Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Patrick Bateman

Movie Thread

Moving past summer, I think the following movies look highly promising (it is awards season, after all...):

- Salinger (it's a legitimate documentary—not a biopic—and stars Philip Seymour Hoffman, Ed Norton, and John Cusack)

- Rush (directed by Ron Howard; stars Chris Hemsworth, Olivia Wild, and Natalie Dormer)

- Runner Runner (Brad Furman of Lincoln Lawyer fame directs; Ben Affleck and Justin Timberlake star)

- Captain Phillips (Greengrass directing [perfect fit, IMO]; Tom Hanks stars)

- 12 Years a Slave (directed by Steve McQueen; Brad Pitt and Michael Fassbender star)

- All Is Lost (Robert Redford stars)

- The Counselor (directed by Ridley Scott; stars Brad Pitt and Michael Fassbender)

- The Wolf of Wall Street (directed by Scorcese; stars Leo, Jon Favreau [directed Iron Man], Spike Jonze)

- Nebraska (being filmed entirely in black-and-white)

- Her (directed by Spike Jonze and starring my man Joaquin!)

- Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (stars Idris Elba)

- Out of the Furnace (directed by Scott Cooper of Crazy Heart fame; stars Christian Bale, Woody Harrelson, Casey Affleck, and Zoe Saldana—can't beat that!)

- Dallas Buyers Club (directed by Jean-Marc Vallee, who's still relatively obscure but has done some very good projects; stars Matthew McConaughey, Jennifer Garner, and Jared Leto)

- American Hustle (directed by David O. Russell; stars Christian Bale, Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, and Amy Adams)

- The Monuments Men (directed by George Clooney; stars Clooney, Damon, and Cate Blanchett)

- Saving Mr. Banks (directed by John Lee Hancock, who wrote The Blind Side; stars Tom Hanks and Colin Farrell)

- Lone Survivor (directed by Peter Berg [Friday Night Lights; The Kingdom; Hancock); stars Mark Wahlerg, Ben Foster, Eric Bana, and Josh Berry)

There's a lot of fun movies coming out, too (The World's End, Anchorman 2, etc.) that I'm looking forward to.

This really puts into perspective that I have too much time on my hands. :unsure:

I'm pumped for Kick a** 2.

12 Years a Slave looks cool. Big fan of McQueen, Fassbender, and Pitt.

Kick a** looks like itll be just a good. if not better, than the first. Cant wait.

Off to The Wolverine tonight!!!!

Let us know how it is. My buddy can get me in for free to see it (or Meet the Millers), but I'm not sure if it's really worth the time...

I liked it overall. Much better than Origins, which was pretty terrible. In fact, until the final act, it's actually a pretty interesting character study in a very cool setting. It was a bit more serious and a bit more restrained, although it has a pretty dynamic long action scene that takes place during a funeral. The plot device for Logan is actually well done and intriguing and most of the performances are pretty well done.

The last act gets a bit ludicrous and hammy with a some poorly written resolutions to characters and the final battle is really ridiculous although the action is always brisk and fun. Overall, I thought it was about as solid as the original X-men, or X-men 2. Better than IM2 or 3, which is awful and better than any Spiderman, save maybe 2. It's not TDK and the vibe is different then Avengers, but I think it's a solid effort. Let's face it, Nolan changed everything for a certain section of comic book fans, giving a grit and reality that is hard to measure up. The Wolverine does it in a pretty credible way for 3/4 of the movie. I actually would have loved more martial arts!

I thought Into Darkness was alright, but it fell far short of the original. Cumberbatch made for a good villain, but was there any significance to the plot? Truly a spawn of the Hollywood $$ machine

I agree. It was a fun and credible action movie. Very JJ Abrams and it was kinetic, the pace was alarmingly fast, and visually it was good. Cumberbatch and Quinto were both very good. However, it fell very short of the original. The heart and the emotion of the original were missing and Abrams' resolution to paying homage to WoK, while different, just didn't resonate. There's a reason that WoK is by far the best ST movie. But for what Abrams wanted it to be, a fast paced, slick pop corn movie, it hits it's mark, but you cap the possibility of having a great movie.

Still, this summer has been very hit or miss. IM3 was pretty awful. Cool visuals and CGI and all, but hamfisted. ST was good. I enjoyed MoS more than most because I thought it was a bit more grounded. Yes, I had some issues with it, but I had some issues with TDKR too. You had massive misses like Lone Ranger and After Earf. Fast and Furious isn't my thing so I have no idea. I need to see WWZ. May go see Elysium tonight. It's a move week!!!

I'm looking forward to Riddick. I loved Pitch Black and looks like they're returning to a smaller, more intimate scope of story. I hope it's cool.

Off to The Wolverine tonight!!!!

Let us know how it is. My buddy can get me in for free to see it (or Meet the Millers), but I'm not sure if it's really worth the time...

I liked it overall. Much better than Origins, which was pretty terrible. In fact, until the final act, it's actually a pretty interesting character study in a very cool setting. It was a bit more serious and a bit more restrained, although it has a pretty dynamic long action scene that takes place during a funeral. The plot device for Logan is actually well done and intriguing and most of the performances are pretty well done.

The last act gets a bit ludicrous and hammy with a some poorly written resolutions to characters and the final battle is really ridiculous although the action is always brisk and fun. Overall, I thought it was about as solid as the original X-men, or X-men 2. Better than IM2 or 3, which is awful and better than any Spiderman, save maybe 2. It's not TDK and the vibe is different then Avengers, but I think it's a solid effort. Let's face it, Nolan changed everything for a certain section of comic book fans, giving a grit and reality that is hard to measure up. The Wolverine does it in a pretty credible way for 3/4 of the movie. I actually would have loved more martial arts!

