Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Patrick Bateman

Movie Thread

Did you guys happen to see the rotten review by the Boston Herald?

"The worst offender here is composer Hans Zimmer, who might as well show up at every showing of this film and bang everyone in the audience over the head with his drum set."

Thought that was funny.

Batman was laughably bad. Yikes

Yea i dont think it was as good as many of us had hoped. My reasoning behing this is that Nolan just set the bar too high with 2 and wanting something better just wasnt going to happen. Alone, Rises is a good(not great) movie. Hardy and Hathaway acted very well, but there just wasnt that 'WOW' factor for this movie. All in all i enjoyed it, but it didnt thrust me off of my seat.

What did you guys think about the Superman trailer? Im kind of dissapointed there wasnt any SLO MO. :lol:

Ha. I didn't even like the 2nd one. I thought it was too chaotic and all over the place. Despite the positive reviews, I'm not encouraged that the 3rd one will any better.

I did love Batman Begins though...

Ha. I didn't even like the 2nd one. I thought it was too chaotic and all over the place. Despite the positive reviews, I'm not encouraged that the 3rd one will any better.

I did love Batman Begins though...

A friend of mine told me that you would have to watch Batman Begins before you watch this one so you can get a better feel of it. I plan on going to see this one tonight.

I just seen Batman for myself and it was great and deserves every single high rating it received. A lot of people don't know Ra's Al Ghul so they may not like be so informed as comic book readers. The last Batman with the Joker was so great because he's beloved and Heath Ledger played the hell out of that role so some people's expectations may be too high for this.

Either way watching Batman Begins before watching this is highly recommended.

Im watching "The Neighborhood Watch" tomorrow? Am i in the minority on this one. Looks like it might be incredibly funny.

Just saw Batman last night, thought it was awesome...my only complaint at first was I didn't like Bane's voice, but it grew on me over the course of the film. Bane was an incredible tough character to play given basically his entire face was covered up besides his eyes, meaning...most of acting is to be able to convey certain emotions at times, usually done with facial expressions, tough to do with just your eyes....thought Hardy pretty well though...

Im watching "The Neighborhood Watch" tomorrow? Am i in the minority on this one. Looks like it might be incredibly funny.

Not a big fan of Stiller or Vaughn, as I feel neither one has been in anything good in a long time.

If I do see it, it might be for Richard Ayoade, who was in a show called The IT Crowd that I liked a lot.

Finally saw TDKR in IMAX......The sound and picture quality was impressive. The theater literally shook in places.

***Spoilers****

Overall, I really liked it. It's amazing what inflated expectations can do to a movie about a guy dresses up in a black suit and fights supervillains bent on the description of societies.....I really had to applaud Anne Hathaway. Although I still don't really buy her physicality in the role, I thought she nailed Selina Kyle's internal struggles and her angst and anger at her situation. For a director that generally doesn't write woman well (Memento being a notable exception), this was done well. The supporting characters all brought it. Freeman, Oldman, and especially Caine were spot on. Caine was actually underused. Bane and Tom Hardy. He'll be perpetually undersold as the world looks to compare him to a fallen actor's performance. There was no way he could win, yet I thought he was excellent. Yea, his voice was a little off in places (I could understand almost all of it, maybe b/c it was IMAX), but the acting he did simply with his eyes was overall impressive. His baiting of Batman in the sewers and destruction of him was pure dread. The music. I was suspect on the whole chanting thing but man did it work....The last hour. Wow. Sweeping, exciting, invigorating, touching. It truly was a great viewing experience.

Things I would have changed? The setup. TDK and TDKR both were overwrought with almost too much exposition and too much story to chew through that some of the relationship aspects and the pacing is too fast. The relationship and tryst b/w Miranda Tate was hamfisted and unbelievable. They meet three times and this guy that's been mourning for 8 years just snaps out of it? Nah. Underuse of Oldman and Caine. Oldman in the first half and Caine in the 2nd half. Oldman's journey of carrying the weight of a whole city's lie was very interesting and deserved another scene. Caine just disappears for half the movie. I'll probably get slammed for this, but the John Blake character. I get the whole legacy piece, but I didn't need him. I'm a JGL fan and I thought he did well in his role, but his time on screen took away from everyone else's and led to the shorting of some of the emotional weight of the relationships. I just thought Nolan gave into what gets most Superhero sequels in trouble -- too many characters. I already have Selina Kyle, Bane, and Miranda Tate. I don't need his version of a sidekick or next man up. Although I got it, I think the lack of a time line confused many people. Reading some things online and talking to my friends, most of them came away not understanding certain parts and how chronologically they worked (example: Many didn't understand how Wayne escaped from prison and got back to Gotham in a day). The ending of the villains. The way their characters stories were interwoven was outstanding. The way they were eliminated was laughable.

