Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

avatoot

Daniel Straily Sp Oak

I have been following this guy a little lately and I think he may be called up sometime this season to the A's to start some games. The stats I have are from AA where he currently leads in SOs with 108. Numbers look solid to me. He has always been a strikeout pitcher in his minor league career. At least a K per inning pitcher.

Here are this Season's AA Stats

Game Starts 14

Record 3-4

ERA 3.38

IP 85.1

Hits 70

ER 32

HR 6

BB 23

SO 108

Opposing BA .224

Last pictched June 15: IP8 H1 HR1 BB0 SO9

I believe he has since been promoted to AAA PCL Sacramento River Rats since his profile now shows no current stats for AAA. Obivously he is now in a hitters league and I would like to see how he handles the jump. I believe since the A's rotation is neither good or ever healthy that he may get a shot sometime maybe soon to start some games for the A's. I believe he is 23 and has pitched in the Minors since 09. Drafted 24th round of 2009 Draft by the A's. With the current injury to Colon and with McCarthy hurt every other week not to mention Blackley not faring well I think he could be a canidate soon to be given a shot. Graham Godfrey has been doing well in the minors and started in the A's rotation earlier this season but did not do well at all. Brad Peacock has not had good #s in AAA this season. So Straily could be a darkhorse to make the rotation this season.

I don't know much else on him as far as pitch selection or what his mph tops out at. Im looking for some more info on him if anybody can add to this. He was playing for AA Midland in the Texas League and has been selected to this year's TEX Mid-Season All-Star team.

Please share if you have any more about him as he may help down the stretch in some deeper Fantasy Leagues this season.

Here's the best info I could find on him:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/6/18/3093352/prospect-of-the-day-dan-straily-rhp-oakland-athletics

Have not seen him pitch, hasn't even been on my radar, but thanks for the heads up on him. Going to try and see him when possible, looks intriguing, made a few mechanical adjustments and is wowing people.

I think we see him a bit next ST, as the A's have decent prospects pitching for them now. They seem to love Ross, and Blackley and Godfrey will get long looks to see what they have.

Godfrey actually has looked real good in Sacramento with an era of 1.6. Hasn't translated to the bigs yet, but they feel he's a future SP3-4 for them.

Anyway, good find.

FISH ON!!

FISH ON!!

And lets not forget Brad Peacock.

With Parker/ Milone/Peacock/ McCarthy as the future 4, that leaves only 1, maybe 2 positions available, depending on how they view McCarthy for the long term, for Godfret/Blackley/and Ross to battle for those slots.

This kid may sniff the majors by late 13, possibly 14, but as you can see, the A's have a few trade chips with these prospects, as not all of them will be with the club for extended time if they feel the need to make a trade or 2.

FISH ON!!

With Parker/ Milone/Peacock/ McCarthy as the future 4, that leaves only 1, maybe 2 positions available, depending on how they view McCarthy for the long term, for Godfret/Blackley/and Ross to battle for those slots.

This kid may sniff the majors by late 13, possibly 14, but as you can see, the A's have a few trade chips with these prospects, as not all of them will be with the club for extended time if they feel the need to make a trade or 2.

FISH ON!!

How about A.J. Griffin? He's one to keep any eye on too.

I was shooting from the hip in my post and totally forgot about him. The A's have a long history of producing awesome SP's, and looking at all their levels, they're holding true to this. Will be interesting to see who is where come next year.

FISH ON!!

FISH ON!!

Peacock has been awful this year. He's not ready for the majors, at least this year. Which is why Straily could be a darkhorse if the A's keep experiencing injuries and suckage in their starting rotation. Not sure what they see in Tyson Ross/Blackley/Godfrey. Those are AAAA guys who are throwing batting practice and getting destroyed in the bigs.

Please let us know what you think of Straily once you see him pitch.

Straily was a 24th round pick in 2009 from Marshall University in West Virginia. He’s had two solid inning-eating seasons in A-ball for Oakland and should transition to Double-A this year. He has a low-90s fastball (some reports have him in the mid- 90s), a solid curve, and a changeup. While none of his offerings are truly outstanding, he throws strikes and was consistently effective in the California League last year. This doesn’t guarantee success at higher levels, of course. Shawn Haviland had a similar season at Stockton in 2010 and wasn’t able to bring it forward to Double-A, although Straily’s stuff is better and I think he has a better chance to succeed against tougher competition. Grade C+.

