Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Patrick Bateman

Movie Thread

My favorite 80s action flick is "To Live and Die in LA". An underrated classic. Check it out if you haven't seen it.

"To Live and Die in LA's" not cheesy though. If you want a great cheesy 80s action flick, check out Schwarzenegger's "Commando".

I suggest After Earth. that was a great flick

<_<

<_<

lol im thinking sarcasm was over your head but on a serious note the internship was a nice feel good comedy

I just watched Oldboy for the first time... boy, does it live up to the hype. IMO, however, the only reason it's so good is because of the payoff in the last 20-25 minutes - it's one of those films for which the sum is better than the individual parts. I thought the last scene was done very well, as we don't know if he's laughing or weeping; we don't know if it worked and he can live happily ever after.

With that said, one scene has been irking me because I can't figure out the significance:

What was the point of him eating the live octopus? Not the entire scene, as obviously his daughter was conditioned to respond to him, but the process of eating the squid itself. Was he trying to feel alive by digesting life? Was it simply gratuitous? Is Asian cinema just weird in general (that's a yes)?

I've seen it compared to Memento a lot due to both movies using unconventional filming techniques, especially in terms of narrative structure. I think, on initial intuition, I'd have to say Oldboy is superior in storytelling while Memento is better in its technical aspects.

I just watched Oldboy for the first time... boy, does it live up to the hype. IMO, however, the only reason it's so good is because of the payoff in the last 20-25 minutes - it's one of those films for which the sum is better than the individual parts. I thought the last scene was done very well, as we don't know if he's laughing or weeping; we don't know if it worked and he can live happily ever after.

With that said, one scene has been irking me because I can't figure out the significance:

What was the point of him eating the live octopus? Not the entire scene, as obviously his daughter was conditioned to respond to him, but the process of eating the squid itself. Was he trying to feel alive by digesting life? Was it simply gratuitous? Is Asian cinema just weird in general (that's a yes)?

I've seen it compared to Memento a lot due to both movies using unconventional filming techniques, especially in terms of narrative structure. I think, on initial intuition, I'd have to say Oldboy is superior in storytelling while Memento is better in its technical aspects.

Oldboy is bizarre, but a movie that really sticks with you. Terrific piece of filmmaking IMO. The squid scene felt gratuitous to me and it was difficult to find a deeper meaning. Some of that stuff is meant for shock value. When you watch disturbing films, there are often a few bizarre scenes thrown in for shock value. That's how it hit me at the time. Although, I should go back and watch the film again to try to piece things together a bit more to be honest.

Another bizarre Asian film is Audition Check this out. I thought Oldboy was disturbing, but then I saw Audition. It's so dark, and ends up in such a strange place, but it is a movie that will truly have you on edge the entire way. A true classic of modern Asian cinema.

Oldboy is bizarre, but a movie that really sticks with you. Terrific piece of filmmaking IMO. The squid scene felt gratuitous to me and it was difficult to find a deeper meaning. Some of that stuff is meant for shock value. When you watch disturbing films, there are often a few bizarre scenes thrown in for shock value. That's how it hit me at the time. Although, I should go back and watch the film again to try to piece things together a bit more to be honest.

Another bizarre Asian film is Audition Check this out. I thought Oldboy was disturbing, but then I saw Audition. It's so dark, and ends up in such a strange place, but it is a movie that will truly have you on edge the entire way. A true classic of modern Asian cinema.

I've been thinking about seeing Audition for a while, but couldn't tell if it it's just another twisted feminist revenge fantasy flick (I found out about it shortly about watching Girls Against Boys... that was a mistake). I should've known the Japanese are better than that. :lol: I'll check it out - thanks for the recommendation.

<_<

lol im thinking sarcasm was over your head but on a serious note the internship was a nice feel good comedy

I figured it was sarcasm, but i wasnt too sure. Glad i was right.

<_<

m night needs to just stop it.

<_<

Agreed. I got tired of his movies after The Village. Even though that movie wasnt terrible i just couldnt get over the whole crazy plot twist in his movies.

<_<

Agreed. I got tired of his movies after The Village. Even though that movie wasnt terrible i just couldnt get over the whole crazy plot twist in his movies.

ya the plot twists are appalling. Surprise the main villan is an ostrich all along like wtf :blink:

M Night is just on an epic suck streak. The guy is a giant egomaniac and probably surrounds himself with 'yes men' who tell him his ideas are great. His last five films: The Village, Lady in the Water, The Happening, The Last Airbender, After Earth. Just five huge pieces of s**t. Dude needs to hang it up. He made three good films and just doesn't have it anymore.

I haven't seen After Earf b/c I refuse to partake in Will Smith (who I usually like) shove his progeny in my face b/c of his sheer vanity and an epic lack of humility. I read an article that this is going to really stick with Smith, sort of like Cruise's couch jumping incident. A lot of folks don't appreciate the ridiculous amounts of nepotism coupled with an obvious level of smugness and entitlement. It's speaking to folks on a more personal level intertwining how folks feel about class warfare, parenthood, accountability, etc. He may end up being marginalized as an actor in his next projects but will still be an overall huge international draw. We'll see how he handles it. Cruise had his talent to fall back on and I think Smith realizes he has his charm to fall back on as he's already in damage control. Odd that both have Scientology underpinnings to their gaffes (that's an observation, not invitation to start a religious debate).