Overall, a fun viewing experience that probably needed an extra half hour if you wanted to give it a better pace and even give a bit more action. Again, my fix would have been to eliminate the Blake character and not have Gordon layed up in the hospital....Still, the best Superhero trilogy of all-time and a superior achievement in bringing artistic credibility to the source material of comics.

I figured since Robin is now introduced to the public they will bring back Batman and Robin like they did in the 90s.

It's been announced that the Justice League movie is being produced so I figure the Batman and Robin reintroduction will come afterwards.

I figured since Robin is now introduced to the public they will bring back Batman and Robin like they did in the 90s.

It's been announced that the Justice League movie is being produced so I figure the Batman and Robin reintroduction will come afterwards.

Wasn't really an introduction of the canon Robin. Robin was an orphan that came from the circus. IMO, this was a re-imagination of Robin/Nightwing. With Batman "retired", it was left as open ended for the Blake character to take up the mantle when needed as Batman or possibly as a re-imagined Nightwing.

Regardless, DC just offered Justice League to Ben Affleck to direct after Nolan declined. I have no idea how they will do it. Abridged version I would imagine with maybe five of them? Which five? Do you release rebooted movies for the other three or all five as Nolan's version of Batman can't really exist in a JL world. Or can he?

Bane and Tom Hardy. He'll be perpetually undersold as the world looks to compare him to a fallen actor's performance. There was no way he could win, yet I thought he was excellent. Yea, his voice was a little off in places (I could understand almost all of it, maybe b/c it was IMAX), but the acting he did simply with his eyes was overall impressive. His baiting of Batman in the sewers and destruction of him was pure dread.

I thought Bane was by far the best part of this movie. I didnt see the movie in IMAX, just a standard theater and I cant recall any point where I didnt understand him. The accent was a bit different, from what I read he actually modeled it after an old Irish bare knuckle boxer who was a romani gypsy which was pretty interesting. A much different accent than one is used to hearing, ever. The character itself as you said will be held to the standard of Heath Ledgers reprisal of the Joker which is probably unfair. From a character standpoint it was incredibly true to the comic books as far as who and what Bane is, which is a cunning, intelligent, physically dominating character. Too often he is thought of as a mindless brute but is actually a much deeper character than that, it was awesome to see the film version be true to that concept. I agree with the acting ability of Hardy, so much of what he did was just with his eyes and the amount he was able to convey with his eyes, behind the mask was fantastic. Its amazing as well he was able to portray such a physically imposing character as he is not a very large man. I believe he wore 3 inch lifts in his shoes just so he could be as tall or slightly taller than Bale, Cain, Freeman, etc and if Im not mistaken only "bulked up" to 198lbs, the appearance he had at 198lbs was pretty intense!

On a side note, not in the quote. I totally agree the Alfred and the Commissioners roles were underserved in this movie, both are great characters who could have added far more than JGL.

Anybody watch The Bourne Legacy? I really loved the other 3 with Damon and I guess it's dumb not to see this one but no Damon means I'm not seeing it in theaters. I'll eventually see it when it comes on HBO or whatever I suppose. I'm not against rebooting a franchise either but from what I understand, Damon just wanted a break from making them and the studios didn't want that so they went on without him and the director.

Bateman, I gotta say, I'm very shocked at your high review for TDKR. Were my expectations maybe a little too high? Yes, but I saw it a second time with no expectations and it was basically just as bad. I'm at work so I can't give a huge detailed description, but here are my bullet points on my it was bad...

