Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Patrick Bateman

Movie Thread

MM has become a Christian Bale, Matt Damon, Dicaprio type actor. Whatever hes in I will watch because i know the quality will be above average. Hes a shoe in for the Emmy as well. I thought he was an easy candidate to win the Oscar, whos going to challenge him for the Emmy? (Serious question)

Bryan Cranston in the swan song season of Breaking Bad & Tim Olyphant from Justified.

It really is a renaissance for TV since the abyss of reality TV.

Won't be the same category most likely. TD will be in the Outstanding TV Miniseries or movie category. BB will be in the Outstanding TV series.

We're early in the year, so it's hard to say what could be nominated with 75% of the year to go. This will hurt True Detective as well. But for starters, I would say his partner in TD -- Woody Harrelson who was incredible as well.....

Agreed. Woody and Matthew were both out of this world in TD. Interstellar will be likely be great as you said. Also, I'm very interested to see Transcendence since it's the first directorial effort from Wally Pfister (DP for basically all of Chris Nolan's movies and Moneyball).

TD was incredible - finished it last weekend and enjoyed it so much.

I am anxious to see what direction season 2 will go. From everything I've read, the writer will bring on new characters with a new story (Brad Pitt rumors?)

Also: Raid 2 has a limited release in LA and NYC on 3/28

Can't wait...2.5 hours of pure mayhem.

Finally watched American Hustle tonight, I thought it was good but kinda long and maybe even a little boring. I also rented The Wolf of Wall Street and I'm gonna watch that tomorrow, I guess l'm about 5 months late but so far Gravity > American Hustle.

Finally watched American Hustle tonight, I thought it was good but kinda long and maybe even a little boring. I also rented The Wolf of Wall Street and I'm gonna watch that tomorrow, I guess l'm about 5 months late but so far Gravity > American Hustle.

I nearly fell asleep during American Hustle, easily the most overrated movie of the year.

Ludawg, is that movie going to be translated in English?

I assume subtitles...going to check it out this weekend!

Finally saw Wolf of Wallstreet and found it super entertaining. Massive amounts of narcotics and breasts but absurdly long when it didn't need to be.

That scene at the country club where those "lemons" kicked in had me dying...I was in tears.

Finally saw Wolf of Wallstreet and found it super entertaining. Massive amounts of narcotics and breasts but absurdly long when it didn't need to be.

That scene at the country club where those "lemons" kicked in had me dying...I was in tears.

Watched The Wolf of Wall Street yesterday and absolutely loved it. That too was my favorite scene as well, it was incredible. I also loved when Jonah Hill's character said he'd never eat at those chain of restaurants again even if somebody was throwing a party. Great stuff.

Watched The Wolf of Wall Street yesterday and absolutely loved it. That too was my favorite scene as well, it was incredible. I also loved when Jonah Hill's character said he'd never eat at those chain of restaurants again even if somebody was throwing a party. Great stuff.

Margot Robbie - wowowwwwww...SUPER hot

The last half hour of Wolf of Wall Street was weird for me. It's a comedy then it gets super serious for whatever reason. It was entertaining, but probably an hour too long.

"Wolf of Wall Street" was long. But it's so good. If you're going to complain about that movie, you're going to complain about anything. I doubt most people will do anything useful with that extra half hour anyway. Drink a beer, j**k off, watch a movie, who cares? It's a half hour, small amount of time in the grand scheme of things. If you've seen other 3-4 hour movies, "WoWS" goes by like nothing.

I saw "Grand Budapest Hotel". Cool movie, but Wes Anderson is probably the most predictable mainstream director. As predictable as he is, it's still one of his more entertaining movies.

Here's the Interstellar teaser for those who haven't seen it.

"Wolf of Wall Street" was long. But it's so good. If you're going to complain about that movie, you're going to complain about anything. I doubt most people will do anything useful with that extra half hour anyway. Drink a beer, j**k off, watch a movie, who cares? It's a half hour, small amount of time in the grand scheme of things. If you've seen other 3-4 hour movies, "WoWS" goes by like nothing.

I saw "Grand Budapest Hotel". Cool movie, but Wes Anderson is probably the most predictable mainstream director. As predictable as he is, it's still one of his more entertaining movies.

The last half hour of Wolf of Wall Street was weird for me. It's a comedy then it gets super serious for whatever reason. It was entertaining, but probably an hour too long.

Honestly, I read the book first and a lot of things were left out. It was actually shorter than it could have been.

I have no issue with long movies, just that this particular movie was longer than it needed to be.

I also wasnt complaining. It was decent. Subpar by Scorcese standards IMO.

Listening to Matthew McConaughey talking about high school girls. Awesome movie.

Listening to Matthew McConaughey talking about high school girls. Awesome movie.

One of my favorite movies.

Was anyone lucky enough to go to Sundance and catch Linklater's new flick, Boyhood? It was filmed over something like eight years, using the same actors. Can't wait to watch it.

Just watched The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and thought it was good and action packed. I didn't like it as much as the first one but this one wasn't bad either. In the film you get to see Electro and the Green Goblin along with one particular scene that made a lot of fans rather sad (if you're familiar with the comics you'll know what I'm talking about). Anybody else seen it yet?

Boyhood will be one for the ages. Linklater always shows just how precious the things we take for granted are.

Averaging a 100% on Rotten Tomatoes so far.

"... it's almost Joycean in its appreciation of the scruffy magic of everyday life."

And shouldn't we all have that in us? Shouldn't we all...

Rented Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones from Redbox last night.

Waste. Of. Time.

Re: summer blockbusters:

-X-Men lives up to the hype. Like X2, pinnacle of good sci-fi. Debates on which is better no doubt will rage on.

-Family-wise, How To Train Your Dragon 2 does too (purely for parents & kids though).

-Edge of Tomorrow isn't that original (yes it's Groundhog Day sci-fi style), but it's executed brilliantly. Blunt & Cruise were top-notch. Extremely enjoyable.

Rented 3 Days To Kill last night and surprisingly really enjoyed it. It's got a good mix of action, comedy and drama which Costner pulls off quite well.

Re: summer blockbusters:

-X-Men lives up to the hype. Like X2, pinnacle of good sci-fi. Debates on which is better no doubt will rage on.

-Family-wise, How To Train Your Dragon 2 does too (purely for parents & kids though).

-Edge of Tomorrow isn't that original (yes it's Groundhog Day sci-fi style), but it's executed brilliantly. Blunt & Cruise were top-notch. Extremely enjoyable.

I agree with Edge of Tomorrow. I'm actually a huge Emily Blunt fan. I enjoy the movies she stars in. Yes, that includes The Devil Wears Prada. Can I keep my mancard?

Just saw Transformers last night. Pretty good. A little long IMO. Obviously they set themselves up for another movie.

Has anyone had a chance to see Cheap Thrills or Grand Piano yet? Saw some trailers for it over the weekend and both look solid.

Almost 6 months since the last post in this thread. Been a weak year in movies. My three favorite films this year are easily "Birdman", "Boyhood", and "Nightcrawler". Can't wait to see "Inherent Vice". "Boyhood" and "Birdman" are two great films in a sea of garbage this year, while Jake Gyllenhaal absolutely carries "Nightcrawler" with his performance.

Anyone here into the Criterion Collection? I've started to really get into it and I'm watching a lot of foreign films. Man, there are so many great foreign films a lot of people won't watch because they don't enjoy reading subtitles. The Criterion Collection is a great resource for film buffs, stock up on them when they're on sale if you have a chance.