Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

smeartheraiderfan

Ronnie Hillman 2012 Season Outlook

305 posts in this topic

I've been hearing chatter about Denver rookie RB Ronnie Hillman. Some say he could overtake the lead back by mid-season seeing how he's a better fit for Manning's stretch offense.

McGahee, while productive, is old and injury prone. Moreno has been injured and failed to impress, Ball is backup-caliber... is the door wide open for this guy to be an every down back or will he only serve as Sproles-like pass catching back?

I'd like to hear from people who saw him play at San Diego State. Is he the next Marshall Faulk?

He is one of my favorite sleepers this year based on opportunity and what I see watching his game tape. However, we all know how John Fox loves to lean on his veteran players and that cannot bode well for him. He is very shifty with great vision and power and is a guy who could blow the doors off of his ADP if McGahee were to prove ineffective or get hurt.

I dont think the Broncos are going to overhaul the running game as much as that report stated. (I read it too but forget which one it was, maybe it was from this fine website of Rotoworld). The passing game I totally understand as it makes perfect sense to suit it to Mannings' needs and abilities, but Fox has an excellent history with the running game and I think Peyton would acknowledge that himself. Another factor is how to run the stretch successfully you need a very mobile offensive line which I don't believe the Broncos have. They were much more suited to run power runs last season if memory serves.

According to Bronco beat writers, didn't come close to sniffing 1st team reps in OTAs and minicamps. I think he's an OK late round pick for dynasty leagues, borderline undraftable in all but the deepest redraft leagues. At least until the injuries start mounting.

The big knock was pass protection and we know Peyton is putting up with "Dammit Ronald" this time around.

1 person likes this

According to Bronco beat writers, didn't come close to sniffing 1st team reps in OTAs and minicamps. I think he's an OK late round pick for dynasty leagues, borderline undraftable in all but the deepest redraft leagues. At least until the injuries start mounting.

The big knock was pass protection and we know Peyton is putting up with "Dammit Ronald" this time around.

Borderline undraftable seems way, way pessimistic. At the very least, he is a high-upside handcuff to McGahee owners.

Borderline undraftable seems way, way pessimistic. At the very least, he is a high-upside handcuff to McGahee owners.

Completely agree.

Hillman is actually a bit of a mini-beast, imo, but expectations should be tempered for the 20 year old... he is not a feature back.

Having said that, McGahee is also not a 20-25 carry guy and Moreno is not ready to return.

If Hillman can't pass protect that, in this situation, makes him a candidate to see the ball on early downs.

As an earlier poster said, Fox knows how to implement the running game, and despite his general reluctance to rely on rookies in featured roles, he doesn't have Deangelo Williams or Jonathan Stewart anymore.

Hillman's a little too good to not have a role in this offense...

Seems like he would be the perfect Sproles-like scat back pass catcher that is so popular these days. I'll be watching this guy closely in the pre-season. I've been collecting these kind of guys on my roster and it sounds like I may be adding another this season :ph34r:

Completely agree.

Hillman is actually a bit of a mini-beast, imo, but expectations should be tempered for the 20 year old... he is not a feature back.

Having said that, McGahee is also not a 20-25 carry guy and Moreno is not ready to return.

If Hillman can't pass protect that, in this situation, makes him a candidate to see the ball on early downs.

As an earlier poster said, Fox knows how to implement the running game, and despite his general reluctance to rely on rookies in featured roles, he doesn't have Deangelo Williams or Jonathan Stewart anymore.

Hillman's a little too good to not have a role in this offense...

You guys are both right. Way too early to write him off based on lack of participation in pre-training camp activities. I'll be watching closely in the preseason to see how much time he's getting and how that speed he displayed in college translates to the faster pro game. I'm still harboring doubts about his ability to break tackles at this level though. Will withhold further judgement for redraft leagues until I see some pro tape. Will bump in dynasty rankings based on potential future role (as McGahee ages) and a slew of ridiculous college runs. Thanks to both of you for making me take a second look at my opinion on this one.