**SPOILERS**

• Bane's voice - For the first hour of the movie, I couldn't understand a word he was saying. Whether or not you could or couldn't, there was a ton of debate about "if you could" and that alone shouldn't happen.
  • Plot - The plot was not really that good.
  • Acting - Yes, there were good parts. I went in thinking Catwoman was going to be a joke and I actually thought she was the best part of the movie. Bain was good, but again, the voice interfered. But are you kidding me with that girl's death scene in the car? "You'll never...get...away...with....this....*dramatic death*" Brutal. How about that police chief who left his house to fight, then died as the car drove past him and we didn't see it. Awful. Not acting but I'm going back and forth now between bullet points so bare with me :)
  • Holes - There were so many holes in this movie it hurt. Batman is trapped in a third world nation in a pit with 18 hours to go until the nuke explodes. He has no money and no means for transportation, yet he shows up just in time? Batman shows up after 8 years and is a suspected murdered of a hero and he's surrounded by cops, fires 2 rockets, and they all watch him drive off? Not one shot? How about that back sugery? Pretty nifty rope technique. Or how about Batman landing punches on Bane in the beginning fight and they did nothing, but at the end he was crushing him. Catwoman fired the gun that cleared a single hole in that pile of cars? No. Police Chief Gordon sending down every cop!?! Dumb.
  • Batman's Stupidity - I don't care that she came through in the end, trusting Catwoman another time after she broke in to your place, kicked your cane over, stole a necklace, stole your car, f'ed you up so many times and you're going to say "THERE'S GOTTA BE MORE TO YOU". Come on. How about the kiss with a minute left to go on a SIX TON NUKE GOING OFF!!!
  • Batman - Ummmm, there was no Batman. A near 3 hour movie and Batman was in it for maybe 15 minutes. He's a cripple and can't fight, yet he puts on a brace and kicks a wall in?
  • Predictability - Seeing the girl turn was a little predictable. And I'm ok with the ending, but again, predictable. It's what I wanted to happen, though I rather he stayed dead.
  • Choreographing - The fight scenes were just awful. In the sewers, the punches looked short and every punch looked bad. You could see them trying to throw punches into each others blocks. Then move on to fight at the end with the two armies. Everyone has guns, yet they charge at each other? Batman drops in the middle of 500 thugs, why wouldn't they all just turn to him and beat the crap out of him. Same goes for Bane. Bane comes in and every cop should stop and turn and just destroy him.
  • Rewatchability - Besides the fact I saw this again with my girlfriend because she never did, I don't think I'll ever watch this movie again. What scenes were actually rewatchable that wowed you? The plane scene was boring, the sewer fight was underwhelming and the army scene was laughable. The final scene was cool, but I wouldn't need to watch it again.
  • Batman Logo - I thought we'd never see it again after the Punisher, but wow. So with no time to spare, Batman got a crap ton of gasoline and trailed it up to the bridge and painted that up there....all so he could warn the bad guys he was coming?
  • Build up - It felt like the entire movie was building up to something, and it never ever came. Not one main character died in what was supposed to be the darkest of them all.

All in all, really just underwhelmed. I thought seeing it again would help, and it did a little, but I don't think there is one scene where I would sit down put it on and watch it because it was so cool.

I say all this knowing to each his own, but I'd love to get in to a good old fashion debate since it's been so long since I've been on these boards :)

Bateman, I gotta say, I'm very shocked at your high review for TDKR. Were my expectations maybe a little too high? Yes, but I saw it a second time with no expectations and it was basically just as bad. I'm at work so I can't give a huge detailed description, but here are my bullet points on my it was bad...

