they're on sale if you have a chance.

The Devil's Backbone rocks my face off if you haven't seen it. I believe it is in there.

Almost 6 months since the last post in this thread. Been a weak year in movies. My three favorite films this year are easily "Birdman", "Boyhood", and "Nightcrawler". Can't wait to see "Inherent Vice". "Boyhood" and "Birdman" are two great films in a sea of garbage this year, while Jake Gyllenhaal absolutely carries "Nightcrawler" with his performance.

Anyone here into the Criterion Collection? I've started to really get into it and I'm watching a lot of foreign films. Man, there are so many great foreign films a lot of people won't watch because they don't enjoy reading subtitles. The Criterion Collection is a great resource for film buffs, stock up on them when they're on sale if you have a chance.

I'm on the other side: I think it's been a fantastic year for movies—especially if you consider the foreign releases. Birdman (probably my favorite of the year), Boyhood, and Nightcrawler are all great, but there are also gems like:

- Whiplash: J.K. Simmons deserves every accolade thrown his way---one of the best villains to ever be on-screen, IMO; Miles Teller's star also continues to rise

- Foxcatcher: Directed by Bennett Miller, who also did Moneyball and Capote---excellent turns from Carell, Ruffalo, and Tatum

- The Immigrant: Anything with Phoenix is worth watching, and Cotillard herself is one of the best actresses working today.

- The One I Love: If you want to have a good talk with your SO, this is a solid motivator.

- We Are the Best!: A unique take on our love for music.

- Night Moves: Let's keep this one away from PETA enthusiasts.

- Citizenfour: An intimate look at Snowden's life post-leak. Fantastic documentary.

- Goodbye to Language: The latest movie from one of cinema's most celebrated directors, Godard. The narrative has an interesting twist to it.

- The Skeleton Twins: Bill Hader is as underappreciated now as Jason Segel was a few years ago.

- What We Do in the Shadows: A subversion of the vampire genre.

- The Imitation Game: Biopic? Social injustice? British? Start running the awards circuit, boys!

- The Theory of Everything: See above, but give more respect to the physicality of the performance.

- Mr. Turner: See above, but watch it anyway and tune into the mind of one of the most eccentric artists this side of Van Gogh.

- The Drop: It turns a somewhat conventional plot on its head. Hardy and Gandolfini (R.I.P.) give fine performances.

- Wild: Reese Witherspoon brings her A-game, as does Vallee (director of Dallas Buyers' Club).

- Manglehorn: Pacino will never be unwelcome on the silver screen.

- WildLike: Tap into your adventurous side. Just don't pull a McCandless.

- Short Term 12: It's best to watch this one without any expectations going in.

- Blue Ruin: This is France's stoic imitation of the Coens. It is phenomenal.

- Calvary: Brendan Gleeson continues to impose a towering presence in movies where he's given the lead. Gorgeous cinematography, thought-provoking and doubt-inspiring, it's one that'll stick with you for a while.

- Enemy: It's divisive, but Jake Gyllenhaal continues to impress.

- Force Majeure: It's a dialogue-heavy family drama. It'll hit home for everyone and anyone. If you've seen and like Festen by Thomas Vinterberg, you'll appreciate this one. And if you haven't, you still will.

- The Rover: Robert Pattinson isn't always a sparkly vampire?! Say it ain't so! Guy Pearce is pretty great as well.

- John Wick: Thank you, Keanu, for bringing back '80s action bravado in all its rage-fueled glory.

- Wild Tales: You'll probably feel exhausted reading the synopsis. Don't let that stop you.

- Maps to the Stars: Cronenberg elicits a visceral, wrenching performance out of Julianne Moore. This is the dark side of Hollywood.

- The Scribbler: I wonder what Kubrick would think...

- Plemya: Not the best movie for a first date.

- Nuoc/2030: Minh Nguyen-Vo tackles the gloom of the human heart head-on. In a way, Nuoc is resonant of Doubt, insofar as the negative feelings which creep up on and take hold of the characters and audience.

- A Most Wanted Man: PSH went out on a high note. May he rest in peace.

- Locke: This is what Refn and Gosling tried so hard to be. Hardy is a one-man showstopper.

- 20,000 Days on Earth: A moving documentary which makes you profoundly appreciate every breath you take.

- The Guest: Solid thriller with an interesting payoff. If you like suspense, this is for you.

- The Wind Rises: Ostensibly the last movie to be directed by Miyazaki, one of Japan's most treasured artists. Yes, it's animated. No, there isn't any weird stuff involving tentacles and bondage. Watch it. Be moved.

