Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Patrick Bateman

2012 Rotoworld Community Fantasy Football PPR Mock Draft

I'm okay with the draft order. I mocked from 11th this morning and was surprisingly satisfied with the results. Monday is fine if we start then. I spend most of my work day thinking about fantasy football anyway :)

Is the flex spot RB/WR or RB/WR/TE in this mock?

I vote to include TE in the flex spot, since the advent of the super TE is really hitting the league right now, and because ESPN also made it their default. Practice like you play, as they say.

I'm cool with it being a w/r/t flex if everyone else is. How exactly are we making our picks. Are we doing another thread? Are we doing an email draft and then posting each rounds picks as they go through?

How many of you guys have Twitter accounts? It's fast, like public text messaging for those of you who have smartphones. Used it in one of my leagues to great effect for communication last season (trade talk, etc).

We could simply have one account that tells each manager when it's their turn to pick. For example, create an account called "@Roto_Commish". Using the above list, it would go something like this:

@Roto_Commish: 1.1 @Gottagetthewin Your turn.

@Gottagetthewin: 1.1 Arian Foster

@Roto_Commish: 1.2 @Robrain Your turn.

@Robrain: 1.2 Ray Rice

@Roto_Commish: 1.3 @JTaylor Your turn.

@JTaylor: 1.3 Aaron Rodgers

etc.

First number is the round, second number is the pick in that round, obviously. Keeps it quick, efficient, and the person running the Roto_Commish account can simply update the original post adding each pick as each manager responds in turn (not to mention each manager would get a realtime update to their smartphone when it was their turn to pick).

Or of course, do it here on the forums somehow, either way. Just my suggestion for the process if everyone's okay with Twitter.

I'm cool with it being a w/r/t flex if everyone else is. How exactly are we making our picks. Are we doing another thread? Are we doing an email draft and then posting each rounds picks as they go through?

Pretty sure we post our picks and explanations in this thread once the draft starts.

Guys, this is a slow draft. It's meant for the participants to sharpen their drafting skills as well as evaluate and consider their own and alternate strategies. Additionally, it's meant to help other community members as viewers watch a draft with real live member interactively, where they can ask questions and address concerns of picks already made. It's a fairly simple concept. If you'd prefer a quick down and dirty online draft, then ESPN, Yahoo, and MDC will all be open soon, so knock yourselves out, but this isn't the same type of thing.

As far as analysis goes. There is definitely some analysis and description of most picks made as well as conversation about some of the more interesting ones. Novels? We can do without those.

Yeah, I figured we'd just do it on here. Example:

1.1 Terry Bradshaw

I made this pick because blah blah blah....

Is the flex spot RB/WR or RB/WR/TE in this mock?

I vote to include TE in the flex spot, since the advent of the super TE is really hitting the league right now, and because ESPN also made it their default. Practice like you play, as they say.

Im good with this also.

1.1 Terry Bradshaw

You stole my sleeper pick. Bastard.

And I agree. Looks good, but there may need to be a seperate thread for comments on the draft - unless we want picks/comments all jumbled into one thread.

1.1 Terry Bradshaw

You stole my sleeper pick. Bastard.

And I agree. Looks good, but there may need to be a seperate thread for comments on the draft - unless we want picks/comments all jumbled into one thread.

Yeah, I just used Twitter as an example for the picks mainly because it's limited to 140 characters per message, meaning it would force the actual picks to be concise. Using the same kind of format on the forum works just as well.

I suggest having two threads, one for the people involved in the actual draft, and a mirror for analysis/explanation/discussion.

Thread#1:

-Limited to the managers involved in the draft

-Uses the formatting above (each manager simply responds in turn with their draft position [1.1, 1.2, etc] followed by the player they're selecting - optionally we could add their position tag after the name so it reads something like:

1.1 Arian Foster (RB)

-The initial post in the thread will be updated with each selection so that it serves as the master listing, avoiding the need to scroll through the entire thread to know who was picked

That should be all that's needed in that thread.

Thread#2:

-Initial post in this thread is a mirror of the initial post in Thread#1 (updated with each pick, just like Thread#1)

-Managers involved in the draft can (as they are willing) give their reasoning for drafting the player they did

-All forum participants can comment/ask questions

Seems simple enough? Any other ideas?

there may need to be a seperate thread for comments on the draft - unless we want picks/comments all jumbled into one thread.

I wondered this as well. Personally, I would like the opinion of the moderators on that.

We typically do a Draft Thread (picks only) and a draft all other thread to keep it clean

Also, pick 9. Just like real life!

We typically do a Draft Thread (picks only) and a draft all other thread to keep it clean

That sounds good.

Word.

So in the one thread there is our picks and our reasoning and then in another is the discussion from other people in the forums? I just want to make sure I don't hold the draft up, especially since I already know who I'm taking.

Sweet. Mad progress.

I'm on board with the W/R/T flex.

Don't care if we have two threads or one.

Are we using that order?

If so: Can we trade picks?

If so: Maligator, want to switch?

Interesting question, hopefully the mods can give us answers on all these questions before Monday. It's interesting that your trying to trade down because I find myself debating about trading down in my leagues if I get a high overall pick.

I'm also curious about trading down, if the option exists.

Interesting question, hopefully the mods can give us answers on all these questions before Monday. It's interesting that your trying to trade down because I find myself debating about trading down in my leagues if I get a high overall pick.

Well...I initially said that I'd like the 8 or 10, because those are the ones I'm doing for realsies. But then I remembered that in the league where I have the 10 spot, I have one keeper, which will cost me that draft round, so already my selections are either influenced by that, or I ignore it and don't really get the practice I seek. It's cool either way though.

But as for your observation: You're saying you'd even trade down if you had 1-3?

But as for your observation: You're saying you'd even trade down if you had 1-3?

In a keeper or dynasty I would consider it. I should have specified that in my previous post. With the RB position as weak as it is and getting weaker every year I would move down and try to grab a RB combo of CJ/DMC/AP/Trent. In all of the mocks I have done I have had some combo of all of them. If I have the ability to lock two of them down for a number of years I'm taking it. That's my personal opinion though I know there are a lot of people that would disagree.

In a re-draft league I would stay put.

I think trading down will make it too complicated and less helpful for people who are following.

Trading during a draft rarely happens since most people draft online and w/quick rounds, imo.

I'm at 3 but would like 12. Don't care about trading just want to swap if possible.

Oh, I'm not talking about trading picks after the draft has started either. Just the original draft spots, if everyone is fine with that.

Oh, I'm not talking about trading picks after the draft has started either. Just the original draft spots, if everyone is fine with that.

Ditto that.