**SPOILERS**

• Bane's voice - For the first hour of the movie, I couldn't understand a word he was saying. Whether or not you could or couldn't, there was a ton of debate about "if you could" and that alone shouldn't happen.
  • Acting - Yes, there were good parts. I went in thinking Catwoman was going to be a joke and I actually thought she was the best part of the movie. Bain was good, but again, the voice interfered. But are you kidding me with that girl's death scene in the car? "You'll never...get...away...with....this....*dramatic death*" Brutal. How about that police chief who left his house to fight, then died as the car drove past him and we didn't see it. Awful. Not acting but I'm going back and forth now between bullet points so bare with me :)
  • Holes - There were so many holes in this movie it hurt. Batman is trapped in a third world nation in a pit with 18 hours to go until the nuke explodes. He has no money and no means for transportation, yet he shows up just in time? Batman shows up after 8 years and is a suspected murdered of a hero and he's surrounded by cops, fires 2 rockets, and they all watch him drive off? Not one shot? How about that back sugery? Pretty nifty rope technique. Or how about Batman landing punches on Bane in the beginning fight and they did nothing, but at the end he was crushing him. Catwoman fired the gun that cleared a single hole in that pile of cars? No. Police Chief Gordon sending down every cop!?! Dumb.
  • Batman's Stupidity - I don't care that she came through in the end, trusting Catwoman another time after she broke in to your place, kicked your cane over, stole a necklace, stole your car, f'ed you up so many times and you're going to say "THERE'S GOTTA BE MORE TO YOU". Come on. How about the kiss with a minute left to go on a SIX TON NUKE GOING OFF!!!
  • Batman - Ummmm, there was no Batman. A near 3 hour movie and Batman was in it for maybe 15 minutes. He's a cripple and can't fight, yet he puts on a brace and kicks a wall in?
  • Predictability - Seeing the girl turn was a little predictable. And I'm ok with the ending, but again, predictable. It's what I wanted to happen, though I rather he stayed dead.
  • Choreographing - The fight scenes were just awful. In the sewers, the punches looked short and every punch looked bad. You could see them trying to throw punches into each others blocks. Then move on to fight at the end with the two armies. Everyone has guns, yet they charge at each other? Batman drops in the middle of 500 thugs, why wouldn't they all just turn to him and beat the crap out of him. Same goes for Bane. Bane comes in and every cop should stop and turn and just destroy him.
  • Rewatchability - Besides the fact I saw this again with my girlfriend because she never did, I don't think I'll ever watch this movie again. What scenes were actually rewatchable that wowed you? The plane scene was boring, the sewer fight was underwhelming and the army scene was laughable. The final scene was cool, but I wouldn't need to watch it again.
  • Batman Logo - I thought we'd never see it again after the Punisher, but wow. So with no time to spare, Batman got a crap ton of gasoline and trailed it up to the bridge and painted that up there....all so he could warn the bad guys he was coming?
  • Build up - It felt like the entire movie was building up to something, and it never ever came. Not one main character died in what was supposed to be the darkest of them all.

All in all, really just underwhelmed. I thought seeing it again would help, and it did a little, but I don't think there is one scene where I would sit down put it on and watch it because it was so cool.

I say all this knowing to each his own, but I'd love to get in to a good old fashion debate since it's been so long since I've been on these boards :)

Hmmm......I think debate is good. If you didn't like it, that's cool. As counterpoints to a few of your thoughts, I will leave this:

Bane's voice -- Again, I saw it in IMAX, where the sound quality is about as good as possible in today's movies. Other than actually being too loud in places, I had no problems hearing him nor did I find him intelligible for the most part. Can't intelligently speak to your viewing experience.

Plot -- :lol: There were certainly some plot deficiencies or holes. The main one for me is who sends their entire police force into the sewer system??? That doesn't make any sense from a military tactical standpoint. You would bottleneck your larger force, give up the high ground and give home court advantage to your opponent. Why not tactically counter strike them with smaller (SWAT?) attacking forces and cut off their supply lines? I think they wanted a swift end to the terror by using a larger force, but it was a bit silly for a smart guy to be ordering this. That said, I can't speak to your criticism without knowing more of why you felt that way. The overall story was a merger of two tales from Frank Miller, The Dark Night Returns and Knightfall. These are often considered two of Batman's greatest stories.

Acting -- Talia's death was definitely groan worthy. But you brought up one 10 second clip in a 160 minute movie. Have you seen how most Superhero movies are acted? Did you see the overacting in The Avengers (which I also like very much)? I didn't cite Cotillard's work in this movie b/c while I understand her character's necessity in the story, I didn't think she was given much to do. Caine was great. As was Oldman. Bale's Batman will probably go down as one of the greatest superhero depiction in recent history, despite his voice. Hathaway and JGL were very good. Not sure why your letting one scene color an entire opinion of the overall acting in the movie.

