Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Patrick Bateman

Movie Thread

It Follows is amazing if you're into horror at all.

Not a horror guy. Just not my jam.

Saw Terminator. If you go in with low expectations and looking for a bit of nostalgia with Arnold you'll be happy. If you go in expecting anything more you'll be disappointed.

The Wet Hot American Summer show on Netflix is pretty good if you like the movie.

So rare to find a decent horror movie, all the reviews look stellar. Can't wait to see it.

Another good fairly recent movie for horror fans is Oculus.

Sicario.

Any good?

Yes

Ant Man just came out in China and I really liked it. One of the better superhero movies IMO.

Ant Man just came out in China and I really liked it. One of the better superhero movies IMO.

I thought so as well.

This looks like a complete pile of s**t, but people seem to be excited about it.

The Revenant looks like it is gonna be pretty badass. Would be nice if Leo got his much deserved Oscar.

Haha, I like being Debbie Downer about Star Wars because it's the single most overrated franchise known to mankind. Any grown man who gets excited for that s**t should be ashamed. Who cares?

"Star Wars" is the boring, escapist kind of film that set the template for all of the boring, CGI-laden films we see now. I can't stand the franchise or what it represents. It represents the precursor to what, IMO, is most of the horses**t filmmaking we see now. I just think it's massively overrated by a bunch of fanboys who I don't identify with at all. There are about a million more interesting things people could see, but they see to choose this crap. It just flat out sucks. It is the grandfather to all of the superhero/CGI garbage we see now. There's no creativity to any of this, just an assembly-line product for the masses who will eat it up. Just my opinion. I'm sure almost everyone disagrees with me and I'm fine with it haha.

"Star Wars" is the boring, escapist kind of film that set the template for all of the boring, CGI-laden films we see now. I can't stand the franchise or what it represents. It represents the precursor to what, IMO, is most of the horses**t filmmaking we see now. I just think it's massively overrated by a bunch of fanboys who I don't identify with at all. There are about a million more interesting things people could see, but they see to choose this crap. It just flat out sucks. It is the grandfather to all of the superhero/CGI garbage we see now. There's no creativity to any of this, just an assembly-line product for the masses who will eat it up. Just my opinion. I'm sure almost everyone disagrees with me and I'm fine with it haha.

tumblr_m5ge9a6cyR1qjfkxmo1_500.gif

Interesting argument.

Did Star Wars change film-making or would film-making have changed anyway? One could argue that CGI was also used in other productions, and technological advancements in film-making would have eventually been pushed by production studios at some point. Star Wars showed the limits of what could be accomplished with CGI, but they weren't exactly pioneers, were they?

One thing is for sure: Star Wars definitely set a new standard for the commercialization, marketing and monetization of films. You could build a whole other industry around the movie; think of all the Star Wars merchandise and memorabilia that went on shelves all across the world. Toys-R-Us could have entire aisles filled with nothing but Star Wars junk. This s--- also appeals to more than one demographic. I'd argue that this is the main reason why you still see a lot of CGI-inspired nonsense these days; they create and take advantage of so many different revenue streams. I guess this is also why Star Wars will keep getting rehashed every 10 years, they do a have a dedicated fan-base.

I'm not a big Star Wars fan, i liked the original trilogy, and that's about it. Even the original trilogy wasn't that special, just The Empire Strikes Back...this movie pretty much carries the franchise by itself and still has some appeal to the casual movie-watcher

Interesting argument.

Did Star Wars change film-making or would film-making have changed anyway? One could argue that CGI was also used in other productions, and technological advancements in film-making would have eventually been pushed by production studios at some point. Star Wars showed the limits of what could be accomplished with CGI, but they weren't exactly pioneers, were they?

One thing is for sure: Star Wars definitely set a new standard for the commercialization, marketing and monetization of films. You could build a whole other industry around the movie; think of all the Star Wars merchandise and memorabilia that went on shelves all across the world. Toys-R-Us could have entire aisles filled with nothing but Star Wars junk. This s--- also appeals to more than one demographic. I'd argue that this is the main reason why you still see a lot of CGI-inspired nonsense these days; they create and take advantage of so many different revenue streams. I guess this is also why Star Wars will keep getting rehashed every 10 years, they do a have a dedicated fan-base.

I'm not a big Star Wars fan, i liked the original trilogy, and that's about it. Even the original trilogy wasn't that special, just The Empire Strikes Back...this movie pretty much carries the franchise by itself and still has some appeal to the casual movie-watcher

Empire is in my top 5 movies of all time.

Yeah, Empire is a classic. You don't even have to care about the genre or the franchise to enjoy it, and that's the beauty of it.

Which are the other 4?

We should have a thread where everyone shares their top 10 movies

Yeah, Empire is a classic. You don't even have to care about the genre or the franchise to enjoy it, and that's the beauty of it.

Which are the other 4?

American Beauty

The Dark Knight

What About Bob?

Very Bad Things

HM

Donnie Darko

Old School

Feel like I'm forgetting a couple...

Which are the other 4?

American Beauty

The Dark Knight

What About Bob?

Very Bad Things

HM

Donnie Darko

Old School

Feel like I'm forgetting a couple...

Very Bad Things is criminally underrated.

Really looking forward to seeing this. I hope they don't mess this up like the prequals though. I remember thinking that the Phantom Menace looked really good when the trailer came out for that. Didn't quite work out that well. I am, however, a huge fan of the original 3, with Empire Strikes Back probably being my favorite all time movie.

Anyone see Spectre yet? I heard it was disappointing and hilariously unrealistic (even for a Bond movie!), but I've heard from others that it was decent. What's the verdict?