Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Patrick Bateman

Movie Thread

How many of you have seen The Prestige? Loved that movie. Memento was great too. My all time favorite might be We Were Soldiers

Anyone see Spectre yet? I heard it was disappointing and hilariously unrealistic (even for a Bond movie!), but I've heard from others that it was decent. What's the verdict?

It was quintessential bond. If you watch bond for being bond and temper your 'scientific yeah that could happen' mind set then you would enjoy it. I liked it, but I am biased because I used to watch bond marathons on TBS with my old man back in the day.

I watched the martian and did not like it (simply because I read the book, and as usual the book >>> movie).

Don't bother watching The Revenant. Garbage.

For those interested, here's my review. It hasn't been released yet, but I watched a leaked version online. Reviews for this movie are currently embargoed, but you can take my word for it.

The pointlessness of the Revenant can be summed up with a line said by Tom Hardy's character, Fitzgerald, in the movie's final scene: "You came all this way just for your revenge, huh? Aint nuttin' gonna bring yer boy back....". The taunt directed at di Caprio's character might as well have been directed at the audience; "You came all this way thinking you'd see a good movie, huh? Aint nuttin' gonna bring your 2 and a half hours back...".

Prior to this wholly predictable clash, our protagonist is a frontiersman, Luke Glass (di Caprio) leading a group of fur trappers in the wild, among them his half-native American son. Their group of 7 narrowly escapes an ambush, taking refuge deep inside the woods, where Glass falls victim to a gruesome grizzly-bear attack (as seen in the trailer). Having barely survived, and rendered immobile, he is cared for by the men - until they feel they can no longer afford to carry him. The leader of the group (Bridger) offers a reward of $300 to the 3 men who volunteer to stay behind and look after him - an obnoxious Texan named Fitzgerald (Tom Hardy), the son, and a weak-willed lackey whose name I can't remember. Fitzgerald's selfishness leads him to kill Glass, an attempt that is thwarted by Glass' son. An annoyed Fitzgerald then kills the resisting son as Glass looks on. Assuming that a badly-injured and immobilized Glass will eventually die on his own, Fitzgerald and the lackey take off...setting up an arduous and nauseatingly boring cat-and-mouse tale of revenge in the Canadian wilderness.

A movie that starts with high-octane, 100 mph action comes to a screeching halt. The story then proceeds to slowly drag on, as our protagonist Glass, crawls around the dark, snowy Canadian wilderness with a husky voice mirroring that of Christian Bale's Batman. What is supposed to be an action movie then transforms into a cinematic rendition of Bear Grylls' Man vs Wild. We get to watch Glass braving the elements - living off the land, eating raw grass, fish and buffalo intestine - and most shockingly; surviving a snow-storm by gutting a dead horse and sleeping inside the carcass -- much like Bear Grylls did with this camel in the Sahara -->

. He also rescues an abducted native American girl along the way. Interspersed among the scenes of extreme survival and heroism, are far too many 'dream sequences' featuring his interracial family, and specifically, his deceased native American wife. Glass is no ordinary white man. While the majority of white colonisers were wiping out the natives, this guy somehow pursued a relationship with a native woman and learned the language fluently. It's OK, he is one of the good guys. Glass' thirst for revenge is portrayed as a labor of LOVE, and an opposition to the racist and selfish Fitzgerald.

Glass' many feats of love-fuelled survival - including a surprisingly quick overnight recovery after falling off a cliff - would eventually pay off. He reunites with his group at their base, and they return to convict Fitzgerald of murder, only to discover that the now-endangered Texan robbed the safe and fled. Glass, now shorn of any fear, follows and finds Fitzgerald. They fight by the ravine; where Glass comes very close to killing him, but has an epiphany (in native American language no less) that revenge is best left to be decided by the gods. He magnanimously lets [an already half-dead] Fitzgerald float down the river, only to watch him intercepted by a cavalry of native Americans who mercilessly kill him. The natives spare Glass.

Ultimately, this was an epiphany that arrived 2 hours too late - if revenge was best left to be decided by the gods - why couldn't this have occurred to Glass earlier? It would have spared him a great deal of grief and difficulty. In this case, his revenge was a by-product of his love, but the catalyst for his survival. So was it worth it? Maybe it was? Is he already dead at this point? Who knows. This movie is so unnecessarily long and predictably boring, that one doesn't even care in end. Don't waste your money. if you have $15 burning a hole in your pocket, you can order 2 large, three-topping pizzas from Dominos...now THAT is worth it.

"Star Wars" is the boring, escapist kind of film that set the template for all of the boring, CGI-laden films we see now. I can't stand the franchise or what it represents. It represents the precursor to what, IMO, is most of the horses**t filmmaking we see now. I just think it's massively overrated by a bunch of fanboys who I don't identify with at all. There are about a million more interesting things people could see, but they see to choose this crap. It just flat out sucks. It is the grandfather to all of the superhero/CGI garbage we see now. There's no creativity to any of this, just an assembly-line product for the masses who will eat it up. Just my opinion. I'm sure almost everyone disagrees with me and I'm fine with it haha.

The original trilogy was good story telling that happened to be in space.

The second trilogy (1, 2 and 3) were fairly awful.

The new movie is brutally bad when it comes to developing the new characters and telling a new story.

TL;DR they're getting worse.

Lol a lot of negative reviews in this thread. A bit belated, but The Martian was a disappointment for me. Not bad per se, but just dull, hollow, safe, and predictable. I'm convinced the studios lobbied the critics to give the film such favorable reviews. Similar films (in certain respects) such as Cast Away, Apollo 13, Interstellar, and Gravity were much more compelling.

Lol a lot of negative reviews in this thread. A bit belated, but The Martian was a disappointment for me. Not bad per se, but just dull, hollow, safe, and predictable. I'm convinced the studios lobbied the critics to give the film such favorable reviews. Similar films (in certain respects) such as Cast Away, Apollo 13, Interstellar, and Gravity were much more compelling.

Intersellar for the win...

So Deadpool was hilarious. My stomach hurts, really enjoyed the change from the usual comic book movie

American Beauty was very good

Home was bad

Lawless was OK

American Beauty is one of the most overrated movies of all time IMO.

Lawless was entertaining.

What's Home?

Just saw Hail Caesar last night. Kind of weird but I really enjoyed it. A lot of good performances and touching on a really cool era in my opinion.

Just saw Hail Caesar last night. Kind of weird but I really enjoyed it. A lot of good performances and touching on a really cool era in my opinion.

Weird in general? Coen brother movies are always a bit tilted. Or weird for a Coen brothers movie?

Deadpool delivers, boys and girls. Irreverent as hell and bitingly funny.... As long as you understand who the character is, it's a fun time.

I haven't seen Deadpool yet but all four people I know who have have given it rave reviews.

Just watched "A Most Wanted Man". Not the best performance of the late great Phillip Seymour-Hoffman but plot is okay and some interesting characters.

Weird in general? Coen brother movies are always a bit tilted. Or weird for a Coen brothers movie?

Deadpool delivers, boys and girls. Irreverent as hell and bitingly funny.... As long as you understand who the character is, it's a fun time.

In general, nothing rose to the level fo weirder than a Coen Brothers movie.

I wanted to see Deadpool but the wife didnt think it would make a very good valentines day movie...

American Beauty was very good

Home was bad

Lawless was OK

American Beauty is one of the most overrated movies of all time IMO.

Lawless was entertaining.

What's Home?

Home was a childrens animated movie about an alien species invading earth. Was pretty weak and unfunny I thought.

Watched some documentaries recently

The Imposter

Merchants of Doubt

Kumare

The Overnighters

All fantastic