Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Patrick Bateman

Movie Thread

I agree with predator about him not 'all there' in the head. One thing is to do it like many of our proud soldiers and other thing is to brag about it. The guy is a proven liar and the whole movie was crap to me. 1. because of the guy. 2. not a good movie period. 3. bad acting.

Bad acting? Have you seen the movie? The acting is awesome ... best movie I have seen in years.

Folks, if you want to discuss the movie, that's fine, but let's keep it confined to that very narrow scope. As per the CoC, discussion on politics (this includes all things military) is forbidden.

I agree with predator about him not 'all there' in the head. One thing is to do it like many of our proud soldiers and other thing is to brag about it. The guy is a proven liar and the whole movie was crap to me. 1. because of the guy. 2. not a good movie period. 3. bad acting.

Bad acting? Have you seen the movie? The acting is awesome ... best movie I have seen in years.

Yup, besides bradley Cooper, bad acting. The kid .. Don't get me start. Haha

Also felt the script wasn't good as well.

Folks, if you want to discuss the movie, that's fine, but let's keep it confined to that very narrow scope. As per the CoC, discussion on politics (this includes all things military) is forbidden.

Good move ... thank you.

Watched Fury tonight. Loved the acting, liked the story, hated the lasers, hated the ending.

A few old movies to check out. 1953's Wages of Fear. One of the best thrillers of all-time, absolutely knocked my f**king socks off. Also, 1956's Bigger Than Life. A movie that is impossible to describe, but really plays as a black comedy that is funnier than 99% of what we see today. Finally, 1973's The Long Goodbye. Amazing movie. Also, I think it was brought up in this thread before, but Only God Forgives is probably the most underrated film of the last 5 years. The biggest issue with the film is that Ryan Gosling's character is stoic to the point where it creates unintentional comedy. But, other than that, it's a masterpiece. Better than Nicolas Winding Refn's other English language efforts Drive and Bronson.

A few old movies to check out. 1953's Wages of Fear. One of the best thrillers of all-time, absolutely knocked my f**king socks off. Also, 1956's Bigger Than Life. A movie that is impossible to describe, but really plays as a black comedy that is funnier than 99% of what we see today. Finally, 1973's The Long Goodbye. Amazing movie. Also, I think it was brought up in this thread before, but Only God Forgives is probably the most underrated film of the last 5 years. The biggest issue with the film is that Ryan Gosling's character is stoic to the point where it creates unintentional comedy. But, other than that, it's a masterpiece. Better than Nicolas Winding Refn's other English language efforts Drive and Bronson.

I love Only God Forgives, I thought I was the only one.

Really seems like conservative America has latched onto "American Sniper" as "their movie". I've actually seen people opine that it's a counter to the "art films" that Hollywood puts out. If people think that Hollywood releases "art films", then they need to pay closer attention. Unless you think superhero movies and Pixar films are "artsy".

Not sure what your point is .. can u be more specific?

Really seems like conservative America has latched onto "American Sniper" as "their movie". I've actually seen people opine that it's a counter to the "art films" that Hollywood puts out. If people think that Hollywood releases "art films", then they need to pay closer attention. Unless you think superhero movies and Pixar films are "artsy".

I'm not sure what you don't understand. Whether Eastwood intended it or not, the film became a political talking point for both conservative and liberal outlets. The narrative on Fox News and conservative radio following the massive opening weekend box office totals was that conservative Americans were tired of "artsy" films and films in general not representing their values. Maybe that narrative isn't completely accurate, but that was certainly being championed by conservative voices. Not to make this into a political discussion, just responding to you.

I saw the film and it was extremely mediocre IMO. It attempted to be a character study, but didn't particularly go in-depth into the character of Chris Kyle. Obviously, it was established that he couldn't remove himself from his military experiences when he was back home, but we don't really learn much about what made him tick. This was inevitable because there was a great deal of pressure on Eastwood from Kyle's family to portray him in a certain way, so it would have been difficult for Eastwood to do a complete character study because of those factors. The acting was fine, but it just wasn't that good IMO. If you enjoyed it, then that's great.

There are tons of war films that are incredibly superior to "American Sniper". "Apocalypse Now", "Bridge Over the River Kwai", "Platoon", "The Deer Hunter", "Saving Private Ryan", "Full Metal Jacket", "The Thin Red Line", "The Hurt Locker", "Casualties of War", "Black Hawk Down", "Three Kings", "Enemy at the Gates", etc. Just to name a few.

I just saw the latest Hobbit movie. It was alright. I'm all for action movies, but it seems like this whole movie revolved around "The Battle of the Five Armies." Imagine that.

I'm not sure what you don't understand. Whether Eastwood intended it or not, the film became a political talking point for both conservative and liberal outlets. The narrative on Fox News and conservative radio following the massive opening weekend box office totals was that conservative Americans were tired of "artsy" films and films in general not representing their values. Maybe that narrative isn't completely accurate, but that was certainly being championed by conservative voices. Not to make this into a political discussion, just responding to you.

I saw the film and it was extremely mediocre IMO. It attempted to be a character study, but didn't particularly go in-depth into the character of Chris Kyle. Obviously, it was established that he couldn't remove himself from his military experiences when he was back home, but we don't really learn much about what made him tick. This was inevitable because there was a great deal of pressure on Eastwood from Kyle's family to portray him in a certain way, so it would have been difficult for Eastwood to do a complete character study because of those factors. The acting was fine, but it just wasn't that good IMO. If you enjoyed it, then that's great.

