Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

avatoot

Daniel Straily Sp Oak

Now he has hit RWs top weekly pickups at #21

Dan Straily SP, Athletics

AL ONLY

(Yahoo: N/A, ESPN: N/A)

These days, it's rare that a prospect comes out nowhere to surprise us. However, that's exactly what has happened with Straily in 2012. The 23-year-old right-hander wasn't included among the A's top 30 prospects by Baseball America coming into the season, yet he has a 2.64 ERA and a minor-league leading 162 strikeouts through 126 1/3 innings. This includes a microscopic 1.10 ERA and 54/10 K/BB ratio over 41 innings since being promoted from Double-A Midland to Triple-A Sacramento. Pretty impressive for the Pacific Coast League. With a low-90s fastball, slider and changeup in his arsenal, Straily should get his first taste of the big leagues later this summer. Stash in keeper leagues and put him on your watch list in AL-only formats.

Problem is he is not in anyones fantasy league's player pool.

avatoot can u link me to the top weekly pickups ???

rotoworld front page. this weeks top pickups.

On to Straily. A's are in contention still for the wildcard, not so sure they'll be sellers, but might be buyers, which could lead to a SP going for another impact bat to compliment the current mashers. However they decide to go, Straily would have an immediate impact IF he can transition into the bigs, which should be no problem given his arsenal.

Promoting him would in essence, be the same as making a big trade for an arm which may just push them over the top as far as a run for the WC. Susan Slusser is under the impression that a trade is imminent, just not sure on the name going, or who the A's are targeting. As much as I believe they need a big bat at 3b, it's hard to argue with Inges' glove work with the GB's they A's pitching staff generates.

It'll be interesting to see what transpires in the next 2 weeks. But they do need to make room for this kid soon if they intend on contending for the WC.

Impatiently awaiting his call up.

FISH ON!!

thanks avatoot. hope he gets called up soon i want to put this guy on my roster already

Man....I am thinking the A's would either have to make 2 trades or possibly go to a 6 man rotation (which wouldn't be bad if they don't trade McCarthy to give him extra rest) so that Straily might get a shot this year. Currently they have

1. Colon

2. Milone

3. Parker

4. Blackley

5. Griffin

And then you have McCarthy, Braden, and Anderson all on the DL but probably close to coming off of it sometime in August.

Then there is Straily.

That's 9 SP's in all. Say one of the 3 on the DL isn't quite ready yet, that cuts you down to 8. Say a trade of one of Colon/McCarthy would get you down to 7. The most expendable one would be Blackley to send to the bullpen or back down in my opinion.

It must be nice to have this kind of depth and quality depth at your disposal.

Wish he was in yahoos player pool....the word is starting to get out on this guy. Big feature on MLB network part night....only a matter of time before he's on everyone's radar.

Man, that Oakland pitching depth reeeeeally makes this difficult to predict. I'm dead set on using my #1 claim on him, but it's gonna be risky given that Oakland staff.

Per MLBTradeRumors.com 7/20/12

Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports suggests we shouldn't be surprised if the Athletics work to add right-hander Daniel Straily to their rotation at some point soon. The 23-year-old has a 2.64 ERA with 162 strikeouts in 126 1/3 innings in the upper minors this year.

Looks like the A's are going to try and trade somebody to make room in the rotation.

thanks avatoot! what are we expecting from this guy if he gets the call is he a must add in mixed leagues? The way all these young pitchers are succeeding in oakland id imagine he could come in and have an immediate impact. im gonna be watching this situation closely

Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports suggests we shouldn't be surprised if the Athletics work to add right-hander Daniel Straily to their rotation at some point soon. The 23-year-old has a 2.64 ERA with 162 strikeouts in 126 1/3 innings in the upper minors this year.

Looks like the A's are going to try and trade somebody to make room in the rotation.

Thanks! You've posted some really good stuff in the minor league forum, while some wanted to attack you in the Wheeler thread, I tried to give a perspective that favored your point of view because I know you're a good poster. Doesn't mean we have to agree all the time, but someone shouldn't be looked as as someone who has no clue what their talking about, when that isn't the case IMO.

Good job and thanks again!

