Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

avatoot

Daniel Straily Sp Oak

From Kevin Goldstein, via RotoProfessor.com:

Kevin Goldstein said Monday in his Monday Morning Ten Pack on Baseball Prospectus, “Straily attacks the strike zone with three plus pitches: a 90-93 mph fastball that can touch 95, and a slider and changeup combination that can keep both left-handed and right-handed hitters off balance. It might sound weird, but the A’s are in a playoff race and Straily could get a shot at helping their cause this year.”

http://rotoprofessor.com/baseball/?p=15485

(post is from a week ago)

I hate ESPN for not having him available; I've wanted to stash this guys for weeks now.

Same here. Luckily I have the #1 waiver claim. (sorry if I've mentioned that too much lol)

He has another absolute gem - kid is having an unbelievable year.

6IP, 3H, 1BB, 9Ks

He has another absolute gem - kid is having an unbelievable year.

6IP, 3H, 1BB, 9Ks

Little late to the party lol. But thanks.

Straily isn't in yahoos player pool...thoughts on what level of waiver claim is worth it when he is added/called up?

Straily isn't in yahoos player pool...thoughts on what level of waiver claim is worth it when he is added/called up?

This guy is dominating in PCL, dude is gold IMO. Based on pure stats, I would do what it takes to get this guy. Just keep in mind nothing is a sure thing till u see it, and it happens.

He's already pitched 132 innings this year including tonight's game. No ones worried about an innings cap this season?

He's already pitched 132 innings this year including tonight's game. No ones worried about an innings cap this season?

I didn't realize that. Yeah, that concerns me. I wonder when they may consider shutting him down?

He's 23 so he's not a 20/21 year old baby.

2010 he pitched 148 innings, 160.2 in 2011 but dropped last year to 126. Im assuming he missed some time last year due to injury. Maybe they cap him at 180?

2010 he pitched 148 innings, 160.2 in 2011 but dropped last year to 126. Im assuming he missed some time last year due to injury. Maybe they cap him at 180?

You bring up a great point. The A's management have to be considering this too. I mean, if their considering calling him up. I think if he's called up, when they shut him down depends on how successful the A's are the rest of the season. If 180 is the limit, that's not many games, and you have to consider he's still in the minors.

Gotta make room for this guy. If the A's are serious about contending, they'll make it happen. If they're not, he'll be up in September.

Absolutely no reason to block him with the likes of Colon, Blackley, McCarthy, Braden, and Anderson. One really old veteran, one 30-year old pitching waaaaay above his head, and three starters made of glass.

Honestly, if I were an A's fan and Straily doesn't get called up within a week I would stop watching the games.

Or you could appreciate what they've put together and have some faith in your team.

He should be up soon based on his performances but to label their current rotation as "One really old veteran, one 30-year old pitching waaaaay above his head, and three starters made of glass." is dismissing how great they've been this year. They have the 4th best era in baseball. Their team era is 3.37. The next closest AL team has an era of 3.67. Give some credit to the old man and others.

Gotta make room for this guy. If the A's are serious about contending, they'll make it happen. If they're not, he'll be up in September.

Absolutely no reason to block him with the likes of Colon, Blackley, McCarthy, Braden, and Anderson. One really old veteran, one 30-year old pitching waaaaay above his head, and three starters made of glass.

Honestly, if I were an A's fan and Straily doesn't get called up within a week I would stop watching the games.

Or you could appreciate what they've put together and have some faith in your team.

He should be up soon based on his performances but to label their current rotation as "One really old veteran, one 30-year old pitching waaaaay above his head, and three starters made of glass." is dismissing how great they've been this year. They have the 4th best era in baseball. Their team era is 3.37. The next closest AL team has an era of 3.67. Give some credit to the old man and others.

I most of the the credit to their home stadium. Their starters are nowhere near that good, it's an effect Billy Beane has made a career out of taking advantage.

I most of the the credit to their home stadium. Their starters are nowhere near that good, it's an effect Billy Beane has made a career out of taking advantage.

And? Are they going pitch the rest of their home games in Yankee stadium?

Last I checked, 2011 was last year? You sure that the 126 isn't a count for this year so far? If he pitched 160 last year, then he should be good for 190, maybe 200 innings this year I would think.

Relax dude. I didn't mention Parker, Milone, and Griffin. I think they're all legit. But I described Colon, Blackley, Anderson, Braden, and McCarthy perfectly.