- Starred Up: Forget Unbroken. If you want to see Jack O'Connell at his grimiest, watch Starred Up. The desperation and anger reeks off of him.

- A Most Violent Year: There's a reason J.C. Chandor is drawing comparisons to Sidney Lumet. The scope of this movie is both intimate and widespread, and both Isaac (another rising star---see Inside Llewyn Davis) and Chastain do their job in bringing the perspective to life.

- Gone Girl: Fincher delivers. Rosamind Pike certainly delivers. Affleck is great. Plus, it's amusing listening to people rant about how it's nothing but a feminist nuclear warhead.

- Under the Skin: Scarlett Johansson has been getting a lot of praise for this one, but it goes beyond her. Themes of alienation, xenophobia, superficiality, and loneliness are given a lot of thought.

- The Babadook: It's being called one of the best horror movies of the past few decades. Decide for yourself if it lives up to the hype.

- Predestination: A time travel movie (which is always fun), but with the added bonus of Ethan Hawke!

- Still Alice: Julianne Moore is going to get a lot of love for this one. If you like it, I'd also recommend checking out Amour, which deals with similar obstacles.

- Top Five: The trailer is highly misleading. This is not a romcom. It's Chris Rock making a smart comedy. Give it a shot.

- Horse Money: The synopsis isn't much to go by, but man, this is surreal. Pedro Costa (the director) emits shades of Jodorowsky.

- Listen Up Phillip: Ever had things not go your way? Alex Ross Perry understands.

- Glass Chin: It deals with exactly what you think it does, but it's far from formulaic.

- Palo Alto: How much do you like James Franco?

- Selma: This one's a latecomer to the party, but it's gotten nothing but overwhelming praise thus far. Oyelowo as MLK is apparently revelatory.

- Leviathan: Do the Russians even understand the concept of happiness?

- Kano: One of the best baseball movies I've seen, and you'll likely think the same.

Yes, this is a ton of movies. No, they're not all widely available (but they can all be found if you know where to look). No, this isn't even close to the definitive list of notable 2014 releases. But hey, give some of them a shot. You might find yourself seeing "2014 in Cinema" in a different light.

Watched 50/50 the other night.

An excessively sappy, unimaginative, predictable movie. I'd give it a 4.7/10

I'm on the other side: I think it's been a fantastic year for moviesespecially if you consider the foreign releases. Birdman (probably my favorite of the year), Boyhood, and Nightcrawler are all great, but there are also gems like:

- Whiplash: J.K. Simmons deserves every accolade thrown his way---one of the best villains to ever be on-screen, IMO; Miles Teller's star also continues to rise

- Foxcatcher: Directed by Bennett Miller, who also did Moneyball and Capote---excellent turns from Carell, Ruffalo, and Tatum

- The Immigrant: Anything with Phoenix is worth watching, and Cotillard herself is one of the best actresses working today.

- The One I Love: If you want to have a good talk with your SO, this is a solid motivator.

- We Are the Best!: A unique take on our love for music.

- Night Moves: Let's keep this one away from PETA enthusiasts.

- Citizenfour: An intimate look at Snowden's life post-leak. Fantastic documentary.

- Goodbye to Language: The latest movie from one of cinema's most celebrated directors, Godard. The narrative has an interesting twist to it.

- The Skeleton Twins: Bill Hader is as underappreciated now as Jason Segel was a few years ago.

- What We Do in the Shadows: A subversion of the vampire genre.

- The Imitation Game: Biopic? Social injustice? British? Start running the awards circuit, boys!

- The Theory of Everything: See above, but give more respect to the physicality of the performance.

- Mr. Turner: See above, but watch it anyway and tune into the mind of one of the most eccentric artists this side of Van Gogh.

- The Drop: It turns a somewhat conventional plot on its head. Hardy and Gandolfini (R.I.P.) give fine performances.

- Wild: Reese Witherspoon brings her A-game, as does Vallee (director of Dallas Buyers' Club).

- Manglehorn: Pacino will never be unwelcome on the silver screen.

- WildLike: Tap into your adventurous side. Just don't pull a McCandless.

- Short Term 12: It's best to watch this one without any expectations going in.

- Blue Ruin: This is France's stoic imitation of the Coens. It is phenomenal.

- Calvary: Brendan Gleeson continues to impose a towering presence in movies where he's given the lead. Gorgeous cinematography, thought-provoking and doubt-inspiring, it's one that'll stick with you for a while.

