Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Patrick Bateman

2012 Rotoworld Community Fantasy Football PPR Mock Draft

But seriously, folks.

Unfortunately I have only one choice: Stay the course.

The lowball offers are hilarious.

Mike Goodson and Rashaad Jennings?

Daniel Thomas?

Wow.

Hey, at least I offered FAAB $ with mine!

Don't get mad, I send everybody bad offers, you're not special :P

Yeah, but seriously though, I can't support paying full price for Helu, regardless of the upside. There's no worse backfield for fantasy owners every single week while trying to set lineups than Shanahan. Any time you get even a decent week out of a WAS RB you feel like you hit the lotto.

And that is why I am stuck with him, because I'm not getting fleeced for my 6th round pick.

btw--Felonius's new team slogan made me laugh out loud for real.

Haha I had to see if I could sneak a lowball trade in for him and steal one.

In all honestly on Helu I think he will be a frustraing player this year and by no fault of his own.

I loved him coming into the year and he was going to be one of my keepers in my big money league but once they signed Hightower that went away. He has the ability to be an RB1, especially in a PPR format but the headaches that are associated with him because of Shanny almost don't make it worth it.

If I end up with him on any of my teams I've already decided that I will only start him if Hightower is injured. He could break off 3 straight 100 yard games and he won't start for me because Shanny has showed that Helu won't start for him either after games like that. It's like a Jon Stewart scenario where the potential is through the roof, but the opportunity just isn't there.

And that is why I am stuck with him, because I'm not getting fleeced for my 6th round pick.

You might as well stick around with him. Hightower's knee could blow out again at any moment, for that matter I don't think he's even been cleared for contact yet so who knows how he will progress. If he doesn't come back strong, or he blows his knee out early then Helu is a steal at 6th round value, even with Royster there. If Hightower does stick around, be ready for a stressful year

And yes, Felonius slogan is so far the quote of the year although I feel like he should air me out too. I woke up today to a trade rejection from him for a terrible trade offer that I don't even remember making or know why I would make such an offer. I definitely deserve a dummy smack for whatever happened, I already apologized once, but sorry again Mr. Lang.

I'd love to offer more FAAB $ due to Helu's possible upside, but the biggest reason I can't is that if I rostered Helu, I'd have to also roster Royster, and that's not even bringing the bigger elephant, Hightower, into the picture (who I wouldn't even have).

I'd have to roster 2 or 3 RB's from the same team basically on my bench, and that would mean cutting/giving up on potentials like Rashad Jennings (MJD is holding out...holdout could continue like Chris Johnson last season, and MJD could show up in less than 100% football shape, meaning an early season hamstring injury like Foster last season could occur) or Shane Vereen.

I highly expect Shane Vereen to lock up the pass catching role in NE this season, even with the addition of Addai. I think Addai is mostly a depth signing, like Kevin Faulk.

It's important to look at the roles that the Patriots are grooming these two new RB's for in that offense. Shane Vereen was recovering from a hamstring injury for most of last season, so it was only fellow rookie Stevan Ridley that we really got a look at. The important thing to note is that, even though Vereen wasn't eating into Ridley's playing time, while Ridley saw 87 carries for 447 yards, he only caught 3 passes for 13 yards during the season (with a long of 8 yards). That tells me almost certainly that they do not intend to use Ridley in their passing game.

Contrast that with aging veteran Kevin Faulk, who had a mere 17 carries last season for 57 yards, but also had 7 receptions for 34 yards. More than double Ridley's receptions while playing an absolute minimum of snaps.

Let's track the history of NE's pass-catching RB. For pretty much the past decade, it's been one man, the aforementioned Kevin Faulk.

As a pass-catching RB, what we're emphasizing is his PPR value, so, reception total is the first stat to look at. We're going to throw out his initial 1999 season where he saw a limited role and start with his 2000 season where he was used more prominently:

(small note: Kevin Faulk's dimensions, for reference: 5'8" 202 lbs / Shane Vereen's: 5'9 205lbs)

Also, I'm not going to be looking up Faulk's injury history at this moment (I will when I make my complete analysis for the Shane Vereen thread), which could certainly have contributed to some of the dips during certain years.

2000 - 51 receptions / 465 receiving yards

2001 - 30 receptions / 189 receiving yards < this is the year Tom Brady became NE's starting QB

2002 - 37 receptions / 379 receiving yards

2003 - 48 receptions / 440 receiving yards

2004 - 26 receptions / 248 receiving yards

2005 - 29 receptions / 260 receiving yards

2006 - 43 receptions / 356 receiving yards

2007 - 47 receptions / 383 receiving yards

2008 - 58 receptions / 486 receiving yards < Matt Cassel's season as NE QB (Tom Brady tore ACL first game of season)

2009 - 37 receptions / 301 receiving yards

Faulk was either injured or saw a severely limited role in 2010 and 2011, so they're not worth using in the actual analysis.