Milone is only legit in Oakland. He sucks on the road. He's not really any good, but Oakland masks a ton of his flaws.

Milone is only legit in Oakland. He sucks on the road. He's not really any good, but Oakland masks a ton of his flaws.

Hes terrible, thats why his command is second best in the bigs to Cliff Lee. And hes a rookie who is starting to come around in the second half, like most rookies do after gettting adjusted to the bigs.

Relax dude. I didn't mention Parker, Milone, and Griffin. I think they're all legit. But I described Colon, Blackley, Anderson, Braden, and McCarthy perfectly.

I'm perfectly relaxed.

It doesn't really matter if they're pitching above their talent level, assisted by the home ballpark, or whatever other reason folks want to give. Bottom line, they're pitching well. Straily should definitely be up soon based on his performances. There's no denying he's destroyed the minors this year and needs a callup. But your post made it seem like Oakland is in desperate need for some help in the rotation/bullpen. They might be if/when players crash back to earth/get hurt. But right now they have the luxury of keeping Straily in the minors.

It doesn't really matter if they're pitching above their talent level, assisted by the home ballpark, or whatever other reason folks want to give. Bottom line, they're pitching well. Straily should definitely be up soon based on his performances. There's no denying he's destroyed the minors this year and needs a callup. But your post made it seem like Oakland is in desperate need for some help in the rotation/bullpen. They might be if/when players crash back to earth/get hurt. But right now they have the luxury of keeping Straily in the minors.

No, I don't think they desperate. They can stay afloat with what they have. But if they want to make a serious playoff push, they'll bring up Straily, who can be a difference-maker.

No, I don't think they desperate. They can stay afloat with what they have. But if they want to make a serious playoff push, they'll bring up Straily, who can be a difference-maker.

It's not pitching where they need a difference maker. Their current performances are already difference makers. They need a bat. Preferably a shortstop. Have to imagine we'll at least see Colon shipped off to clear up some space for Straily. As amazing as Straily has performed, it's not an easy situation. With everyone getting healthy the team is already going to struggle to fit their 'normal' guys into the rotation. Throw Straily into the mix and it's a problem. It's a nice problem to have, but it's still a problem.

Another angle - wonder if they'd consider going to a 6 man rotation if they don't make a trade? I'm skeptical a few of these guys will continue to pitch as well as they have, but until it actually happens it's hard to take anyone out of the rotation. Colon has been the weakest link but even he's been serviceable.

Sometimes it's best to do a little research before making a statement like this^^^^^:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1164782-oakland-athletics-is-tommy-milone-good-or-just-lucky

another one. Read the whole article, not just what you want to see, all of it:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/players/playerpage/1846229/tommy-milone

When you evaluate this type of pitcher, looking at ALL the stats, he reminds you of another Tom, as in Glavine, and as mentioned above, even Zito. Not overpowering stuff, but a control artist with positive results. Now, I've been around a looong time, and last I heard, Glavine was pretty damn good, and so was Zito in his prime.

This kid is still that, a kid, that is making his mark in that A's rotation. I'm sure you've seen some of these other "kids" getting all the hype, only to get called up and fall flat on their faces. Bauer ring a bell? How about Turner?. I'll stop there, my point is this kid got zero hype, but look what he's done, home park be damned, he's faced the top hitting clubs and shut the door on them.

I digress.

Back to Straily, I'm sure the A's are going to make every effort to get him to the club. With mention that they're looking at Hanley, might be a minor arm or 2 are going to be shipped with perhaps McCarthy or Colon, although if Mia is rebuilding, Colon doesn't fit a long term scenario, but we can only hope.

Here's to seeing the kid ASAP!!

FISH ON!!

Not to get off topic too much, but Milone wouldn't be nearly as good if he pitched away from Oakland all the time. What he did in HS/College is irrelevant now. Comparing him to Glavine, a HOFer, is silly.

From a recent Keith Law chat:

Mr. Milone (Oaktown 357)

Are you a little surprised by my success, or at least, survival at the big league level?

Klaw

(2:15 PM)

You're a creation of the ballpark. On the road you're giving up a .307/.354/.535 line, including 14 of your 15 home runs allowed. Fringy stuff guys get murdered in neutral or hitters' parks because they can't stop the home runs.