Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Patrick Bateman

Movie Thread

So has anyone checked out The Hobbit? Some are calling it the blunder of the century, while others are arguing the underwhelming response is due to it being held to an impossibly high standard.

And speaking of high standards, Django Unchainedi and Zero Dark Thirty (directed by Bigelow, of The Hurt Locker fame) are both being heaped with praise so far. Django is being called Quentin's most layered movie, if not necessarily his best (I don't think Pulp Fiction will ever be knocked off that hill).

Also, Guillermo del Toro just made a splash with the first official trailer of Pacific Rim - his first movie in 5 years. Check it out for yourself:

I'm not sure what to think. On one hand, GDT has yet to disappoint; on the other, robots, monsters, and explosions aren't exactly a proven winning formula (critically speaking). However, it is important to note that before taking on this project, GDT wanted to film At the Mountains of Madness as a tribute to the Lovecraftian opera - he's a huge fan. Long story short: eventually, the project came to a standstill due to creative differences between the suits at universal and GDT, and so he moved on to this. Here's the interesting part: The appearance of fantastical creatures? "It came from deep beneath the sea"? "A portal between dimensions"? R'lyeh (from Lovecraft's The Call of Cthulhu) is in the Pacific, deep beneath the sea.

It looks like revenge is a dish best served by throwing its contents in one's face. ;)

That movie looks awesome. Probably not a great story, but the visuals and action seems great. Part Godzilla, part transformer!? How can you go wrong? :)

...is taken 2 any good? I loved the first one.

I loved Taken, but i read reviews that Taken 2 was horrible.

"Lincoln" and "Flight" are both excellent. "Skyfall" is solid, nothing too memorable though. "Argo" a terrific film in a lot of ways, but Ben Affleck delivers another AWFUL performance. A higher-caliber actor in the lead role would have enhanced the film even more, but it's still very good.

"The Master" is a bizarre, but fascinating film. Joaquin Phoenix and PSH give riveting performances, but the narrative falls apart in the last 45 minutes. Not PT Anderson's finest film, but still very much worth seeing. A film you can discuss for hours afterwards.

I loved Lincoln. DDL does it again, man can that guy act!

Skyfall was great. It was easier to relate to Bonde, since he was being questioned as too old for the job and his resurrection into the greatest secret agent ever throughout the movie was great. The villain was a bit "Batman-y", but he freaked me out, and i knew he was the villain which i liked.

Watched Red Dawn. Terrible movie. Just wait to catch it on TNT.

Wreck it Ralph was awesome for all us nerds out there! Definitely one of my favorite movies, ever!

If anyone is into foreign movies, i watched the korean movie, "werewolf boy" last night.

Overall, it was a pretty solid movie. Had some little funny quirks, solid relationship between the main actors, and cheezy romace (almost required for all korean movies!).

After rereading some of these bond opinions, I just have to say that the Home Alone 2 style ending is what I think ruined it for me.

Django was crazy! Definately recommend. Dicaprio is amazing, and the humor used in the movie is really unique. Its also pretty gruesome. Basically, a Tarantino movie. Guy knows how to make movies.

That's perfect. "Dark Knight Rises" really wasn't very good, yet everyone still seems to love it. As with any great director, it seems like people blindly love anything Chris Nolan does. He's made some great films, but "Dark Knight Rises" certainly wasn't. Nolan could make a two hour movie of someone taking a dump, and the huge Nolan fans would blindly laud its brilliance.

That's perfect. "Blank Movie" really wasn't very good, yet everyone still seems to love it. As with any great director, it seems like people blindly love anything blank director does. He's made some great films, but "Blank Movie" certainly wasn't. Blank Director could make a two hour movie of someone taking a dump, and the huge Blank Director fans would blindly laud its brilliance.

fify. As you stated. Woody Allen films? No thanks. Scorcese? Never made a bad movie. Lumet? Hasn't made a great film in 30 years and good one in 25. It's what makes movies great, opinions will always vary.....

BTW, list for most movie mistakes of the year is out......Skyfall was #2, Batman and Spiderman tied for #3, and Avengers #5. Not surprising that these big budget behemoths would have a lot oversights....

