Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Patrick Bateman

Movie Thread

Ah, forgot to come back in here after seeing The Wolf of Wall Street - but I loved it! It was a vintage story telling feel from Scorsese, it gave me a Goodfellas vibe (different stories, same narration (by lead), rise/fall type feel). It was a 3 hour movie, but didn't seem long to me...

Just got around to seeing "Wolf of Wall Street". I loved it. I thought the whole point of the film was to examine the hedonism of the characters, not to be some grandiose examination of financial corruption or fraud. It basically played like a comedy for the most part, and for what it tried to accomplish, it was great. I thought it was one of the most entertaining movies I've seen in a long time and definitely one of Scorsese's funniest.

I can see if people went in to the theater expecting some hard-hitting commentary of the ills of Wall Street, then they might be disappointed. But I think Scorsese, as with "Goodfellas", tried to make an entertaining movie above all else. Scorsese is a master at not being too heavy-handed with messages and statements, which always keep his movies entertaining. He understands very well how to stay in his lane as a filmmaker, and not go too much into the territory of a heavy-handed political or social critic. As far as the length, I thought it went by remarkably quick for a 3 hour movie. Scorsese has also always been very adept at not letting his films drag, and "Wolf" was a prime example of this.

^ dunno why/how you guys forgot about Francis Ford Coppola even though i think he's only made 3 great ones.

Apocalypse Now

Godfather

Godfather II

Three of the greatest movies ever

Finally saw "Captain Phillips" yesterday...loved it.

Probably should have turned on the subtitles though...couldn't understand a word of the Somalian dialogue lol

I have been wanting to watch American Hustle since I saw the first trailer for the movie, but it seems that it isn't as good as the previews make it out to be. I have heard that Nebraska is incredible, but I haven't seen that movie yet either. It has managed to gather a ton of attention and praise. Boondock Saints is a fantastic movie. I can't believe you haven't watched the movie yet, and anyone who hasn't should take the time to do so. I have seen that there is a number 2 available, but I haven't watched it yet. I haven't even seen it any where other than the internet, and if I hadn't stumbled upon a quick note about it I probably wouldn't even know that it exists. I will have to look it up and watch it. Hopefully it will be as good as Boondock Saints was.

I just watched the Lego Movie last night. Great movie, a bit long, but the movie is very watchable and hilarious!

I was happy to see 12 Years a Slave win Best Picture award at the Oscars. Completely deserved it.

I was happy to see 12 Years a Slave win Best Picture award at the Oscars. Completely deserved it.

It was probably one of the best awards show in recent memory. Everyone who I thought deserved an Oscar won. Sucks that Leo didnt win an oscar, and hasnt yet, but he did not deserve it this year.

I finally watched Gravity a few days ago and while I thought it was great, I didn't really think it was the most amazing movie that so many people do. Almost confused by how many awards it won because it didn't have the feel of an academy award winning movie but I guess others thought it did... Though, this was easily my worst year of movie going and I missed out on a lot of the big movies, so maybe it was just better than all the others.

I finally watched Gravity a few days ago and while I thought it was great, I didn't really think it was the most amazing movie that so many people do. Almost confused by how many awards it won because it didn't have the feel of an academy award winning movie but I guess others thought it did... Though, this was easily my worst year of movie going and I missed out on a lot of the big movies, so maybe it was just better than all the others.

It won most of the technical awards. Think about how realistic it looked (some of the science was off) and tight the shots were. Now, think that it was all done on green screen. The amount of imagination, creativity, and spatial understanding is impressive by the staff. Not sure it should have own score, but technically it was a pretty amazing experience. And it was a fun little thrill ride too....

I still need to see some of these movies (Gravity, Wolf, 12 years a Slave)

Also - I thought Ellen was fantastic. She was a great host and had the crowd laughing all night.

Although I could have went without the obvious Samsung product placement with the selfies....

My only objection with the major awards was that Sandra Bullock probably deserved the Oscar for lead actress. Cate Blanchett was excellent - but she got to play off other cast members, who were equally excellent (the supporting actress nomination, as an example). Bullock was basically 80 percent, if not the entire movie, on her own (save for 20+ minutes with Clooney).