Holes -- Definitely were some. No argument. I already cited a couple. I can help you with the timeline. Wayne doesn't escape the hole with only 18 hours left. It's about 3 weeks, and I agree that Nolan's lack of clarity on the time line confused some folks, you included. I don't remember back surgery. In this version, Bane doesn't actually break Wayne's back, but damages it. Look, the story is about a guy who dresses up in black cape and ears. It's a superhero tale and will have some extraordinary parts of it.

Example. I was watching Ironman the other day and they showed a scene in where RDJ was building the suit and testing his thrusters for the first time. He doesn't understand the thrust intensity and puts it at 10% which flips him, makes him hit against a concrete wall at about 70 MPH and then fall 20 feet to the marble floor. Remember that Stark is human too. In reality, he would have broken his back or neck and either died, been a quad, or been in traction for about 3 months. He gets a small scratch on his face. If you want exact physical or weaponry realism, then I would suggest bypassing the entire genre.

Batman's Stupidity -- Sounds like you have more of problem with the Catwoman/Batman dynamic overall. Batman has always been a sucker for the duplicitous Selina Kyle. Their personality similarities and shared kismet spirits is what the relationship is based upon. Both damaged to the core to the point of creating separate personas. Nolan's Kyle is much more pragmatic but damaged nonetheless. And very capable which is what impresses an extremely bored Wayne, at that point.

Predictability -- Probably my biggest criticism, but since I was so familiar with the source material, that was simply my cross to bear. I knew exactly who each of the players were so there were very few surprises although I did enjoy the backstory they gave to Bane -- which is new.

Batman Logo -- Again, your timeline isn't accurate. Was it a little cheesy? Probably. Looked to be more of a rallying symbol to me.

Build up -- Looks like you wanted an epic death. I agree that Bane and Tate's demises were ultimately unremarkable but I did enjoy the idea of sacrifice and giving Gotham a true hero to rally behind in the ultimate sacrifice. Again, a faked death is part of The Dark Knight Returns story (albeit very different).

Not sure what you expected. There are multiple leaps you must make in the prior two. Still, I enjoyed it, especially the last hour, but its a movie with flaws. The genre is one of the extraordinary so to have a director want to try and root it in some sense of reality is refereshing. Ultimately, it fell victim to what a lot of sequels and hero franchises suffer from -- excess. Too many characters and multiple arcs make it a bit unwieldy. Think about other superhero movies and how they all have 2-3 bad guys in sequels. Or think of action sequels and how they have too many characters. Bigger isn't always better, but I still enjoyed this movie and for blowing stuff up, it was fun.....To each his own though.

**SPOILERS**

Hmmm......I think debate is good. If you didn't like it, that's cool. As counterpoints to a few of your thoughts, I will leave this:

Bane's voice -- Again, I saw it in IMAX, where the sound quality is about as good as possible in today's movies. Other than actually being too loud in places, I had no problems hearing him nor did I find him intelligible for the most part. Can't intelligently speak to your viewing experience.

Plot -- :lol: There were certainly some plot deficiencies or holes. The main one for me is who sends their entire police force into the sewer system??? That doesn't make any sense from a military tactical standpoint. You would bottleneck your larger force, give up the high ground and give home court advantage to your opponent. Why not tactically counter strike them with smaller (SWAT?) attacking forces and cut off their supply lines? I think they wanted a swift end to the terror by using a larger force, but it was a bit silly for a smart guy to be ordering this. That said, I can't speak to your criticism without knowing more of why you felt that way. The overall story was a merger of two tales from Frank Miller, The Dark Night Returns and Knightfall. These are often considered two of Batman's greatest stories.

Acting -- Talia's death was definitely groan worthy. But you brought up one 10 second clip in a 160 minute movie. Have you seen how most Superhero movies are acted? Did you see the overacting in The Avengers (which I also like very much)? I didn't cite Cotillard's work in this movie b/c while I understand her character's necessity in the story, I didn't think she was given much to do. Caine was great. As was Oldman. Bale's Batman will probably go down as one of the greatest superhero depiction in recent history, despite his voice. Hathaway and JGL were very good. Not sure why your letting one scene color an entire opinion of the overall acting in the movie.

