Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Harsh

The Electronic Fireplace Thread

Any good shows on? I've never really been huge on TV (just watch MLB Network, ESPN and THC), but lately I've developed an interest in watching all the acclaimed series on my computer.

Breaking Bad's fifth season starts on July 15th. I just tore through the first four seasons in less than two weeks. I love how all the characters are constantly going through a revolving door: sympathetic, unsympathetic, good action, bad action, stupid action - all justified, of course. It's a great show. Hopefully Walt becomes the biggest distributor in the Southwest now that his path is clear. At this point, it's pretty obvious he does it to feel dominant, exultant, and alive. I guess money wouldn't hurt, either, since Skylar decided to become a one-man charity.

Speaking of which, the last scene in S4E10, where Walter is desperately searching for the "rainy day money" and finds out Skylar gave it away, is absolutely brilliant. The writers decided to really show off Bryan Cranston's range by making him descend in to a state of scary (for the viewers and supporting cast) hysteria rather than just get livid. He's deserved every single one of the Emmys he's won.

Game of Thrones just ended. How do you guys think the second season held up compared to the first?

I've also seen the first two seasons of Spartacus (Blood and Sand and the prequel, Legends of the Arena), but I stopped watching this new season about 4 episodes in. Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much dick for my liking. And, no, I'm not discriminating - I'm not a fan of the constant whorehouse/hedonistic pleasure/"Roman gay" scenes, either. It feels like 50% of the storyline takes place next to the nearest orgy. Plus, the new guy just doesn't convey the quiet fortitude of Andy Whitfield (R.I.P.) and the story kinda sucks. There's no conniving or ambition - they're (the ever-depleting, splintered group of rebel gladiators) just running from the much larger Roman army and killing people along the way. Whoop-de-do.

The new season of Dexter (what are we on now, season 7?) should provide some more fun. I love the characters, even if the plot hasn't been good since like season 4 (John Lithgow put on a hell of a performance as Trinity; I miss Doakes: "SURPRISE MOTHERF-----").

Pawn Stars serves as great background noise (all the "information" channels do, IMO). How does Rick have a readily available good buddy that happens to be an expert for every single f--king thing that comes in to his shop?

I'm about to start The Sopranos. Been holding off way too long. Thinking about watching The Wire, Boardwalk Empire, Mad Men, Rome, and The Walking Dead after. Also considering Six Feet Under, Entourage, Calfornication, and Deadwood. This whole marathon thing is addicting/way too unproductive, I tell ya...

Also a huge fan of Breaking Bad and Dexter as well as some of the other shows listed; would highly recommend The Sopranos, The Wire, The Walking Dead, Entourage, Californication. All very very good shows.

Also a huge fan of Breaking Bad and Dexter as well as some of the other shows listed; would highly recommend The Sopranos, The Wire, The Walking Dead, Entourage, Californication. All very very good shows.

The Wire is a must, best series Ive ever watched. Walking Dead is some good stuff too, theres a marathon of that coming up on AMC I think on July 1 or something? If you havent watched that show, Id make sure to watch or record the marathon and get caught up for season 3.

I'm about to start The Sopranos. Been holding off way too long. Thinking about watching The Wire, Boardwalk Empire, Mad Men, Rome, and The Walking Dead after. Also considering Six Feet Under, Entourage, Calfornication, and Deadwood. This whole marathon thing is addicting/way too unproductive, I tell ya...

The Sopranos is pretty good, I thought a bit over rated but I enjoyed it. I've seen some of The Wire and am working my want through it. B'more was right up 95 from me! Deadwood is one of the top 5 shows I've ever seen. The first two seasons are almost perfect if violence and profanity don't bother you. It never got a proper ending so if you want to see things wrapped up, you'll be disappointed.....

If you don't have pay cable, then some freebies for the summer that I watch as silly releases. Suits is light and airy fun. Totally ridiculous premise but the acting is all very good and the women (specifically Meghan Markle) are nice to look at (Firefly's Gina Torres is in it!).

I watch Falling Skies, pretty much b/c it's the only space invaders sci-fi show on right now. It actually has good production value considering it's on TNT and the leads are capable, but it still lack something. But it does have an actress named Moon.

I've been trying to get into Longmire. It's a new show based on a series of books and I like Westerns. Circles around a newly widowed sherrif in Wyoming. Great landscape but it's pacing is deliberate so if you're ADDH, then it may not be for you. I like Hell on Wheels (filming it's 2nd season) too, as a Western fan.

Breaking Bad is good, and I like Spartacus...it's very 300. The most recent season finale will make it all worth it for you.

Dexter is probably my favorite show that is currently still active. I'd definitely recommend The Sopranos, although things sure slow down in the latter seasons. Entourage is good, kind of becomes a parody of itself in the latter seasons. I'm a fan of The Walking Dead, although season 2 was sooooooo slow for about 90% of it.

If you want some other recommendations...The Shield is possibly my favorite show ever.

Friday Night Lights is full of awesome.

Lost and Person of Interest are also quality viewing.

Louie needs some love in this thread. One of the funniest shows on Tv. Season just started June 28th.