Laurence Maroney saw 22 receptions for 194 yards in 2006, and 14 for 99 yards in 2009. Those are his only noteworthy seasons for this analysis.

The Law Firm, NE's primary rusher in 2010 and 2011, had the following reception lines:

2008 - 3 for 37

2009 - 2 for 11

2010 - 12 for 85

2011 - 9 for 159

Corey Dillon hovered in the 15-22 reception range during the three twilight years of his NFL career with the Pats (2004, 2005, 2006).

I checked and it seems at this point no other NE RB's contributed significantly in the Pat's passing game (as far as receptions go) besides Kevin Faulk.

Kevin Faulk's rushing totals:

2000: 164 carries / 570 rushing yards

2001: 41 carries / 169 rushing yards

2002: 52 carries / 271 rushing yards

2003: 178 carries / 638 rushing yards

2004: 54 carries / 255 rushing yards

2005: 51 carries / 145 rushing yards

2006: 25 carries / 123 rushing yards

2007: 62 carries / 265 rushing yards

2008: 83 carries / 507 rushing yards

2009: 62 carries / 335 rushing yards

With a quick scan, it seems that Faulk did miss a large portion of the 2005 season, along with portions of the 2004 season, likely due to injury.

So if we extract those so they don't skew the question that we're looking for...

What is the average reception total for NE's primary pass-catching RB (with TOM BRADY at QB - I also removed Faulk's highest reception total season from 2008 with Matt Cassel from the input) for roughly the past decade?

If we take away the dip caused by Tom Brady's first season as a starter, that average stands at 42.4 receptions per season.

We can also likely expect in the 350-400 receiving yard range as the sort of "average" receiving yard total as well.

Now, remember what Darren Sproles did last year, and factor in that Faulk was also used on the ground as well, and with upside, I think Shane Vereen could certainly hit these numbers:

500 yards rushing / 500 yards receiving / 8 combined TDs / 59 receptions

Yardage totals are hard to predict here, I think that he could actually exceed one or both of those numbers depending on circumstances. If Ridley were to get injured, I think Vereen's totals in all categories would balloon as a result.

As soon as it is confirmed that Vereen is NE's pass-catching RB, he'll be a solid FLEX play each week. I can't give him plus FAAB $ up to roster one or more of the devil trio of Hightower, Helu, and Royster

Because the bottom line was that I was able to get him as a Free Agent pickup post-draft. THAT is value.

BTW, the reason I'm bringing this up was because Kevin Faulk was the #21 overall RB in PPR scoring in 2008.

http://www.fantasyfootballxtreme.com/2009/01/02/2008-nfl-player-stats/#pprrbs

Pinch hitting in your FLEX spot, I'll take that kind of production with upside from a Free Agent pickup that's practically guaranteed a role in his team's high powered offense.

No trade offers for Brees, Harvin or Trent Richardson?

I emailed you to talk about Harvin or Trent but I never heard back from you. Figured they were taken off the block.

Been working on some other stuff the past day or so, I'll send some more trade offers later/tomorrow.

Everyone should chip in on this thread to let the league know what they're looking to add to their team's rosters in terms of positions, that way maybe we can work out some 3-way or larger trades, when 2-team trades wouldn't allow the right fit.

Hey guys, while we're at it, let's try to keep all our league-related discussions in here, and not spilling into the main forum, mmmkay? Mods threw us a warning via PM.

Okay, so seeing how I got a surprising amount of negative feedback about trading my FAAB $, since people don't seem to value FAAB $ that much, anyone interested in trading me some of theirs?

Hey sorry guys, I'm not used to looking in this subsection of the forum.

I apparently missed a massive deal I would have been a part of, but I most likely wouldn't not have accepted it from what I saw.

Our league officially got changed over to FAAB.

If you make a trade regarding FAAB $, send a message to the commish and/or post a message here acknowledging the trade.

Any trade which involves me, especially involving FAAB $, I'll be verifying here in the forum so there will not be any funny business regarding the FAAB $ portion of it. I expect the other party to verify it here as well, in that scenario.

That said, now that the FAAB $ system is in place and the old Waiver priority is effectively useless, I'm looking to buy any portion of FAAB $ from teams in the league. Send me your offers and we'll see what we can work out.

I'll trade you 50 of my FAAB dollars for a 100 of yours.

Trust me, you'll need that 50 down the stretch.

Yes...funny as helll.

Got another trade done.

I gave:

Jared Cook

$25 FAAB

DocJ (Swole) gave:

Sidney Rice

I needed another receiving option behind Randy Moss (who I view primarily as a matchup play WR2/FLEX [preferably FLEX]) and Jonathan Baldwin (who I expect to finish the season hotter than he starts it). Sidney Rice's early schedule against teams like DAL, GB, NE, and CAR should be good enough matchups as long as Matt Flynn can run some semblance of a pass attack in Seattle.

Chipped my FAAB budget a bit more than I would have liked to make it happen, but it filled a need for my team and that's the important part.