Holes -- Definitely were some. No argument. I already cited a couple. I can help you with the timeline. Wayne doesn't escape the hole with only 18 hours left. It's about 3 weeks, and I agree that Nolan's lack of clarity on the time line confused some folks, you included. I don't remember back surgery. In this version, Bane doesn't actually break Wayne's back, but damages it. Look, the story is about a guy who dresses up in black cape and ears. It's a superhero tale and will have some extraordinary parts of it.

Example. I was watching Ironman the other day and they showed a scene in where RDJ was building the suit and testing his thrusters for the first time. He doesn't understand the thrust intensity and puts it at 10% which flips him, makes him hit against a concrete wall at about 70 MPH and then fall 20 feet to the marble floor. Remember that Stark is human too. In reality, he would have broken his back or neck and either died, been a quad, or been in traction for about 3 months. He gets a small scratch on his face. If you want exact physical or weaponry realism, then I would suggest bypassing the entire genre.

Batman's Stupidity -- Sounds like you have more of problem with the Catwoman/Batman dynamic overall. Batman has always been a sucker for the duplicitous Selina Kyle. Their personality similarities and shared kismet spirits is what the relationship is based upon. Both damaged to the core to the point of creating separate personas. Nolan's Kyle is much more pragmatic but damaged nonetheless. And very capable which is what impresses an extremely bored Wayne, at that point.

Predictability -- Probably my biggest criticism, but since I was so familiar with the source material, that was simply my cross to bear. I knew exactly who each of the players were so there were very few surprises although I did enjoy the backstory they gave to Bane -- which is new.

Batman Logo -- Again, your timeline isn't accurate. Was it a little cheesy? Probably. Looked to be more of a rallying symbol to me.

Build up -- Looks like you wanted an epic death. I agree that Bane and Tate's demises were ultimately unremarkable but I did enjoy the idea of sacrifice and giving Gotham a true hero to rally behind in the ultimate sacrifice. Again, a faked death is part of The Dark Knight Returns story (albeit very different).

Not sure what you expected. There are multiple leaps you must make in the prior two. Still, I enjoyed it, especially the last hour, but its a movie with flaws. The genre is one of the extraordinary so to have a director want to try and root it in some sense of reality is refereshing. Ultimately, it fell victim to what a lot of sequels and hero franchises suffer from -- excess. Too many characters and multiple arcs make it a bit unwieldy. Think about other superhero movies and how they all have 2-3 bad guys in sequels. Or think of action sequels and how they have too many characters. Bigger isn't always better, but I still enjoyed this movie and for blowing stuff up, it was fun.....To each his own though.

Awesome. Been a good couple years since I had a debate like this. I'm not familiar with the two stories it was based off of, so that can be an issue on my end. Expectations and clutter definitely also fit in to the let down that I felt. As for the timeline issue, I remember looking for this part specifically because it didn't make sense. I believe the scene ended with Bane saying there are 18 hours left, then the next scene had Batman trying to escape. Maybe it wasn't supposed to be viewed as bang/bang, but like you said, Nolan didn't do the best of jobs portraying it.

Yes, I'll admit I was looking for a death. But when people come out and say it's the best of the trilogy and that it's the darkest so far, I'm expecting a lot.

A few other points I'm just going to spit out since any paragraph would be very jumbled.

I would have loved a reference to the Joker. I do feel like a name drop of sorts would at least have excited the audience. Think about maybe in jail, they show Selina walking down and at the end of the hallway is a dark cell. Can't see anything, but as that scene ended all you heard was the Joker's laugh. Would be an awesome throw in for the fans.

When I said back surgery, I meant the rope technique the pit-master did. Very strange.

The scene where Bane's men broke into Fox's weapon room. They blew the ground out, and it was revealed Bane's lair was underneath that room. No security measures for an immense arsenal of weapons? Nobody checked underneath every for some sort of trip wire? Furthermore, isn't that room on the 50th floor or something? How can you go from sewers to that high?