Deadwood baby! My favorite cable show of all time, though no complaints about the first 3 seasons of Sopranos, or any of The Wire. Disagree wit Patrick Bateman show didn't end properly-- yeah, there was supposed to be a 4th season before behind-the-scenes fighting between HBO and show's creator killed it but the finale was very true to life, it just happened to be a very very bleak view of the world, but that was fitting to Deadwood's quite cynical themes too. The creator of the show studied 19th century dialect closely, then added modern profanity to create almost a made-up form of English which combined antiquated vocabulary and the foulest, flthiest curses out there. Loved it. :D The show got better each year as the actors (who were universally excellent) got into the rhythm of the characters and language, was a shame only lasted 3 years but then again didn't have to watch a long slow decline like happened to the Sopranos. The Sopranos and The Wire justifiably lauded but IMO Deadwood is HBO's hidden gem, the one that in 10 years may hold up better than The Wire.

The Walking Dead, The League, The Office, Parks and Recreation, Seinfeld. Curb Your Enthusiasm, Falling Skies.

Too early to call it great, but HBO's Newsroom has been a staple for me so far

Hell on Wheels is back!!!! Post-Civil War Western at it's best (on TV)......If you like discovery of the American West and our relations with the plains Indians, it's a fun little series.....

The Wire, The Shield, The Soprano's are all must watches imo. Californication is a good show, has it's moments. If you like GOT which I love, you should watch The Borgias on SHO. There was also a show on SHO called Brotherhood which was good, although the series was cut short which sucked...

Obviously Dexter is also a must watch. I find most of the SHO and HBO series are really well written and acted. The things they can do that Network TV can't is amazing.

And for the record, Game of Thrones is INSANE! One of my favorites. I have to read the books now. Although it won't be the same without seeing Dany in the nude lol.

Been watching this show on Syfy "Alphas". Check it out.

Psych is back. Love that show. This past season finale was crazy.

Arrested Development...season 4...finally available!!! I'm too excited right now... :D :D :D

The 3rd, and final, season of Spartacus was one of the better seasons of TV that I've seen.

A greatly under-appreciated series in general. I already recommended it in this thread back in 2012, but hey.

The 3rd, and final, season of Spartacus was one of the better seasons of TV that I've seen.

A greatly under-appreciated series in general. I already recommended it in this thread back in 2012, but hey.

It was a great season with a great ending. All the characters new and old were displayed perfectly. Hope they have the Caesar spin off show.

Ive got HBO Go and been watching a lot of Entourage and Curb Your Enthusiasm sprinkled in with some Wire.

For network TV......Hannibal has been greatness. I think it may get cancelled sadly but it's worth it thus far.

For network TV......Hannibal has been greatness. I think it may get cancelled sadly but it's worth it thus far.

As good as it gets. The quality is on par with vintage Dexter, but with the added bonus of better writing (especially dialogue). I'm surprised by how violent it can get considering it's on network television, but it's all part of the charm.

I never would've thought this, but Mads Mikkelson has replaced Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal in my head; he plays the more alluring sociopath, although, of course, different circumstances (being free vs. being imprisoned). Really, all the actors are cast very well.

And it's been renewed!

I've enjoyed Hannibal as well. I actually rewatched Red Dragon a few nights ago and noticed quite the difference between Norton's portrayal of Will Graham and Hugh Dancy's version. Dancy's version of him is much, much more neurotic and unstable while Norton's version, well, he basically just seemed like a normal detective that was extremely brilliant. I thought that was interesting, never read the books, but I'm guessing the TV Show's version is more authentic. Great news that it was picked up!

Another show that I started watching (and can't believe I was this late too) is Archer. Wow, I absolutely love this show, reminds me so much of an animated version of Arrested Development (which I also love); that humor is so awesome IMO...

As good as it gets. The quality is on par with vintage Dexter, but with the added bonus of better writing (especially dialogue). I'm surprised by how violent it can get considering it's on network television, but it's all part of the charm.

I never would've thought this, but Mads Mikkelson has replaced Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal in my head; he plays the more alluring sociopath, although, of course, different circumstances (being free vs. being imprisoned). Really, all the actors are cast very well.

And it's been renewed!

The art direction, cinematography and imagery are amazing on the show. The best I've seen in quite awhile. I have to fully agree about Mads. He's owning the F'n show. He was so smart to go a different direction with Lector rather than try and an impersonate or give homage to Hopkins' or even Cox's versions. This Hannibal is much more controlled, astutue, and much less playful but still with a hint of slyness. He lifts the entire show.

I actually rewatched Red Dragon a few nights ago and noticed quite the difference between Norton's portrayal of Will Graham and Hugh Dancy's version. Dancy's version of him is much, much more neurotic and unstable while Norton's version, well, he basically just seemed like a normal detective that was extremely brilliant.

I like the way they've reworked his character but it's a bit too emo for me. I guess it's a necessary construct to get much of the amazing imagery in the show but his Graham is almost too unbalanced. Too emotive. But that's JMO. I think there's probably a happy medium b/w Dancy's version or even Peterson's (better than Norton) more mainstream masculine hero.

And the show has F'n Scully!!!! Stoked it got a 2nd season and hope the audience grows. I read they were shopping to cable channels, where it may be better suited b/c of the content. However, on cable it may not have the budget to keep players like Fishbourne or Anderson. I thought it was interesting to see Fogler in a different type of role and cool to see Torres and Fishbourne act together considering they're real life spouses....

I started watching Hannibal because of this thread and I'm on episode three. Very good show and extrordinarily well acted.