I don't have a problem with Gravity not winning Best Movie, but if people thought it was great enough to give the Best Director and Adapted Screenplay, and likely was 2nd in the voting behind 12 years, I just don't see how Bullock doesn't get the nod. I don't feel badly for Bullock, as she has over 50 million reasons to console her (20M salary plus 30M as a percentage of the box office take she got in her contract), but the reasoning eludes me.

Then again, this is the same Academy that awarded Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan as best movie, FORREST FREAKING GUMP over Shawshank Redemption, and denied Jim Carrey a nomination for Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (not that it should have clearly won, but not in the 5 best performances of those years? Come on - Carrey's award presentation was by far the funniest one since he alluded to these omissions not-so-obliquely. I also loved Jamie Foxx's Chariots of Fire imitation, it cracked Jessica Biel up as well). /end rant.

My only objection with the major awards was that Sandra Bullock probably deserved the Oscar for lead actress. Cate Blanchett was excellent - but she got to play off other cast members, who were equally excellent (the supporting actress nomination, as an example). Bullock was basically 80 percent, if not the entire movie, on her own (save for 20+ minutes with Clooney).

I don't have a problem with Gravity not winning Best Movie, but if people thought it was great enough to give the Best Director and Adapted Screenplay, and likely was 2nd in the voting behind 12 years, I just don't see how Bullock doesn't get the nod. I don't feel badly for Bullock, as she has over 50 million reasons to console her (20M salary plus 30M as a percentage of the box office take she got in her contract), but the reasoning eludes me.

Then again, this is the same Academy that awarded Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan as best movie, FORREST FREAKING GUMP over Shawshank Redemption, and denied Jim Carrey a nomination for Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (not that it should have clearly won, but not in the 5 best performances of those years? Come on - Carrey's award presentation was by far the funniest one since he alluded to these omissions not-so-obliquely. I also loved Jamie Foxx's Chariots of Fire imitation, it cracked Jessica Biel up as well). /end rant.

I have a minor problem with Matthew McConaughey winning best actor. I would have have had Joaquin Phoenix from "Her" win it. I think he did a much better acting job with having to play a guy who loves an operating system of all things over what McConaughey did. He didn't even make the final ballot which is a shame to me. No disrespect to Matthew, I thought he did a good job and he did drop 30 pounds for the role. I just disagree with the decision.

I have a minor problem with Matthew McConaughey winning best actor. I would have have had Joaquin Phoenix from "Her" win it. I think he did a much better acting job with having to play a guy who loves an operating system of all things over what McConaughey did. He didn't even make the final ballot which is a shame to me. No disrespect to Matthew, I thought he did a good job and he did drop 30 pounds for the role. I just disagree with the decision.

I wouldn't argue the choice of Phoenix, for the same reasons you cited as I see that for Bullock. It was weird that he wasn't on the final cut, as he carried that movie, which while it wasn't as good as the top 3, obviously was a top-notch movie. Oh well.

The Academy are suckers for major physical transformations made for parts.

Agreed Pheonix was better and Her was a much better movie, for that matter. But he's a douche and McConaughey seems like a good dude, so I'm ok with it.

The Academy are suckers for major physical transformations made for parts.

Agreed Pheonix was better and Her was a much better movie, for that matter. But he's a douche and McConaughey seems like a good dude, so I'm ok with it.

That's a big part of the Academy Awards to be honest. Kubrick and Hitchcock, two legendary assholes, never got best director. But there are a long line of far inferior directors who were rewarded. Phoenix has given great performances the last two years in "The Master" and "Her". Altough both films are hugely overrated, he was tremendous in both. If that was a "nice guy" in both roles, i.e. Tom Hanks, I guarantee he would have received a best actor award. If Tom Hanks or George Clooney had delivered those two performances, at least one award would have come out of it. But Phoenix seems like a huge douche, so the guy will probably be shut out for his career.

Speaking of the Master, it's ridiculous PT Anderson has never won anything. Easily the best director alive outside of Scorcese IMO.