- Enemy: It's divisive, but Jake Gyllenhaal continues to impress.

- Force Majeure: It's a dialogue-heavy family drama. It'll hit home for everyone and anyone. If you've seen and like Festen by Thomas Vinterberg, you'll appreciate this one. And if you haven't, you still will.

- The Rover: Robert Pattinson isn't always a sparkly vampire?! Say it ain't so! Guy Pearce is pretty great as well.

- John Wick: Thank you, Keanu, for bringing back '80s action bravado in all its rage-fueled glory.

- Wild Tales: You'll probably feel exhausted reading the synopsis. Don't let that stop you.

- Maps to the Stars: Cronenberg elicits a visceral, wrenching performance out of Julianne Moore. This is the dark side of Hollywood.

- The Scribbler: I wonder what Kubrick would think...

- Plemya: Not the best movie for a first date.

- Nuoc/2030: Minh Nguyen-Vo tackles the gloom of the human heart head-on. In a way, Nuoc is resonant of Doubt, insofar as the negative feelings which creep up on and take hold of the characters and audience.

- A Most Wanted Man: PSH went out on a high note. May he rest in peace.

- Locke: This is what Refn and Gosling tried so hard to be. Hardy is a one-man showstopper.

- 20,000 Days on Earth: A moving documentary which makes you profoundly appreciate every breath you take.

- The Guest: Solid thriller with an interesting payoff. If you like suspense, this is for you.

- The Wind Rises: Ostensibly the last movie to be directed by Miyazaki, one of Japan's most treasured artists. Yes, it's animated. No, there isn't any weird stuff involving tentacles and bondage. Watch it. Be moved.

- Starred Up: Forget Unbroken. If you want to see Jack O'Connell at his grimiest, watch Starred Up. The desperation and anger reeks off of him.

- A Most Violent Year: There's a reason J.C. Chandor is drawing comparisons to Sidney Lumet. The scope of this movie is both intimate and widespread, and both Isaac (another rising star---see Inside Llewyn Davis) and Chastain do their job in bringing the perspective to life.

- Gone Girl: Fincher delivers. Rosamind Pike certainly delivers. Affleck is great. Plus, it's amusing listening to people rant about how it's nothing but a feminist nuclear warhead.

- Under the Skin: Scarlett Johansson has been getting a lot of praise for this one, but it goes beyond her. Themes of alienation, xenophobia, superficiality, and loneliness are given a lot of thought.

- The Babadook: It's being called one of the best horror movies of the past few decades. Decide for yourself if it lives up to the hype.

- Predestination: A time travel movie (which is always fun), but with the added bonus of Ethan Hawke!

- Still Alice: Julianne Moore is going to get a lot of love for this one. If you like it, I'd also recommend checking out Amour, which deals with similar obstacles.

- Top Five: The trailer is highly misleading. This is not a romcom. It's Chris Rock making a smart comedy. Give it a shot.

- Horse Money: The synopsis isn't much to go by, but man, this is surreal. Pedro Costa (the director) emits shades of Jodorowsky.

- Listen Up Phillip: Ever had things not go your way? Alex Ross Perry understands.

- Glass Chin: It deals with exactly what you think it does, but it's far from formulaic.

- Palo Alto: How much do you like James Franco?

- Selma: This one's a latecomer to the party, but it's gotten nothing but overwhelming praise thus far. Oyelowo as MLK is apparently revelatory.

- Leviathan: Do the Russians even understand the concept of happiness?

- Kano: One of the best baseball movies I've seen, and you'll likely think the same.

Yes, this is a ton of movies. No, they're not all widely available (but they can all be found if you know where to look). No, this isn't even close to the definitive list of notable 2014 releases. But hey, give some of them a shot. You might find yourself seeing "2014 in Cinema" in a different light.

Have you actually watched all of those?

Have you actually watched all of those?

Most of them. I'm a stone's throw from NYC, so I'm lucky enough to have film festivals crop up all the time and theaters playing limited releases.

Other than a A Most Violent Year and Selma, I think, they are all accessible in one way or another.

Honestly, Harsh, I don't have time to see that many films. Wish I did, and that's awesome if you do. I saw "Whiplash" and I thought it was very good. Saw "Foxcatcher" and thought it was very overrated. It's not a film anyone will remember in two years IMO. I saw "Babadook" and thought it was fine, but really a run of the mill horror film that doesn't go for obvious gore to cheapen the experience. I'll try to check out some of the other films you suggested.