McGahee is gonna be 30/31 this season so if nothing else he's gonna be more injury prone than most NFL backs. If Hillman is even just the primary backup he probably starts 3-4 games this year.

It doesn't really matter how good the kid is if he doesn't know the offense and doesn't know how to pass protect. Peyton isn't going to put up with rookie mistakes, especially if they could lead to him getting injured again. I agree that it's too early to immediately cast him off (as it is with any player), but I wouldn't count on him making an impact.

It doesn't really matter how good the kid is if he doesn't know the offense and doesn't know how to pass protect. Peyton isn't going to put up with rookie mistakes, especially if they could lead to him getting injured again. I agree that it's too early to immediately cast him off (as it is with any player), but I wouldn't count on him making an impact.

3 people like this

I don't really trust this kid either... he's obviously going to make the team, but so is Willis, and so is Knowshon barring a setback. That puts him third on the depth chart and really, when has Peyton ever utilized a running back in the passing game, a la Darren Sproles? Unless I am missing someone pretty good, I don't remember Edge or Addai catching a large amount of passes (or receiving a volume of targets). Factor in John Fox and there isn't much hre for me. That said, if the price is right I'd obviously take a flier.

I don't really trust this kid either... he's obviously going to make the team, but so is Willis, and so is Knowshon barring a setback. That puts him third on the depth chart and really, when has Peyton ever utilized a running back in the passing game, a la Darren Sproles? Unless I am missing someone pretty good, I don't remember Edge or Addai catching a large amount of passes (or receiving a volume of targets). Factor in John Fox and there isn't much hre for me. That said, if the price is right I'd obviously take a flier.

Addai and James caught at least 40 passes in each season where he played least 15 games, and in James case it was 50+ every year in IND with the exception of 2 years in one he only played 6 games, caught 24 ( still a pretty good number) and the other 15 for 44

and then lets not forget about Faulk who caught 86 with IND in Manning's rookie year

so it is silly to say Manning doesn't use his RB in the passing game. Manning used his RB more than most.

Then I simply forgot about that. That does change my opinion of Hillman a little bit as long as he isn't third on the depth chart. Thanks for doing the digging for me.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/20/john-elway-stresses-balance-for-broncos-offense/

Interesting article on PFT this afternoon.

Here was what I had to say in the RB thread.....

Broncos - Primary - Knowshon Moreno, Willis McGahee, Ronnie Hillman

Going auction value - Less than $1 each

Two of these guys aren't really that great, one of these guys isn't going to make the team, and one of these guys could be a breakout candidate with a $1 flyer pick at the end of the draft. Yes, Yes. I know it's a Peyton Manning offense now, but here are some past stats I will let you guys mull over as well as some point values for .5 PPR leagues.

Colts 1998 - Faulk - 324 Attempts, 1319 Yards, 6 TDs, 86 Receptions, 908 Yards, 4 TDs - 287 Points

Colts 1999 - Edgerrin James - 369 Attempts, 1553 Yards, 13 TDs, 62 Rec, 586 Yards, 4 TDs - 319 Points

Colts 2000 - Edgerrin James - 387 Attempts, 1709 Yards, 13 TDs. 63 Rec, 594 Yards. 5 TDs - 340 Points

Colts 2001 - Domonic Rhodes - 233 Attempts, 1104 Yards, 9 TDs. 34 Rec, 224 Yards, 0 TDs - 196 Points

Colts 2002 - Edgerrin James - 227 Attempts, 989 Yards, 2 TDs, 61 Rec, 354 Yards, 11 TDs - 209 Points

Colts 2003 - Edgerrin James - 310 Attempts, 1259 Yards, 11 TDs, 51 Rec, 292 Yards, 0 TDs - 236 Points

Colts 2004 - Edgerrin James - 334 Attempts, 1548 Yards, 9 TDs, 51 Rec, 483 Yards, 0 TDs - 266 Points

Colts 2005 - Edgerrin James - 360 Attempts, 1506 Yards, 13 TDs, 44 Rec, 337 Yards, 1 TD - 277 Points

Colts 2006 - Joseph Addai - 226 Attempts, 1081 Yards, 7 TDs, 40 Rec, 325 Yards, 1 TD - 195 Points

Colts 2007 - Joseph Addai - 261 Attempts, 1072 Yards, 12 TDs, 41 Rec, 364 Yards, 3 TDs - 235 Points

Joseph Addai had a 12-game season in 2008...