I thought Into Darkness was alright, but it fell far short of the original. Cumberbatch made for a good villain, but was there any significance to the plot? Truly a spawn of the Hollywood $$ machine

I agree. It was a fun and credible action movie. Very JJ Abrams and it was kinetic, the pace was alarmingly fast, and visually it was good. Cumberbatch and Quinto were both very good. However, it fell very short of the original. The heart and the emotion of the original were missing and Abrams' resolution to paying homage to WoK, while different, just didn't resonate. There's a reason that WoK is by far the best ST movie. But for what Abrams wanted it to be, a fast paced, slick pop corn movie, it hits it's mark, but you cap the possibility of having a great movie.

Still, this summer has been very hit or miss. IM3 was pretty awful. Cool visuals and CGI and all, but hamfisted. ST was good. I enjoyed MoS more than most because I thought it was a bit more grounded. Yes, I had some issues with it, but I had some issues with TDKR too. You had massive misses like Lone Ranger and After Earf. Fast and Furious isn't my thing so I have no idea. I need to see WWZ. May go see Elysium tonight. It's a move week!!!

I'm looking forward to Riddick. I loved Pitch Black and looks like they're returning to a smaller, more intimate scope of story. I hope it's cool.

I agree that Abrams hit the mark with a bullseye on the 1st, and the 2nd had issues the original reboot didn't have to deal with (and yes, the terror angle was heavy-handed) - it's just compared to what's been happened this summer, Into Darkness still comes off as a success. IM3, Pacific Rim, Lone Ranger, After Earth - all major disappointments. I am hopeful that Riddick will be good, because man, it's been a pretty blah summer.

And to expand on what I said before - MoS really had me for the setup, the background - it's just instead of following through, they just switched gears and decided to go into an hour-long battle scene, with the usual 2nd/3rd comebacks-from-seemingly-certain-death twists. I realize they all can't be Nolan-fests, but I thought the 1st half build-up would lead to more than a Michael Bay-esque CG gorefest for the last hour. Oh well. Loved Crowe & Costner, and I didn't have a problem at all with an "older" Lois Lane (although finding out this early, yeah, seems to take away a plot twist for later - but that's OK in my books) - instead of going somewhere with the 1st half, we just got the mega-hour long battle scene. Guess we'll see how the sequel fares, hopefully we will see a different vision play out....

just saw meet the millers. if your into crude humor go see it

Kick a** looks like itll be just a good. if not better, than the first. Cant wait.

Super is really good, in a similar vein. It's streaming on Netflix I you haven't seen it.

Gravity is looking pretty good so far...

whoa.png

It's being called a masterpiece and an Oscar contender. As good or better than Cuaron's previous movie, Children of Men (which was extremely good). Both Bullock and Clooney are being talked about as GG and Oscar nominees. Very excited for this. Also, at the VFF, the debuted the long trailer for Dallas Buyer's Club, which is already generating some Oscar Buzz for McGonaughey and Leto. It's blocked on Youtube in this country (so stupid), ah but you can't stop the internet.....New Alabama Shakes song on the soundtrack too!

BTW, I'm sure some will scoff, but I'm deadly serious. If this ends up as good as the buzz, is Matthew McConaughey quietly putting together the best singular year for acting since......maybe Pacino in 92-93? That was actually not in one calender year and over 13 months. Mud, Dallas Buyers Club, and supposedly, he has a couple of scene stealing scenes in Scorsese's The Wolf of Wall Street. He's on a huge roll of great acting roles....

Ya Mud was awesome right?! I've been telling everyone to watch it.

Ya Mud was awesome right?! I've been telling everyone to watch it.

Mud was really good, enjoyed it.

Had a bunch of free time and saw the following:

Star Trek 2 - Entertaining. Not as good as the first but I still liked it a lot

World War Z - Actually loved this movie. It's a mix between Outbreak, 28 days Later and I Am Legend

The Iceman - Not great but not bad either...

Went to watch Riddick a few nights ago.

I liked it a lot. Better than Chronicles. Typical sci-fi action flick. Probably on par with Pitch Black (the added bonus of boobies pushes Riddick up a notch or two).

There's this random movie at Redbox called Disconnect that's really good if you're in the mood for something more serious. It's sort of like Crash if Crash didn't suck.

Getting ready to watch Boondock Saints tonight for the first time on Netflix. I've heard a lot of good things about it.

Getting ready to watch Boondock Saints tonight for the first time on Netflix. I've heard a lot of good things about it.

It's really terrible.

It's really terrible.

Whaaaat. I love the Boondock Saints. The second one was pretty bad.

Watched a really awesome documentary on Netflix last night called For Zacahary. Sad as f--- though.

"Gravity" is an incredible film. Reminded me a lot of "2001: A Space Odyssey", with its own unique qualities and obviously the advantage of modern technology. It really needs to be experienced on the big screen. Truly a great movie.

"Gravity" is an incredible film. Reminded me a lot of "2001: A Space Odyssey", with its own unique qualities and obviously the advantage of modern technology. It really needs to be experienced on the big screen. Truly a great movie.

Im watching that this weekend. Was going to go today, but decided on going to watch Don Jon with a couple of friends. Don Jon was a good movie. Not great, but you can tell that JGL is a very talented dude having written and directed the movie. Looks like he might be the next Ben Affleck without the Gigli.

Watched 'Only God Forgives' last night. It got booed at Cannes I guess, I thought it was awesome

AWESOME film..huge cult following, classic!

Anyone catch 12 Years a Slave? McQueen's stuff is usuallly awesome.