Obviously, there are plenty of good films released every year if you really dig. I'll admit I haven't dug really, really far into the films released this year. When I do have time to really dig into movies, I find myself getting into films of the past because I find the overall zeitgeist of movies from 20, 30, 40 years ago to be more interesting overall than what I see today. Whether that's a bias that I hold, who knows, but it's just an opinion that I hold and an opinion that many others that I know hold.

Honestly, Harsh, I don't have time to see that many films. Wish I did, and that's awesome if you do. I saw "Whiplash" and I thought it was very good. Saw "Foxcatcher" and thought it was very overrated. It's not a film anyone will remember in two years IMO. I saw "Babadook" and thought it was fine, but really a run of the mill horror film that doesn't go for obvious gore to cheapen the experience. I'll try to check out some of the other films you suggested.

Obviously, there are plenty of good films released every year if you really dig. I'll admit I haven't dug really, really far into the films released this year. When I do have time to really dig into movies, I find myself getting into films of the past because I find the overall zeitgeist of movies from 20, 30, 40 years ago to be more interesting overall than what I see today. Whether that's a bias that I hold, who knows, but it's just an opinion that I hold and an opinion that many others that I know hold.

Well, a lot of them served as a way to procrastinate while I was supposed to be studying for exams. In a way, being lazy is a great motivator. :lol:

Definitely try and check out the ones that caught your eye. I'm interested in hearing what you think.

Since you've been checking out a lot of foreign films from years past, I recommend Stalker.

Murrica!! The trailers Doesnt look funny i but i have to support it.

Dw9813D.gif

Well, a lot of them served as a way to procrastinate while I was supposed to be studying for exams. In a way, being lazy is a great motivator. :lol:

Definitely try and check out the ones that caught your eye. I'm interested in hearing what you think.

Since you've been checking out a lot of foreign films from years past, I recommend Stalker.

Tarkovsky's amazing. I've seen "Andrei Rublev", "Solaris", and "Stalker". Three incredible movies. Truly rewards patience and multiple viewings. Need to check out some of his other stuff

Been watching a lot of Criterion's foreign stuff lately. Picked up a couple Blu-Rays from Seijun Suzuki. "Branded to Kill" and "Tokyo Drifter". They're phenomenal. I just recently saw "8 1/2" by Fellini. It's one of those I'd always meant to see, but never sat down and watched it. I'd seen "Amarcord" and "La Dolce Vita", but never saw "8 1/2". "8 1/2" blew me away. Probably one of the 5 best films I've ever seen. Also, recently saw "Fellini Satyricon", which was cool. Bizarre, but a great 1-2 punch with something like Jodorowsky's "The Holy Mountain".

Another movie I saw recently that is great is "If...." with Malcolm McDowell. It's a really great companion piece to watch with "A Clockwork Orange". McDowell was such a great actor. He's basically been in a bunch of B, even C, movies for the last 30 years, but he was just phenomenal early in his career. It's crazy to think an actor of McDowell's caliber has actually acted in Cinemax-caliber softcore porn. I think "Caligula" really started his downfall.

Call me a boor but I thought Birdman was just okay. I feel like in the interest of capturing certain cinematography gimmicks it was miscast and averagely written. Much of the acting fell flat for what they seemed like they were trying to go for. I liked the concept but the execution distracted me from the story and the acting from some characters fell short (especially Emma Stone who always seems like she's trying too hard to act). I really liked Naomi Watts though - she consistently leaves everything on the screen.

Boyhood was similar (a movie hinging on the gimmick of being filmed over 12 years) although the acting was significantly better IMO and a good story was told. I had no problem relating to the boy in the story and they captured a lot of emotion.

My movie preferences will always lean towards being entertained over impressing my fellow film school friends with snappy film tricks or concepts. I can appreciate the ability to execute something really difficult but not in the interest of losing the point in film, which is telling the story. It's the difference between reading a classic novel and a technical manual for rebuilding a Cobra Stingray.

Can't wait for American Sniper. That's the one I'm most looking forward to.

Will see it this week. I'm never one to pay attention to trailers, but this one got me interested.

Can't wait for American Sniper. That's the one I'm most looking forward to.

Will see it this week. I'm never one to pay attention to trailers, but this one got me interested.

Let me know how it is. I've heard varying reviews on it from different perspectives. Was thinking of heading into one of the big cities this week to see it, but figured I'd just wait until January 16th for it to be released in the local theaters.

Imitation game was great. Cumberbatch is at the top of his game right now.

The Gambler was complete crap. Well, it's watchable, but not very good. The characters arent very good, and the protagonist(Wahlberg) is very hard to like imo.