There are tons of war films that are incredibly superior to "American Sniper". "Apocalypse Now", "Bridge Over the River Kwai", "Platoon", "The Deer Hunter", "Saving Private Ryan", "Full Metal Jacket", "The Thin Red Line", "The Hurt Locker", "Casualties of War", "Black Hawk Down", "Three Kings", "Enemy at the Gates", etc. Just to name a few.

The reason that "conservatives" were supportive of the movie is because it's not an "artsy" anti-American, and anti-soldier film. The first four movies you list are all fantasy movies that portray American or Western soldiers as criminals, traitors, or drug addicts. The movie "Bridge Over the River Kwai" has been renounced by the troops that were there as pure fantasy. That movie was not accurate, and to portray a British officer seemingly in league with their Japanese tormentors was complete fantasy. The WWII vets that survived that ordeal were horrified at that movie .. nothing in that movie was accurate, including the bridge, the place, the time, and everything else ... nothing in that movie was accurate, absolutely nothing, it was "artsy" and pure left wing fantasy ... that's a fact, look it up.

The reason that "conservatives" were supportive of the movie is because it's not an "artsy" anti-American, and anti-soldier film. The first four movies you list are all fantasy movies that portray American or Western soldiers as criminals, traitors, or drug addicts. The movie "Bridge Over the River Kwai" has been renounced by the troops that were there as pure fantasy. That movie was not accurate, and to portray a British officer seemingly in league with their Japanese tormentors was complete fantasy. The WWII vets that survived that ordeal were horrified at that movie .. nothing in that movie was accurate, including the bridge, the place, the time, and everything else ... nothing in that movie was accurate, absolutely nothing, it was "artsy" and pure left wing fantasy ... that's a fact, look it up.

I'm not judging the film based on what veterans thought of it. I have a lot of respect for vets, but I'm judging "American Sniper" on how interesting, how compelling it was. And I just thought it was a very ordinary movie.

I know I've read articles on both sides. Some formers soldiers really liked it, others were critical of it. Obviously, "American Sniper" gives a much less subversive portrayal of the military than a film like "Apocalypse Now", for example. But "Apocalypse Now" is a much, much better film than "American Sniper". You can't judge a film on how respectful it is. You have to judge it on the merits of what makes a movie good or bad. For example, you can't s**t on a film like "Network" because it is a satire of network news and doesn't treat its subject matter with reverence. Just my two cents. You're entitled to your opinion and, if you loved the film, then I respect that.

Saw Nightcrawler a few days ago. Great movie. Definitely recommend seeing it. Gyllenhaal's character is definitely unforgettable, and he plays it so well.

Watched Foxcatcher and Nightcrawler this weekend. Was a big fan of Foxcatcher, didn't really like Nightcrawler.

Watched Housebound on Netflix last night -- I'm not normally a fan of comedy/horror, but I had been reading some pretty positive reviews on it and had some time to kill. Overall, it was better than average, but got pretty silly and over the top in the final third of the film. While it's not something I'd ever watch again, it actually wasn't too bad.

Movies I've seen recently that I would recommend:

Sorcerer (1977)

Thief (1981)

Ace in the Hole (1951)

Three incredible films IMO.

Mad Max was incredible. Non stop action. Great action sequences. Go watch it!

Saw Jurassic World this weekend. I was entertained.

Watched the Gambler on DVD. Had it's moments but could have been better all around. John Goodman is great though and has a great speech halfway through.

96mnc -- taking the clan to see JW movie this weekend ... I have no doubt it will be entertaining.

Saw the 2008 American remake of the film "Shutter" recently on cable for the first time. It's a horror/ghost movie and I give it a "thumbs up" for a fairly original addition to typical ghost/horror movies. It's hinted at some points in the movie, but the final scene is something I have never seen before in the ghost/horror genre. If you like that type of film, check it out. It has it's flaws, but, plenty of creepy moments and as I noted above, the end is different, and plenty creepy to think about if a person has ever wronged someone and they seek to haunt ya ...

96mnc -- taking the clan to see JW movie this weekend ... I have no doubt it will be entertaining.

Saw the 2008 American remake of the film "Shutter" recently on cable for the first time. It's a horror/ghost movie and I give it a "thumbs up" for a fairly original addition to typical ghost/horror movies. It's hinted at some points in the movie, but the final scene is something I have never seen before in the ghost/horror genre. If you like that type of film, check it out. It has it's flaws, but, plenty of creepy moments and as I noted above, the end is different, and plenty creepy to think about if a person has ever wronged someone and they seek to haunt ya ...

You can't really call it original if it's a remake no?

But that movie is terrible. The original is decent.

Saw John Wick this weekend. It was surprisingly good for it's genre. Good fight scenes, decent acting.

Also saw Age of Ultron for the second time. Didn't hold up nearly as well on a second viewing. A good movie a sequel to the first Avengers movie though.

Anyone seeing the new Terminator flick?

Bump for Terminator feeback.

BTW, totally buying Affleck as Batman now after seeing this trailer. A dead Robin costume? Awesome...Not buying Gail Gabot as Wonder Woman. Not because she isn't hot enough, it's because she isn't ripped enough. Would have been better off getting an young Ashley Horner type and teaching her to act.

And the Suicide Squad movie looks awesome. Jared Leto as Killing Joke Style/era Joker was the way to go. Harley Quinn looks perfect. Actually think I might be looking forward to this movie more than Dawn of Justice.