And #1? With almost twice as many mistakes as Skyfall.......MIB3. Have to take their word, haven't seen it. I'd think the biggest mistake was actually making it.

http://movies.yahoo....-023655687.html

That's perfect. "Blank Movie" really wasn't very good, yet everyone still seems to love it. As with any great director, it seems like people blindly love anything blank director does. He's made some great films, but "Blank Movie" certainly wasn't. Blank Director could make a two hour movie of someone taking a dump, and the huge Blank Director fans would blindly laud its brilliance.

fify. As you stated. Woody Allen films? No thanks. Scorcese? Never made a bad movie. Lumet? Hasn't made a great film in 30 years and good one in 25. It's what makes movies great, opinions will always vary.....

BTW, list for most movie mistakes of the year is out......Skyfall was #2, Batman and Spiderman tied for #3, and Avengers #5. Not surprising that these big budget behemoths would have a lot oversights....

And #1? With almost twice as many mistakes as Skyfall.......MIB3. Have to take their word, haven't seen it. I'd think the biggest mistake was actually making it.

That's true. However, Nolan is getting into that Kubrick territory, where it feels like the hardcore fans just regard everything he does as a masterpiece. Most Kubrick fanatics will tell you films like "Barry Lyndon", "Full Metal Jacket", and "The Shining" are masterpieces. If those movies were not made by Kubrick, they would be viewed as good, but flawed, films. I know some fanatical Nolan fans, and they were just gushing about "Dark Knight Rises". Just some interesting parallels.

Scorsese, for example, is a bit different. Everyone who's into movies thinks Scorsese is one of the best of all-time, that's obvious. But you don't hear people fanatically defending his lesser films. "New York, New York", "Bringing Out the Dead", and "Cape Fear", for example, are not great movies, and you rarely hear film fans refer to them as hidden masterpieces. Or Joel Coen is another example. He's made great films. But you certainly don't hear people raving about Coen's crappier movies, like "The Ladykillers" or "Intolerable Cruelty".

However, Nolan, along with PT Anderson, are entering that territory that Kubrick occupies IMO, where everything is blindly regarded as a masterpiece. I'm more of an Anderson fan than I am of Nolan, but I can certainly admit "The Master", for example, was far from great. The second half of that movie was an absolute mess.

Anyway, interesting discussion in this thread. Too bad people don't more actively post in it.

I love lists like these! Kind of funny people did not notice many of these. I remember watching X-Men 3 and there is a scene when Wolverine gets shot with a needle that punches a whole through his shirt. Next scene, no hole in his shirt.

On the "fanboyism" of directors/writers:

I think some directors just write/direct better movies. Im not going to sit here and defend them on a crappy movie, but most of the time, if a director such as a Scorsese makes a movie. I am going to the theatre to watch it. He hits more than he misses, and even when he does miss i dont find it unbearable. When he does "hit" however youre in or a good time.

Also, Nolan is attached to the Batman franchise and will forever be put up on a pedastool when being talked about by nerds such as myself. It also helps that hes made some pretty good movies.

Just saw a few movies over the holidays.

Argo was fantastic in my opinion. I just found the story (since it was true) to be a wild ride. Highly recommend.

Jack Reacher - this pretty much is what you would expect it to be, an entertaining popcorn flick, nothing to special (I got dragged to this one :lol:).

Speaking on the Director/Fan POV, Tarantino is another example, although I've thought most of his work has been good (or great). Speaking of which, has anyone seen Django Unchained?

EDIT: I see Theoneupper saw it and liked it...

Saw a few movies lately so I can finally add to this thread :)

1. Flight - fantastic movie...Denzel plays a huge degenerate in this movie. Enjoyed all of it (opening scene with the lady is incredible ;) )

2. Les Miserables - wife took me to see it and I actually really enjoyed it. Thought I wouldn't be very well done...

Going to check out DJANGO Unchained this weekend and possibly Looper as it's out on DVD/Blu-ray now

Saw Iron Man 3 a couple weeks back. Really liked it. Many did not for the twist in the Mandarin story, but i think it worked well in the movie, and they can bring the Mandarin for the avengers at a later date. Haven't seen F&F 6 or Star Trek, but i will probably watch them this weekend. Also, This is the End is getting rave reviews cant wait to watch that.