Anyways, Smith is a little lucky that Shyamalan is taking a lot of the hit on this one. This was Will Smith's original idea. M. Night was Smith's handpicked director and writer. Smith produced it. Reportedly, Smith had a lot of input into the script. This was all Will Smith and while folks have a lot of vitriol for ole' M, they should realize that this colossal failure falls at Smith's feet.

The Village wasn't horrible, just predictable. I haven't seen any of the his other flicks since.

Will Smith's kid was on Kimmel a few weeks ago and came off as brutally entitled. Sending the kid on talk shows and having him come off as a spoiled, pampered tool isn't going to help their marketing strategy of him.

This Is the End was hilarious, definitely lived up to the hype. Probably the hardest I've laughed at a movie in a long time.

Saw Man of Steel last night. I'm a pretty big Superman fan so I may be a bit more critical than the average fan. I liked it. It's a good solid Superhero movie that flirted with greatness but never got there. It's no coincidence this opened on Father's Day Weekend as the Father/son dynamic is heavily used. Jor-El is all over this movie and that's a good thing. The look is amazing. It's fantastic visually and there are certain decisions that really work including the re-imaging of Krypton and the use of flashbacks. It's not perfect though as the criticism of underdeveloped supporting characters other than the main 4 males (Kal-el, Jor-el, Pa Kent, and Zod) is very apt.

As long as you go in with the right expectations, I think most will come away entertained and as Jor-el once asked.......

tumblr_m2lfrkdy8s1qddh1n.gif

And isn't that the point.

I'll leave out a more robust critique b/c it's so new and don't want to spoil it for folks. IMO, it's better than IM3 (luke warm on that flick) and on par or slightly better than (ST2).....

Saw Man of Steel last night. I'm a pretty big Superman fan so I may be a bit more critical than the average fan. I liked it. It's a good solid Superhero movie that flirted with greatness but never got there. It's no coincidence this opened on Father's Day Weekend as the Father/son dynamic is heavily used. Jor-El is all over this movie and that's a good thing. The look is amazing. It's fantastic visually and there are certain decisions that really work including the re-imaging of Krypton and the use of flashbacks. It's not perfect though as the criticism of underdeveloped supporting characters other than the main 4 males (Kal-el, Jor-el, Pa Kent, and Zod) is very apt.

As long as you go in with the right expectations, I think most will come away entertained and as Jor-el once asked.......

I'll leave out a more robust critique b/c it's so new and don't want to spoil it for folks. IMO, it's better than IM3 (luke warm on that flick) and on par or slightly better than (ST2).....

I wouldnt compare it to IM3 because it was the beginning movie for a franchise. The movie was ok. Too long and the flashbacks mess with the pacing. I also did not like the ending. IM3 is a better action movie and the character of Tony Stark is just much easier to write for. Superman was a good movie, but it did not blow me away as I thought it would. I agree with the underdeveloped secondary characters.

Watched "This is The End" as well. That movie was hilarious. It was getting to the point where the movie was getting long, but the movie has enough funny actors to power through those parts. Danny McBride definitely steals the show.

I wouldnt compare it to IM3 because it was the beginning movie for a franchise. The movie was ok. Too long and the flashbacks mess with the pacing. I also did not like the ending. IM3 is a better action movie and the character of Tony Stark is just much easier to write for. Superman was a good movie, but it did not blow me away as I thought it would. I agree with the underdeveloped secondary characters.

Watched "This is The End" as well. That movie was hilarious. It was getting to the point where the movie was getting long, but the movie has enough funny actors to power through those parts. Danny McBride definitely steals the show.

This is the End is my next watch. Looking forward to it.

IM3 was very meh......I liked MoS much better as I was never bored. IM3 got silly and then ridiculous. Marvel and DC have two very different takes on their superhero franchises so I really like the dichotomy. Marvel likes to keep things light, there's more playfulness and humor. DC, under Nolan's influence, is much more serious. The stories are more foreboding with a deeper sense of angst exploring more of the hero's journey. Much more Greek Tragedy. Both are fun in their own ways and I like all the intro movies from Marvel (IM, Thor, CA although CA was the worst of the bunch) and really liked Avengers, but the IM sequels have largely failed to recapture the magic of it's predecessor and that concerns me about the follow ups to Thor and CA. I hope they come out okay.....

"Ive been droppin loads all over this house!!!!" had me rolling

"Ive been droppin loads all over this house!!!!" had me rolling

"Hes got to go. Hes got to goooooo."

Old boy is awesome, I'm pissed Spike Lee is remaking it though.

Best Korean movie is I Saw The Devil. It's streaming on Netflix, I'd recommend it to anyone.

What are some great action movies on Netflix right now?

Don't know if this qualifies as "action" but Warrior was probably the best movie I've seen in the last 5 years, maybe longer.

God damn that movie is good.

WOrld war z. Good? Bad?

I really enjoyed it. It didn't come across to me as just another zombie movie, thought it was well thought out and the intensity builds throughout the movie.