Call me a boor but I thought Birdman was just okay. I feel like in the interest of capturing certain cinematography gimmicks it was miscast and averagely written. Much of the acting fell flat for what they seemed like they were trying to go for. I liked the concept but the execution distracted me from the story and the acting from some characters fell short (especially Emma Stone who always seems like she's trying too hard to act). I really liked Naomi Watts though - she consistently leaves everything on the screen.

Boyhood was similar (a movie hinging on the gimmick of being filmed over 12 years) although the acting was significantly better IMO and a good story was told. I had no problem relating to the boy in the story and they captured a lot of emotion.

My movie preferences will always lean towards being entertained over impressing my fellow film school friends with snappy film tricks or concepts. I can appreciate the ability to execute something really difficult but not in the interest of losing the point in film, which is telling the story. It's the difference between reading a classic novel and a technical manual for rebuilding a Cobra Stingray.

Boor.

11.jpg

I haven't seen as many movies as The Harsh (who has?), but the best movie of the year, but quite a distance, is Boyhood. It's an amazing triumph of vanguard film making with the right amount of depth, character exploration and subtlety. It's quite an achievement for the entire production, namely Linklater. For an industry where ambition is now defined by more CGI or vision is slicing up books into faux trilogies, Linklater patiently and painstakingly crafts a story, over 12 years to not only tell a tale but create an essence of which almost everyone can empathize with. Whether you find yourself associating yourself with the son, the father, the mother or the daughter, almost all of us have had similar experiences and therefore the movie unfolds much differently for everyone resonating uniquely for every viewer. Huge fan of the movie.

Saw Keaton won the GG. Really happy for the guy. I liked Birdman, didn't love it, but he carries the film and is phenomenal. Movies I've seen recently are Foxcatcher. I enjoyed it. Very slow and sort of chilling pace. I would recommend if you know nothing about the movie or real life story, go into it without researching. You'll enjoy the resolution more. I also just saw The Imitation Game. I liked it, but it's a very basic and straightforward biopic. I enjoy being educated, even if you know that movies will take liberties. Still, I like learning about things and then going back and reading more about the real life people and places of the story. Foxcatcher is similar although its a very subjective view. Anyway, Cumberbatch, Strong, and Charles Dance (That's Tywin Lannister to you) are all in The Imitation Game and all give good performances.

Need to see The Theory of Everything, NightCrawler (I know, I know), and probably need to see The Hobbit (I'm pot invested already).

Watched "Gone Girl" on video this past weekend and really liked it (other than the ending). A friend recommended me to watch it, I liked it, I then recommended a couple of other friends to see it, and they liked it as well. If you enjoy thrillers with a lot of suspense then this is a great movie.

Anyone see Inherent Vice yet?

I saw it and I enjoyed it. It's definitely a movie that would benefit from multiple viewings. It apparently sticks very close to Thomas Pynchon's novel. I haven't read Pynchon's book, but I have read some of his earlier books, and his narratives tend to be really murky. Others have said it, and I completely agree, that it plays more like a Thomas Pynchon film with touches of PTA than a straight PTA film. You have to hand it to PTA though. He's one of the few directors who continues to take big swings and never plays it safe. "Inherent Vice" and "The Master" are easily his two strangest, most esoteric movies.

Anyone see Inherent Vice yet?

I saw it and I enjoyed it. It's definitely a movie that would benefit from multiple viewings. It apparently sticks very close to Thomas Pynchon's novel. I haven't read Pynchon's book, but I have read some of his earlier books, and his narratives tend to be really murky. Others have said it, and I completely agree, that it plays more like a Thomas Pynchon film with touches of PTA than a straight PTA film. You have to hand it to PTA though. He's one of the few directors who continues to take big swings and never plays it safe. "Inherent Vice" and "The Master" are easily his two strangest, most esoteric movies.

I love the word esoteric. It's so......esoteric.

I watched Tusk last weekend, it was truly terrible. Like a poor man's Human Centipede.

Really seems like conservative America has latched onto "American Sniper" as "their movie". I've actually seen people opine that it's a counter to the "art films" that Hollywood puts out. If people think that Hollywood releases "art films", then they need to pay closer attention. Unless you think superhero movies and Pixar films are "artsy".

I recommend you guys see Whiplash. Watched it on putlocker.is a few days ago and enjoyed it. It kind of reminded me somewhat of the first half of Full Metal Jacket, yet with a musical theme.

The whole movie was crap to me. 1. not a good movie period. 2. bad acting.