You shouldn't. I agree that Phoenix definitely deserved a nomination (who would you have taken out?) and I thought 'Her' was fantastic and the biggest surprise of the year but MM was certainly as good and probably better. After speaking with some folks out here in the industry, it becomes clear why MM was the landslide winner. The shoe string budget, brutal schedule (shot in 28 days), and sheer endurance it takes to carry a movie after that type of weight loss accumulated tons of respect for McConaughey within the industry. Folks were in awe that he could keep up with the pace considering how emaciated he was, and it was necessary weight loss too. Something functional for the character, not just an "artistic decision". I thought that Ejiofor may nip him as he also carried his movie's somberness with a fierce performance but it's sort of just MM's time. He's on a massive roll.

If he wins for True Detective, which Vegas has him as the early favorite, he'll make history as the first male actor to ever win both the Oscar and Emmy in the same voting year......I'll look forward to his new movie, Interstellar, with Chris Nolan directing this summer.

MM has become a Christian Bale, Matt Damon, Dicaprio type actor. Whatever hes in I will watch because i know the quality will be above average. Hes a shoe in for the Emmy as well. I thought he was an easy candidate to win the Oscar, whos going to challenge him for the Emmy? (Serious question)

MM has become a Christian Bale, Matt Damon, Dicaprio type actor. Whatever hes in I will watch because i know the quality will be above average. Hes a shoe in for the Emmy as well. I thought he was an easy candidate to win the Oscar, whos going to challenge him for the Emmy? (Serious question)

Bryan Cranston in the swan song season of Breaking Bad & Tim Olyphant from Justified.

It really is a renaissance for TV since the abyss of reality TV.

You shouldn't. I agree that Phoenix definitely deserved a nomination (who would you have taken out?) and I thought 'Her' was fantastic and the biggest surprise of the year but MM was certainly as good and probably better. After speaking with some folks out here in the industry, it becomes clear why MM was the landslide winner. The shoe string budget, brutal schedule (shot in 28 days), and sheer endurance it takes to carry a movie after that type of weight loss accumulated tons of respect for McConaughey within the industry. Folks were in awe that he could keep up with the pace considering how emaciated he was, and it was necessary weight loss too. Something functional for the character, not just an "artistic decision". I thought that Ejiofor may nip him as he also carried his movie's somberness with a fierce performance but it's sort of just MM's time. He's on a massive roll.

If he wins for True Detective, which Vegas has him as the early favorite, he'll make history as the first male actor to ever win both the Oscar and Emmy in the same voting year......I'll look forward to his new movie, Interstellar, with Chris Nolan directing this summer.

So basically losing weight = instant Oscar. Got it.

Not instant - but yeah Oscar loves physical hardship. Hanks, Theron, Brody, Deniro (some gained a ton) - it seems to gain momentum for them.

Good article here - http://variety.com/2013/biz/news/is-oscar-just-a-weighting-game-thesps-go-to-physical-extremes-1200884226/

Walter White of course.

Physically altering your appearance to invade a role is going to win you a ton of respect amongst your peers if the acting is top notch as well. Christian Bale gained a 30+ lbs and taught himself to walk with a slump so he would seem shorter for 'American Hustle'. Look what it did for him in 'The Fighter'. As RRF points out, physical transformation, from Daniel Day Lewis to Marlon Brando, will earn the respect of your peers when you can adjoin that with serious acting chops.

Your while your retort is elementary in nature, there is something to physically altering your body in acting.....

Bryan Cranston in the swan song season of Breaking Bad & Tim Olyphant from Justified.

Won't be the same category most likely. TD will be in the Outstanding TV Miniseries or movie category. BB will be in the Outstanding TV series.

We're early in the year, so it's hard to say what could be nominated with 75% of the year to go. This will hurt True Detective as well. But for starters, I would say his partner in TD -- Woody Harrelson who was incredible as well.....

Won't be the same category most likely. TD will be in the Outstanding TV Miniseries or movie category. BB will be in the Outstanding TV series.

We're early in the year, so it's hard to say what could be nominated with 75% of the year to go. This will hurt True Detective as well. But for starters, I would say his partner in TD -- Woody Harrelson who was incredible as well.....

Ya, you're right about the mini-series point, didn't think of that since it is coming back but I believe American Horror Story went the same route to get nominations.

I think we are closer to 75 percent DONE with the year though. I think the cutoff date is sometime in May if I'm not mistaken.