John Sickels Piece on him^^^^

Doesn't sound like a guy that would have 108 K's in 85 IP. Must have improved his secondary stuff, or some1 missed the boat

Its tough to get a read on guys like this. I group him with Julio Rodriguez of the Phillies.

They are both putting up great numbers at Double A but I don't know exactly how it will play out at the major league level. I don't really project him as anymore of a #4 SP but he's put up solid numbers at every level. Just remember that this Oak rotation will be jumbled in a few years, you are also missing Brett Anderson in the rotation.

I see this rotation:

McCarthy

Parker

Anderson

Peacock

Milone/Sonny Gray(maybe the closer?)/Griffin/AJ Cole/Straily/other fodder...doesn't leave a lot of room for error.

He may have some short term success but I think its gonna be hard for him to find that locked down rotation spot.

also add Dallas Braden in the mix. A's have a plethora of arms at their disposal for the future and it'll be interesting how this shakes itself out.

I for one, as an A's fan can only hope they use one or two of them to get us some offense. One or two more bats to compliment Reddick/Smith/Moss. A 3b with pop and perhaps a 4-5 tool CF is all I ask for X-mas. They have the arms to deal.

Anyway, back to Straily, he was a mediocre starter when first drafted, sitting in the high 80's. A few mechanical adjustments to his wind up and delivery have added some MPH to his FB, topping out in the mid-lowhigh 90's. 93-94, and as high as 96-97 from what I've read.

Scouts seem to love his movement, and his large frame should allow him to be durable. Next time they're in my area, I'm going to watch him if I can.

Future looks bright in the Bay Area.

FISH ON!!

Also have Dallas Braden coming back. Pretty nice rotation for years to come if him and Anderson can come back healthy

Update from mlbprospectwatch.com on 7/6/12.

• Dan Straily continued his domination of the minor leagues, throwing seven shutout innings and striking out seven, as the A's prospect earned his third win since moving to Triple-A, and lowered his ERA at the level to 1.04.

My boy is still rolling. Hopefully he gets a shot to start this year. I think hes earned it.

Update from mlbprospectwatch.com on 7/6/12.

• Dan Straily continued his domination of the minor leagues, throwing seven shutout innings and striking out seven, as the A's prospect earned his third win since moving to Triple-A, and lowered his ERA at the level to 1.04.

My boy is still rolling. Hopefully he gets a shot to start this year. I think hes earned it.

Wow - this kid continues a phenomenal year and is now SLAYING in the PCL - very impressive. Thanks a lot of passing him along, knew nothing about him until I saw your initial post and have been following him since.

• Jason (Walnut Creek, CA): Can you tell us more about Daniel Straily? How hard does he throw and how does he get so many Strikeouts? Does he have any Plus pitches?

Jim Shonerd: Straily works in the low 90s and pounds the strike zone. He doesn't have one pitch that blows you away, but his fastball, change and slider are all quality pitches. He also has a get-me-over curveball. Could see him as a No. 3-4 type starter.

7 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 13 K vs a good Las Vegas lineup earlier tonight.

BOX:

http://www.milb.com/...lvgaaa_srcaaa_1

He got the loss - he sucks ;)

He's making the PCL look like he's Verlander pitching at Williamsport.

It's amazing how overlooked he was, he really has came out of nowhere from where he stood at Marshall to what he is now. Here's a nice little write up with some video.

http://releasepoints.com/2012/07/06/prospect-watch-daniel-straily/

7 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 13 K vs a good Las Vegas lineup earlier tonight.

BOX:

http://www.milb.com/...lvgaaa_srcaaa_1

He got the loss - he sucks ;)

He's making the PCL look like he's Verlander pitching at Williamsport.

It's amazing how overlooked he was, he really has came out of nowhere from where he stood at Marshall to what he is now. Here's a nice little write up with some video.

http://releasepoints.com/2012/07/06/prospect-watch-daniel-straily/

Good info FearTheBeard. This guy cant be ignored any longer.