All in all, while I know I need to suspend belief in certain aspects of a superhero movie (like you said, it's a guy in a cape dress as a bat), certain things just stood out too much for me to pass it by. It's unfortunate as I've now been crushed by X-3, Spidey 3 and Batman 3. Pirates 3 was no better. I definitely agree that the main culprit for these movies are too much inclusion. Spidey had 4 main guys, Batman had a lot going on and not very linear, and X-3 had about a trillion mutants all with a role. Needless to say, I am refusing to believe a 3rd part of a trilogy will ever be good again.

Good stuff though, PB!

Yellow, Nick Cassavetes' new film that premieres at the 2012 Toronto International Film Festival, September 6-16 is fast turning out to be a must watch film at the festival this year. Described as a wildly inventive and visually dazzling head trip by Piers Handling, co-director of the festival, Yellow is a searing take on modern society and the demands it makes on people. The film tells the story of Mary Holmes, (Heather Wahlquist), a young substitute teacher who escapes from her drudging everyday life by fantasizing bizarre parallel realities. We enter her hallucinatory world, peopled with Busby Berkeley dancers, Cirque du Soleil, Circus freaks, and human farm animals where nothing is quite what it seems.

“Yellow” isn’t a movie about redemption or triumph or cure, so if you’re looking for that, you’ve probably come to the wrong place," says Nick Cassavetes. " It’s just a story of how Mary deals with her everyday life. Yeah, the bottom’s going to fall out, and probably soon, but that’s for another story," he says.

"Film like Yellow aren't easy to make or finance. It's world premiere at Toronto is a triumph of Independent cinema, ." ," says Manu Kumaran, the producer of the film of Yellow.

Presented by Medient Yellow features Heather Wahlquist, Seinna Miller, Milaine Griffith, Gena Rowlands, Lucy Punch, Ray Liota David Morse, Max Theoriot, Riley Keough, Daveigh Chase and Evan Suplee.

So has anyone checked out The Hobbit? Some are calling it the blunder of the century, while others are arguing the underwhelming response is due to it being held to an impossibly high standard.

And speaking of high standards, Django Unchainedi and Zero Dark Thirty (directed by Bigelow, of The Hurt Locker fame) are both being heaped with praise so far. Django is being called Quentin's most layered movie, if not necessarily his best (I don't think Pulp Fiction will ever be knocked off that hill).

Also, Guillermo del Toro just made a splash with the first official trailer of Pacific Rim - his first movie in 5 years. Check it out for yourself:

I'm not sure what to think. On one hand, GDT has yet to disappoint; on the other, robots, monsters, and explosions aren't exactly a proven winning formula (critically speaking). However, it is important to note that before taking on this project, GDT wanted to film At the Mountains of Madness as a tribute to the Lovecraftian opera - he's a huge fan. Long story short: eventually, the project came to a standstill due to creative differences between the suits at universal and GDT, and so he moved on to this. Here's the interesting part: The appearance of fantastical creatures? "It came from deep beneath the sea"? "A portal between dimensions"? R'lyeh (from Lovecraft's The Call of Cthulhu) is in the Pacific, deep beneath the sea.

It looks like revenge is a dish best served by throwing its contents in one's face. ;)

Ah, I'm glad this thread was bumped.

Recently saw "The Words" ...didn't have the highest expectations for it, but wow, I was blown away. It's definitely one of the better movies I've seen in the last few years. I don't want to discuss too much in detail for obvious reasons, but its a very well written movie that is executed incredibly IMO.

Was just about to bump this thread.....nice timing. Several movies I've seen over the last several weeks:

Argo: Ben Affleck's confirmation movie is what most critics have called it. Excellent job of capturing the time and the feel of Iran at the time. In that, it's a technical achievement. It definitely is a fun thriller and is very watchable. That said, I didn't think it was marvelously better than his last two movies (not a criticism as both are extremely good) from a storytelling perspective, but I think most were impressed by his ability to take on a period piece with such grace. Extremely good performances especially by Arkin, Cranston, and C. Thomas Howell (remember him!). A good move, but I still prefer "Gone Baby, Gone".