A few weeks back, the wife and I played our one "hooky" day of the year and watched Hangover 3 and FF6 on that first friday they were out.

Hangover 3 was aweful and I am a HUGE fan of the first one, saw it in the theatre probably sooner than most and began telling people this is a top 5 comedy classic. Usually comedy sequels struggle because you cant repeat the same jokes, the story lines seem contrived and the jokes try to outdo the first and they end up coming off as "forced", but overtime, they usually are OK after watching them a time or two...but honestly Hang 3 I dont think is gonna get better no matter how many times I watch it, it just wasnt very funny. Im hoping some of the other comedy sequels coming this summer Anchorman and Grown Ups are better than H3, it was pretty bad.

FF6 - pretty solid, I was wondering when they were going to get around to the fact that ones involving Han are essentially prequels to Tokyo Drift where he dies at the end, which they did in their signature "sequel preview scene" during the credits. I hear 7 is gonna be fast-tracked to 2014, normally they were on a 2-year cycle, 5 and 6 coming out in March of 2009 and 2011 respectively.

Few weeks earlier we took our son to see Iron Man 3, Im usually not a big fan of "comic book" movies, but it was pretty good.

Im a new member on Netflix thru (PS3), my homie gaved me an free account but, umm...How do I search old school action movies, such as Vandame once... and all that? Do they have a big collection of those, if so is there any instructions in how to get to them?

Im a new member on Netflix thru (PS3), my homie gaved me an free account but, umm...How do I search old school action movies, such as Vandame once... and all that? Do they have a big collection of those, if so is there any instructions in how to get to them?

The streaming library has actually been pretty limited from the get-go, but it's gotten to be even more unimpressive after Netflix recently removed a big chunk of it. A lot of the classics are gone. To really benefit from Netflix's service, you'd have to get the DVD-inclusive account.

In respect to JCVD, there are a few movies - just search for "Van Damme" and and click on his name. The available titles for streaming are:

- Hard Target

- Lionheart

- The Quest

- Sudden Death

- Street Fighter

- Assassination Games

- Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning

Nothing crazy, but if you've seen one Van Damme movie, you've seen 'em all...

The streaming library has actually been pretty limited from the get-go, but it's gotten to be even more unimpressive after Netflix recently removed a big chunk of it. A lot of the classics are gone. To really benefit from Netflix's service, you'd have to get the DVD-inclusive account.

In respect to JCVD, there are a few movies - just search for "Van Damme" and and click on his name. The available titles for streaming are:

- Hard Target

- Lionheart

- The Quest

- Sudden Death

- Street Fighter

- Assassination Games

- Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning

Nothing crazy, but if you've seen one Van Damme movie, you've seen 'em all...

Yeah pretty much, I've seen all the Vandame movies but I'm starving to re watch one of his movies that I cant remeber the name of, its with a small kid he meet at the camp and he falls in love with his mom and so on...

Yeah pretty much, I've seen all the Vandame movies but I'm starving to re watch one of his movies that I cant remeber the name of, its with a small kid he meet at the camp and he falls in love with his mom and so on...

No idea. If you feel up to it, you can scour his filmography and see which plot coincides with your description. Best of luck.

The two best JCVD movies are Bloodsport and Kickboxer.

More than one reason to watch these movies; for starters, Kickboxer's soundtrack is terrific.

What's the russian dudes name that plays alot of action movies? Dude with the blonde hair, hes a pretty dope actor.

I'm guessing you are referring to Dolph Lundgren (Ivan Drago from Rocky IV). He isn't Russian, he is Swedish.

Another forgotten cheesy 80s action flick is 'The Best of the Best':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o08kIpaWudA

What's the russian dudes name that plays alot of action movies? Dude with the blonde hair, hes a pretty dope actor.

I'm guessing you are referring to Dolph Lundgren (Ivan Drago from Rocky IV). He isn't Russian, he is Swedish.

Another forgotten cheesy 80s action flick is 'The Best of the Best':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o08kIpaWudA

Correct. What's your favorite movies from him?