Colts 2008 - Addai/Dhominic Rhodes - 307 Attempts, 1082 Yards, 11 TDs, 70 Rec, 508 Yards, 5 TDs - 263 Points

Colts 2009 - Joseph Addai - 219 Attempts, 828 Yards, 10 TDs, 51 Rec, 336 Yards, 3 TDs - 202 Points

Joseph Addai had another short season in 2010...

Colts 2010 - Addai/Donald Brown - 245 Attempts, 992 Yards, 6 TDs, 39 Rec, 329 Yards, 0 TDs - 176 Points

Compared to last year, those numbers are good enough to end up in the Top 15 running backs EVERY YEAR of Mannings career.

*pops Holben's bubble*

Ronnie Hillman: 190lbs

Dominic Rhodes: 203lbs

http://www.nfl.com/p...2504378/profile

Marshall Faulk: 211lbs

Edgerrin James: 220lbs

Joseph Addai: 214lbs

Willis McGahee: 235lbs

Which one would you want on the field as much as possible to protect/block for your $96 million QB that is coming off of 3 neck surgeries?

The 5'9" 190lb rookie? Or the 6'0" 235lb veteran?

There's a reason that the Colts kept Joseph Addai around as their starter while Peyton Manning was the Colt's starting QB, and it wasn't because Addai was a supremely talented runner. Someone bust out that "God damnit Donald!" clip.

Plus, who here thinks that Peyton Manning, coming off of 3 neck surgeries, is going to be making any head-first dives across the goal line (QB sneaks)? Willis McGahee will not only be their primary rusher, but also their primary blocker/blitz pickup/3rd down back (just like Addai was), AND the goal line back.

Hillman will certainly have some packages made up for him, but I seriously, seriously doubt he sees extensive playing time his rookie season barring a McGahee injury. Hillman's ceiling would seem to be severely capped by the above reasons.

Plus, it's not like McGahee can't catch either - he had 43 receptions in 2007 when he was used as the primary back for the Ravens, along with nearly 300 rushing attempts that season.

You can't compare McGahee's reception total from last year because Tebow simply didn't throw many passes, especially to his RB.

please forward all RB talk to the Jackie Battle thread

did I say Jackie Battle thread? I meant epicenter of the universe ... same thing

1 person likes this

*pops Holben's bubble*

Which one would you want on the field as much as possible to protect/block for your $96 million QB that is coming off of 3 neck surgeries?

The 5'9" 190lb rookie? Or the 6'0" 235lb veteran?

Werd plus Shanny hasn't coached DEN since 2008 so unpredictable, mental patient, RB depth chart moves are gone.

This being said, if Manning looks great, has no residual health issues and Hillman shows he can pass protect he may be worth a look in a ppr league mid-season.

I see Hillman being more used in a Dexter McCluster type role as opposed to a Darren Sproles type role.

More Hillman in the slot, being moved around, less him in the backfield where he might have to block.

Hillman is not going to be in the slot if he can't pass protect. If he can't pass protect, he isn't going to see the field at all, plain and simple.

There's a reason that the Colts kept Joseph Addai around as their starter while Peyton Manning was the Colt's starting QB, and it wasn't because Addai was a supremely talented runner. Someone bust out that "God damnit Donald!" clip.

2 people like this

Im still taking him as a late round flier regardless of his pass protection in my keeper league. hopefully he comes on late in the season or is the starter by next season.