Flight: Bobby Zemeckis goes back to where he hates -- directing actual people. The smart thing he did was to select one of the best actors of our generation so that he could concentrate on the technical aspects. Make no mistake from the trailers, this is a character study of a pilot and his substance abuse against the back drop of an extraordinary event. Denzel is amazing and deserves consideration for every acting award available for a portrayal that could easily be overacted. Instead, his subtlety (one scene excluded) is affecting on a visceral level if you've ever known anyone that has suffered from these demons. Supporting actors are solid, but this is Denzel's show and he is on his game. The actual crash cockpit scene is extremely tense and cool. Again, don't get suckered by the trailers, this isn't some sort of story about the media, our hero worship culture, or some sort of mystery story of the cause of a plane crash. While there are small elements of each, this is solely a tale of one man and the crosses he bears. Very good movie, but you will be depressed as you come out.

Skyfall: If you like Bond, you'll like Skyfall. They continue with the rebooting of Bond as a more blunt and hard core agent. The story does introduce some new takes of the more familiar and classic characters and there is a sense of playfulness while giving nods to Bond's past. A sense of nostalgia, if you will, but the new Bond still isn't the suave, cool, cheeky charmer of the 70-90's. He's a killer and now comfortable with his station in the world. Judi Dench, as M, is the other key character in the movie and she's always on point as a sarcastic, lonely, and hardened woman weary of her duties but driven by her sense of loyalty. She is a patriot, in the greatest sense. The best part of the movie is Javier Bardem, who will now be offered every bad guy role for the rest of his career when you couple this performance and Chigurh. He steals every scene that he's in and as the movie goes on, you find yourself actually hoping he gets away, only to have him in future movies. Great performance and he doesn't get enough screen time. Really good Bond film (top 10).

Can't wait to see a few more films this holiday season like The Hobbit, Jack Reacher, and I have heard that Silver Linings Playbook is very good. Still need to see Lincoln. I also look forward to getting the big summer movie previews for next year! Here is one the debuted that is a must see for me next summer:

Hell's yea!!!

Skyfall: If you like Bond, you'll like Skyfall. They continue with the rebooting of Bond as a more blunt and hard core agent. The story does introduce some new takes of the more familiar and classic characters and there is a sense of playfulness while giving nods to Bond's past. A sense of nostalgia, if you will, but the new Bond still isn't the suave, cool, cheeky charmer of the 70-90's. He's a killer and now comfortable with his station in the world. Judi Dench, as M, is the other key character in the movie and she's always on point as a sarcastic, lonely, and hardened woman weary of her duties but driven by her sense of loyalty. She is a patriot, in the greatest sense. The best part of the movie is Javier Bardem, who will now be offered every bad guy role for the rest of his career when you couple this performance and Chigurh. He steals every scene that he's in and as the movie goes on, you find yourself actually hoping he gets away, only to have him in future movies. Great performance and he doesn't get enough screen time. Really good Bond film (top 10).

I hear top 10 is selling it short. Apparently it's arguably the best Bond film ever.

I haven't seen it yet, but I can't say I'm surprised - Sam Mendes is an excellent director.

Re: Skyfall, I prefer Casino Royale, only because of the regenesis of Bond, well, it was transformative.

What Skyfall does, however, is re-affirm Daniel Craig as the best Bond since Connery, hands-down, and perhaps even better <waits for the senior citizens to raise a rebellion..except Connery fans are mostly shut-ins>. And yeah, Bardem was just awesome. The character development wasn't as deep as Casino Royale (it never can be when it's a build on the 1st), but unlike Quantum of Solace, it wasn't just special effects, angry Bond, more special effects. Great story, great side characters, and great foe. Gotta say for future Bond movies...

I really like the transition to Ralph Fiennes as M and Naomi Wilson as Moneypenny - good segues into future films IMO

Man. I usually agree w you two on most things, but I thought this last Bond wasn't very good BECAUSE of the villian. Felt like they spent so much time devoted to historical bond references (which were pretty cool) that the story itself suffered. My quick takes:

Loved the reintroduction of old characters, and the new song is instantly one of the best bond tunes yet. The opening, w the music, felt like Connery.

Was unimpressed by the gadget factor, and the bond girl. Not nearly enough of either to really qualify.

The villian to me seemed off, as well as a re used idea. trying to avoid being a movie spoiler but think Goldeneye revised, if you get my drift.

Having an action scene w M seemed wrong to me.

Not a fan of Q.

Car scene was cool, wouldve liked to see more with it actually