They tweaked he mechanics a bit, changed his arm slot and overall delivery since being drafted.

I finally got to the park to see him pitch last night. WOW, color me impressed. As with Parker, this kid has the poise needed to succeed at the higher levels. It's truly amazing how the A's fine these gems consistently. Had total command of everything. Eric Thames tattoo'd his only mistake when he left one a little up. He sits in the mid 90's easily, and touched 96 a few times last night in the 6th, which was quite impressive since he was already at 100 pitches. His off speed stuff kept everyone off balance and was nasty at times. The varying speeds he offers reminds me a lot of Jared Parker with the 10-15mph differences. Just looking at the talented l/u he faced last night, Thames, Snider, Gose, Cooper, Yan Gomes, you get an idea of how talented this kid is, and how good he can be.

The outlook for the A's rotation looks great for many years with him and Parker, and all the other young arms they possess. This is another time I'll recommend to anyone, that if you get the opportunity to see this kid, by all means, do it, you'll be getting a glimpse of another future stud SP.

FISH ON!!

They tweaked he mechanics a bit, changed his arm slot and overall delivery since being drafted.

I finally got to the park to see him pitch last night. WOW, color me impressed. As with Parker, this kid has the poise needed to succeed at the higher levels. It's truly amazing how the A's fine these gems consistently. Had total command of everything. Eric Thames tattoo'd his only mistake when he left one a little up. He sits in the mid 90's easily, and touched 96 a few times last night in the 6th, which was quite impressive since he was already at 100 pitches. His off speed stuff kept everyone off balance and was nasty at times. The varying speeds he offers reminds me a lot of Jared Parker with the 10-15mph differences. Just looking at the talented l/u he faced last night, Thames, Snider, Gose, Cooper, Yan Gomes, you get an idea of how talented this kid is, and how good he can be.

The outlook for the A's rotation looks great for many years with him and Parker, and all the other young arms they possess. This is another time I'll recommend to anyone, that if you get the opportunity to see this kid, by all means, do it, you'll be getting a glimpse of another future stud SP.

FISH ON!!

Great post, what do you think are the odds he sees the rotation this year? Colon or McCarthy would have to get traded?

FISH ON!!

Great post, what do you think are the odds he sees the rotation this year? Colon or McCarthy would have to get traded?

Or hit the DL. Certainly possible.

anything is possible. He certainly has the stamina to pitch late in the season having tossed 140+, then 164+ innings the past 2 seasons. Would be great for fantasy playoffs. I'm going to leave him in my minors at least for the rest of this year and see how they approach him next ST.

But with all of the other arms the A's have used and are awaiting on returns from the DL, I don't see any need for them to rush a promotion this year. He could still benefit from more seasoning in the minors. Not saying he isn't ready, just that a little more polishing would do him some good. Gotta figure with Milone/Parker/Blackley all pitching well, and Colon being shopped, and McCarthy returning soon, Ross in the wings, and Braden/Anderson returning at some point this summer, there really is no room for him yet.

A trade or 2 and or an injury might speed up his promotion, but not expecting to see him in Oakland until possibly next season. It works for me, as I'm only 30 or so miles from Sacramento whereas I'm 70 or so miles from Oakland, selfish, I know, but the grand-kids love going to the games. I digress.

Sure is a treat being in the hub of the minor ball clubs for the A's and Giants, getting to see all their raw, up and coming talent as they develop.

Look for Straily as a possible Sept call up, if not, ST should be a good indicator as to what the teams' plans is regarding him.

Enjoy

FISH ON!!

oops, forgot all about AJ Griffin pitching well too, whom I'm also rostering in my 15 team roto league.

Another arm Straily has to contend with. Brad Peacock also in the minors. Such a plethora of talented arms the A's have..bright future ahead.

FISH ON!!

Sonny Gray is another strong prospect in their system

I would love to see a couple of them traded for much needed bats to bolster their O. We have not had a potent offense in some years, and if this team ever puts good O on the field to support their great pitching, they could contend again. Bring back the "Bay Bombers", please!! or the "Handle Bar Mustache 70's"

FISH ON!!