Thanks! You've posted some really good stuff in the minor league forum, while some wanted to attack you in the Wheeler thread, I tried to give a perspective that favored your point of view because I know you're a good poster. Doesn't mean we have to agree all the time, but someone shouldn't be looked as as someone who has no clue what their talking about, when that isn't the case IMO.

Good job and thanks again!

Yeah I saw your post in the Wheeler thread. Thanks for having an open mind. I think Zumayaaaa just always has a negative spin on everyone elses posts. I think Straily has best chance for the greatest impact in the MLB of the players still in the minors this season.

thanks avatoot! what are we expecting from this guy if he gets the call is he a must add in mixed leagues? The way all these young pitchers are succeeding in oakland id imagine he could come in and have an immediate impact. im gonna be watching this situation closely

I definately think he is a must add at this point when he gets the call. Playing in Oakland just adds to the attractiveness of this great prospect.

Trade deadline is a week and a half... When do u guys think he gets the call ?

I think as soon as somebody from the rotation gets traded they will give him the call. To complicate things Anderson and Braden are getting closer to returning. That being said the A's do have a long history of trading their star starting pitchers. Examples Rich Harden, Cahill. Not sure if Mulder, Zito & Hudson were traded or free agent signings.

I think as soon as somebody from the rotation gets traded they will give him the call. To complicate things Anderson and Braden are getting closer to returning. That being said the A's do have a long history of trading their star starting pitchers. Examples Rich Harden, Cahill. Not sure if Mulder, Zito & Hudson were traded or free agent signings.

Mulder and Hudson were both traded. The Mulder trade is how they got Haren, who the A's also ended up trading. Beane is a smart guy. He knows that the Coliseum makes his pitcher's stats look good to other teams. Also why he likes to stockpile young arms, since he knows he'll always be able to flip them if needed. Another recent example is Gio Gonzalez.

Today:

6 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 9 K, 94 pitches (65 strikes), 6 GB/1 FB

Today:

6 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 9 K, 94 pitches (65 strikes), 6 GB/1 FB

That is just sick! Love the ground ball to fly ball ratio.

I wonder what his put away pitch is?

This is in the PCL, correct?

Gotta make room for this guy. If the A's are serious about contending, they'll make it happen. If they're not, he'll be up in September.

Absolutely no reason to block him with the likes of Colon, Blackley, McCarthy, Braden, and Anderson. One really old veteran, one 30-year old pitching waaaaay above his head, and three starters made of glass.

Honestly, if I were an A's fan and Straily doesn't get called up within a week I would stop watching the games.

Just returned home from todays game. The kid was straight dealing. Sat between 91-94 all day long. Such a wicked slider/curve combo.

His out pitch is the change of speed stuff, doesn't rely on a single pitch, it's whatever's working. Today it was the slider. Great movement, and as I've posted earlier, the speed difference is so deceiving batters are left off balance and flailing. The first of the 2 doubles he gave up today should've been caught, the other was a lace job. This kid is something special.

The A's are going to be sporting one of, if not the best starting rotations in baseball when this kid gets the call.

Parker

Straily

Milone

AJ Griffin

and one of: Anderson/Peacock/Braden.

One more bat people, one more bat

FISH ON!!

Just returned home from todays game. The kid was straight dealing. Sat between 91-94 all day long. Such a wicked slider/curve combo.

His out pitch is the change of speed stuff, doesn't rely on a single pitch, it's whatever's working. Today it was the slider. Great movement, and as I've posted earlier, the speed difference is so deceiving batters are left off balance and flailing. The first of the 2 doubles he gave up today should've been caught, the other was a lace job. This kid is something special.

The A's are going to be sporting one of, if not the best starting rotations in baseball when this kid gets the call.

Parker

Straily

Milone

AJ Griffin

and one of: Anderson/Peacock/Braden.

One more bat people, one more bat

FISH ON!!

Good stuff! Thanks!

living in Stockton, I have the pleasure of seeing the A's single A team, the Ports, just downtown, as well as being a 40 min drive to see the AAA River Cats. Braden, McCarthy and Anderson are in Stockton for a bit in their first stop of the rehab process, so next I hear of them pitching, I'll try to get there and report what I'm seeing.

Sure would like them to make a trade already, this kid belongs in the show now.