Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mpbaseball22

Mike Olt 3B CHC

I think this guy has always been an overrated prospect. The Rangers should have traded him last year while he was hot and his stock was up.

You consider 28 HR in in 354 ABs to be overrated? Olt had an 7.9% HR rate, better than Wil Myers (7.1%), and 2012's top minor league home run hitter Darin Ruf (7.7%). If he would have gotten as many ABs as Wil Myers (522 ABs) he would have hit 41 HRs, making him the top home run hitter in the minor leagues. He certainly ranked among the best power hitters in the minors, so I would not call that overrated at all. Everything was pointing towards a successful 2013 season. Trading him would have been an error on the part of the Rangers, especially considering Adrian Beltre is now 34.

Just my personal opinion. I believe the Rangers should have traded him when his prospect status was really climbing last year for a solid pitcher. I know what his stats were, but like you said Ruf also mashed and we see Delmon Young getting at bats over him. I just think he was over rated and could end up being a serviceable MLB player, but not a stud. I also am a UCONN alum so you would expect me to be one of the people over rating him.

Well it's just tough to tell what his future holds at this point. The power is legit, but he will never be given a real chance to play at the major league level unless this vision thing is cleared up. He could be a stud, but at the same time he could become an average 3B. It's all up in the air right now. Let's just hope his vision improves and he has a chance to perform in the majors so we can see how he pans out.

Moreland hurt. Rangers guys saying Mike might be called up. Worth an add? I know Ron seems to not like playing prospects like when he was called up last year and just sat the bench.

So any word? Is he really getting the call?

just saw the Moreland injury, I dont think its too bad ... of course keep an eye on the situation but i think itll be a 15 day DL at worst. Therefore any Olt callup would be very temporary, not sure if the Rangers would bother calling him for such a short stint. Who knows tho Moreland injury could be worse than he made it out to be.

Chris McGuiness got the call instead, which makes sense since Olt is just now returning to baseball after correcting his vision issues. He still needs time to get back into baseball mode and condition.

Might see him after the ASB if his vision issues are laid to rest, but not this soon after not playing any ball for over a month.

Anyone think Texas is going to use this as a way to keep Profar in the lineup once Kinsler comes back. Kinsler/Berkman in Right/1st Base while keeping Profar at second?

looks like he's back on track, granted, in the pcl.

"Olt is hitting .323 with four homers and 10 RBIs in his last 31 at-bats." Article as of July 20.

If Olt is traded to the Cubs as part of a Garza trade, you think he will play 3B or 1B ?

If Olt is traded to the Cubs as part of a Garza trade, you think he will play 3B or 1B ?

he's not being traded there to unseat Rizzo.

Would he be immediately called up? The platoon of Valbuena and Ransom aren't exactly a roadblock.

Would he be immediately called up? The platoon of Valbuena and Ransom aren't exactly a roadblock.

Olt has been awful this season - in the PCL. He's not going anywhere this year.

Looks like he's involved in a deal for Garza that will send him to the Cubs?

If Olt goes to the Cubs, my guess is he stays in the minors unless Valbuena gets traded, and then he still may stay in the minors as Junior Lake looked good in his first game in the majors, and his primary position in AAA was 3B. The Cubs aren't trying to rush anything. He'll probably get time by the end of the year, but immediately I would say 100% minors unless Valbuena goes... and then 75%.

Olt is the player whose medicals have made the deal possibly fall through. Supposedly the medicals were so concerning that any future agreement is going to without Olt involved at all.

Olt is the player whose medicals have made the deal possibly fall through. Supposedly the medicals were so concerning that any future agreement is going to without Olt involved at all.

Don't let the facts get in the way. Olt is on the move to Chicago; it was Neil Ramirez's medicals that held it up.

Don't let the facts get in the way. Olt is on the move to Chicago; it was Neil Ramirez's medicals that held it up.

Actually it was both. That's why originally there were 2 Cubs included in the deal. Now it's just Garza and the Rangers are adding 2 ptnbl.

Wonder if the Cubs will bring Olt straight up to the majors...I think maybe a few weeks in the minors to adjust and then up early August. Total speculation.

As a Cubs fan Im really hoping Mike Olt turns into Chris Davis.

I don't see that happening. If you want to pin your hopes on a power hitter in the Cubs' system, you're much better off with Bryant, who at least isn't damaged goods like Olt.

I don't see that happening. If you want to pin your hopes on a power hitter in the Cubs' system, you're much better off with Bryant, who at least isn't damaged goods like Olt.

I agree, I like Bryant much more then Olt, but I was just using that comparison since Olt has struggled in his brief big league career, Davis did too with the O's (though much longer then Olt) Olt might be a Mark Reynolds type with a better glove and ill take that. Cubs are stacked with young talent.